Bilge pumps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I have two Rule pumps in my bilge, one aft and one forward. I have never paid much attention to them. I have replaced the larger rule once and bought a spare to have on board. I assume both have automatic, off, and manual capability since that is what is on the switches. I find there is always a quantity of water in the bilge. This season it seems more than usual. I know the larger pump works on manual and water level has never gotten excessive. I have always assumed the automatic worked and that the float was simply set at a height which allows some water to stay in the bilge.. The vessel is close to 50 years old and the sea cocks are Greco rubber stopper type which I grease every year. They are free and work great but I am starting to think the flange to boat may be leaking very slightly. Started looking into this whole situation and did not find many good reviews regarding rule bilge pumps. Most were negative and frightening since it is hard to determine if the automatic switch is functioning. Anyone have experience with other pumps or any suggestions. I will be installing new Greco seacocks this winter and checking out or replacing the bilge pumps.
Ken

You can check to see if the float switch is working by manually lifting it and see if it activates the pump. If that works and you are still suspicious, then (if your bilge is free of oil) take a hose and fill your bilge with fresh water and see if the float switch activates.

Typically for the Rule float switches you need about 2" of water at the switch to activate them and they will shut off when there is 3/4" of water at the switch.

The "fill the bilge with a hose" is the only method I would trust. Yeah you can lift the float with a tool but that only shows the contacts work, not weather the water level rising will work. And then (almost as important) does the thing turn off when the water level falls?

If it doesn't the pump will run dry and destroy the seal and perhaps burn out and then you don't have a bilge pump anymore.

I would suggest becoming certain about the 'automatic' vs manual etc concerning your bilge pumps. The time to pay attention to them is NOT when you need them but when you are safe at the dock. They should also have power directly from the batteries (they should still have power when the battery switches are all 'off') with a fuse.

It might be helpful to put a counter display on your bilge switches so you can tell if the pumps run a lot when you are not around to notice. But once you have checked them out enough to not have to assume anything about them you will probably know how much of an issue it is.

Back
Top Bottom