Best open-top tool bag?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I am yet again looking for an open-top tool bag. I've owned a dozen or more over the years - C+ is as good as they get for me as there just aren't enough pockets.

What are folks using? I see these VETO PRO bags which I'm leaning towards. Yes, $200 seems like a lot but having spent a LOT more than that on luggage and briefcases when I worked, I don't mind.....if it's the right tool for the job.

Thoughts?

Peter

Attachments

• Tool Bags.jpg
    Tool Bags.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Don't see your "HERE" link, but I can say the big Milwaukee bag I'm using is working OK. That particular one is mostly for main (organized) storage and usually too heavy to carry, though. Bigger than their 20" Packout Tote. Don't find it on their site, just now...

-Chris

Last edited:
Nice timing! Just bought the Veto tool bag. This is the large size. Some perspective-Im super cheap. I was not shopping for a tool bag or need one. I was at Fisheries Supply in Seattle and glanced over at the Veto display. Sales guy pounced and gave me a demo. Done deal! I rationalized I needed to replace the cheapo plastic toolbox.

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6274.jpeg
    IMG_6274.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 39
Nice timing! Just bought the Veto tool bag. This is the large size. Some perspective-Im super cheap. I was not shopping for a tool bag or need one. I was at Fisheries Supply in Seattle and glanced over at the Veto display. Sales guy pounced and gave me a demo. Done deal! I rationalized I needed to replace the cheapo plastic toolbox.
Do you know what model bag you bought? It looks a bit big. The first open-top tool bag I bought 15-20 years ago was pretty big and it's just too heavy by the time I forget stuff in the bottom.

Also, the VETO description relies on removable insert panels for different layouts. Do you find these useful? Is the bag useful for a variety of tools? Some pliers and side cutters are wide and don't fit well in other bags. Finding a place for even a narrow putty knife can be awkward.

Thoughts?

Peter
Don't see your "HERE" link, but I can say the big Milwaukee bag I'm using is working OK. That particular one is mostly for main (organized) storage and usually too heavy to carry, though. Bigger than their 20" Packout Tote. Don't find it on their site, just now...

-Chris

Apologies Chris - I hit <SEND> before I finished composing the post. I have edited and re-posted. As mentioned above, the bigger tote is too heavy for me too so I have my eye on a smaller size (10", perhaps a bit bigger)

Peter

This is the model I have. There is one size smaller, which was tempting if I had to travel, but Im only using it to move around the boat. There are several pouches pliers, side cutters, etc that will work. Two pockets inside will fit the longer channel locks. Several pockets for puddy knives, smaller pockets for pens, screwdrivers etc. you could also use the numerous small pockets for pliers-two pockets for each handle. The Velcro interior panels aren’t necessary for me but I could see a use for removing and having a place to put tools so they don’t roll off the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_6276.png
    IMG_6276.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 15
For me, this is one of a few grab-bags and tool rolls. But its my primary bag - the go-to that has what I need for 80% of the adjustments/tweaks and small jobs I need to do. As a matter of fact, half the time the bag stays put and I just grab something I need - utility knife, hammer, screwdriver, etc. You get the idea. A 10-inch tool bag seems to hold what I need, just looking for feedback on decent options with plenty of pockets; and whether the ones labled "electrician" work okay - maybe too many pockets?

Thanks to all so far -

Peter

I lean towards the Klein bag. It’s got a lot of pockets for the variety of screwdriver types you need these days, plus room for strippers, crimpers, volt meter, wrenches or wrench roll.
Good size for an all around bag so it won’t get too heavy. I like to supplement my open top bag with a backpack type that opens like a book. That’s where I keep my bigger stuff that’s still portable, plus more comprehensive wrench collections, some sockets and crow foot wrenches, small screw bins, etc…
I had a bag like the husky with the little zipper pocket on the bottom for a little bin organizer but it was too difficult to get it in and out. That style is permanently off my list.
I wear out bags fairly quickly, none of them can stand up to sharp stuff like files and sharp pointed tools for long, so I just can’t justify spending $200 for a bag unless it’s something really special.

I’m not easy on bags either. Picked up a couple from Harbor Freight that fit the bill for cheap

I wear out bags fairly quickly, none of them can stand up to sharp stuff like files and sharp pointed tools for long, so I just can’t justify spending $200 for a bag unless it’s something really special.

$200 for a tool bag seemed nuts to me too (my wife was a bit more animated). @Mac2 response #3 above definitely got me thinking and I'll probably pull the trigger on it.

When I re-entered Corporate America as a management consultant, I was traveling every week - out Monday, return Thursday.....50+ weeks per year plus personal travel. I tried a couple suitcases that either were not sturdy, didnt fit well in overhead bins, or didn't have usable pockets for my preferences. The search continued and I came across a Hartmann that was perfect.....except the model I liked was only made in belting leather. It was insanely expensive but I swallowed hard and coughed-up the dough. What a great bag for me! It lasted 15-years of heavy travel enduring 1000's of flights, 1000's of car trunks, 1000's of curbs and 100's of miles of city streets. I replaced one of the rubber tires, and replaced the handle once, all of which Hartmann covered under warranty. Despite its ridiculous price, it owes me nothing. I still have the bag - beautiful patina that will outlast me.

The Veto Pro Pack strikes me as a similar decision. Besides, it will probably have several hundred dollars worth of tools in it. Might as well go with the best quality I can find. In all candor, given the complexity of the bag with all the pockets, $200 seems pretty reasonable.

Will let you know -

Peter

Last edited:
One thing about TF, you guys always find ways for me to spend more money.

My tool box is a medium size plastic box that stays in the after lazarette. It is good that it keeps the tool secure and safe and in its location it is relatively handy and doesn't shift around at all. The downside is that it is really hard to find the tool I need. Always the tool that I need is in the bottom for some reason. Maybe a bag would be a good idea.

A number of years ago I found a rigger's bag that works perfectly for all my splicing gear and it will hold my supply of different dynema 12 braid that I use so much. Maybe it is time to think about something similar for my tools.

The other thing I have discovered over the past two weeks is that I need a larger and better electrical tool box. Currently, I have parts and tools spread all over the salon.

Last edited:
This is the model I have. There is one size smaller, which was tempting if I had to travel, but Im only using it to move around the boat. There are several pouches pliers, side cutters, etc that will work. Two pockets inside will fit the longer channel locks. Several pockets for puddy knives, smaller pockets for pens, screwdrivers etc. you could also use the numerous small pockets for pliers-two pockets for each handle. The Velcro interior panels aren’t necessary for me but I could see a use for removing and having a place to put tools so they don’t roll off the boat.
I think I have the same one as Mac2. It's expensive, but very well made and lots of pockets. The material is quite stiff and difficult to load up initially, but it seems to have eased up a bit now. I can do 80% of my projects out of the bag, and for the remaining 20% I grab whatever I need from my tool boxes. It is on the large side. Like Weebles, I have had a lot of cheap bags over the years that have be C+ bags, so I decided to try a good one. So far I like it.

The Veto Pro Pack strikes me as a similar decision. Besides, it will probably have several hundred dollars worth of tools in it. Might as well go with the best quality I can find. In all candor, given the complexity of the bag with all the pockets, $200 seems pretty reasonable.
The Veto is that type of bag. The quality and thought process is immediately noticeable. The rubber bottom portion is also a big plus-specifically designed for boaters-it will not slide away or mold/rot if you set it on a wet surface. Can you tell the salesman made a big impression on me. :)

One thing about TF, you guys always find ways for me to spend more money.

My tool box is a medium size plastic box that stays in the after lazarette. It is good that it keeps the tool secure and safe and in its location it is relatively handy and doesn't shift around at all. The downside is that it is really hard to find the tool I need. Always the tool that I need is in the bottom for some reason. Maybe a bag would be a good idea.

A number of years ago I found a rigger's bag that works perfectly for all my splicing gear and it will hold my supply of different dynema 12 braid that I use so much. Maybe it is time to think about something similar for my tools.

The other thing I have discovered over the past two weeks is that I need a larger and better electrical tool box. Currently, I have parts and tools spread all over the salon.

Veto Pro Pack has a Marine line with rubber bottom so it doesn't scuff fancy yacht surfaces. Included in their marine line is a riggers bag that looked like it would work fine for general tool bag, not just rigging. Riggers Bag for Boat Rigger Tool Storage - VetoProPac

@dhays - I'd encourage you to try a tool bag - I keep the bag turned so I can grab a screwdriver, utility knife, and scissors without moving the bag. I know location of pliers (several flavors), side-cutters, and adjustable wrenches so can almost grab them by feel.

The Husky bags are a decent value. Over the years, I've found a 10-in x 10-in bag is pretty handy without getting too heavy. I can set a driver in there for carrying. Attached is what prompted me to start this thread - a PoS Stanley bag I bought in Mexico several years ago. It works, but I'm tired of everything ending up in the bottom (partly my fault, I know).

Peter

Attachments

• Tool Bag Cheapo.jpg
    Tool Bag Cheapo.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 15

How convenient and useful is the center compartment? I'm thinking of large crescent wrench, hack saw, and 3/8 drive hex socket rails.

How convenient and useful is the center compartment? I'm thinking of large crescent wrench, hack saw, and 3/8 drive hex socket rails.
No problem. I got the bigger bag just for the purpose of fitting a hack saw, large pipe wrench, tin snips, etc. You can also remove one or both interior tool pouches (velcroed in) to make more room if needed.

Veto Pro Pack has a Marine line with rubber bottom so it doesn't scuff fancy yacht surfaces. Included in their marine line is a riggers bag that looked like it would work fine for general tool bag, not just rigging. Riggers Bag for Boat Rigger Tool Storage - VetoProPac

@dhays - I'd encourage you to try a tool bag - I keep the bag turned so I can grab a screwdriver, utility knife, and scissors without moving the bag. I know location of pliers (several flavors), side-cutters, and adjustable wrenches so can almost grab them by feel.

Yeah, this is a timely thread as I've been frustrated over the past few weeks with managing my tools. It doesn't help that I'm one of those folks that will absently set a part or tool down in an odd location (usually in plain sight) and then I waste time looking for it. I think an open top bag like the riggers bag I have would be good, but at the same time I can see advantages to a closed top bag as well.

The other storage issue is that I aways have a bunch of small tools, parts, bits that live in the ubiquitous removeable tray that is the top of a tool box. Both useful and annoying...

Thanks for the thread, I made good use and ordered up 2 of these Husky's, one for light mechanical and the other electrical. I've been using some cheap zipper compartment roll ups and while they work good, you can't see what's in each compartment until you unzip. These will be easy to tell and easy to grab and small enough they won't get in the way.

Sweet!

No problem. I got the bigger bag just for the purpose of fitting a hack saw, large pipe wrench, tin snips, etc. You can also remove one or both interior tool pouches (velcroed in) to make more room if needed.
yes, a hack saw is another one that is in my tool box.

Way too expensive, but this monster is about the same footprint as my toolbox, closes, and would be much better at organizing my tools. It is a closed top bag, but the side folds down to access a bunch of pockets.

1726164428595.png

Last edited:
The lots-of-little-outside-pockets design of most tool bags is a dealbreaker for me, that's how tools wind up in the water.
(I've lectured my other half long and loud enough about always closing the tops of bags before handing them on/off the boat, I need to heed my own advice)

I have a old and less-yachty version of this thing #711 Original Nantucket Diddy Bagg - Tall Canvas Tool Tote

I'm ready for an upgrade, but I want something more contained than most of what I see in the current market.

The lots-of-little-outside-pockets design of most tool bags is a dealbreaker for me, that's how tools wind up in the water.
(I've lectured my other half long and loud enough about always closing the tops of bags before handing them on/off the boat, I need to heed my own advice)

I have a old and less-yachty version of this thing #711 Original Nantucket Diddy Bagg - Tall Canvas Tool Tote

I'm ready for an upgrade, but I want something more contained than most of what I see in the current market.
That is why I am leaning towards a closed top bag. If an open top bag gets knocked over, you can lose a tool, a tool gets wet, or you simply have to spend time picking things up. Also why I don't want a particularly tall bag.

I have had a couple of Klein bags and they seemed indestructible. These are bags I bought probably 50 years ago, and sold once I stopped climbing towers.

The Husky bags are a decent value. Over the years, I've found a 10-in x 10-in bag is pretty handy without getting too heavy. I can set a driver in there for carrying. Attached is what prompted me to start this thread - a PoS Stanley bag I bought in Mexico several years ago. It works, but I'm tired of everything ending up in the bottom (partly my fault, I know).

Peter
That Rigger's Bag looks like a nice size, but I wasn't thrilled about the offset carrying handle. The offset is important for someone who carries the bag strapped to themselves somehow, but it you are just carrying from place to place on the boat, it struck me as awkward. But maybe it isn't.

I checked and I have the MB TT which I suspect is the same one that Mac2 has. In a perfect world I'd like one a touch smaller since the MB TT is a bit bulky and heavy to schlep around the boat when full. However the plus side to the larger size is that I can load it with stuff specific to a job, like a VOM for electric work, or blue tape, sealant, etc. for boat fittings, etc. So I have just adapted to use it's advantages and put up with the larger size.

Ah. The reason I didn't find mine on the Milwaukee site.. is because it's actually from Husky.

Husky 20" Tote Bag with Removable Tool Wall.

(Don't know why the Walmart links says "Robot or Human")

Decent organization. I have metric and SAE wrenches in individual roll-ups, ditto metric and SAE sockets on rails in zip bags... and all that lays nicely in the big Tote pocket.

I still need a smaller bag to schlepp temporary "job-site" tools, though.

-Chris

I am experimenting with a different route this time. Multiple small bags rather than some monster to do it all.

Craftsman 13 in. W X 9.75 in. H Wide Mouth Tool Bag 6 pocket Black/Red Mfr# CMST513100 - Ace Hardware

Easier to stow into odd corners. Easier to lift.

Cheap.
Same issue as everyone else; big bag was too heavy. I use a 10" for electrical tools/supplies and a 12" for ratchets, sockets, wrenches, and a roll up for screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches, etc. It took me a couple iterations to get things usably organized between the rollup and the socket/wrench bag. However, I've found that I rarely use more than one tool collection at a time. Works for me maybe it gives you some ideas for your own organization.

The bags themselves are from HF, they have no internal bag organizers which is limiting.

Reactions: FWT
I always liked the old school riggers bag. 1 for electrical, 1 for carpentry, 1 for mechanical.
Used to buy the Harbor Freight knock off 6 at a time. but they don't list them anymore.
For the money the Husky hard bottoms stand up pretty well. The service trucks are set up for the Milwaukee pack outs now but they get to be a wagon rolling down the dock pretty fast.
Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 09-02-38 Bucket Boss - Original Rigger’s Bag - Natural Tool Bags - Or...png

I always liked the old school riggers bag. 1 for electrical, 1 for carpentry, 1 for mechanical.
Used to buy the Harbor Freight knock off 6 at a time. but they don't list them anymore.
For the money the Husky hard bottoms stand up pretty well. The service trucks are set up for the Milwaukee pack outs now but they get to be a wagon rolling down the dock pretty fast.View attachment 158115
this is the bag that I use for my spicing gear. It works well, but I do have it stuffed too full.

I decided to go with a cheap 20" Chinese bag from Amazon to use as an electrical bag. My thought it will hold the tools such as multi-tester, crimping tools, heat gun, as well as all the crimp connectors, electrical tape, cable tie downs, screws, zip ties, heat shrink and the small spools of wire that I have from 10 to 20 gauge. I'll see how it works. If I like the functionality, but not the quality, I then may spring for a higher quality bag. OTOH, if it is "good enough" I'll have found a cheap option.

If I like the bag approach, I may then get a more substantial bag to replace my big tool box for all the mechanical tools.

Back
Top Bottom