Boat deliveries between Canada and US occurring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you considered working with a customs broker? That's their business and they know all the ins and outs. Customs is used to working with them and trusts them.

According to post #10 a customs broker is involved. Whether Alan T's successful or not this thread seems to indicate the hazards of Internet posting. :eek:

According to post #10 a customs broker is involved. Whether Alan T's successful or not this thread seems to indicate the hazards of Internet posting. :eek:
Yes, we have definitely put doubt into his mind and probably increased his mental angst! :facepalm:
However, if he has engaged a custom's broker, and there is written approval from both country's customs agencies, then it should go OK.:dance:
According to some posts on Trawler Forum, Trevor Brice, owner of North Pacific Yachts is moving some boats across from Canada to Blaine, Wash. I would think that Trevor would have checked all of this out?

I wish Alan good luck and truly hope that all goes without a hitch.

He's playing with fire. This is trying to find a way to circumvent current rules. It's like any search for a loophole. There's a chance it works, but a risk it backfires in a major way.

He's playing with fire. This is trying to find a way to circumvent current rules. It's like any search for a loophole. There's a chance it works, but a risk it backfires in a major way.

I do want to clarify one thing. I am not trying to find a way to circumvent any rules, I am a big believer of following rules, especially those of the immigration/border patrol/coast guard etc. I was quite happy to wait until the Q was over, however the customs broker and immigration officials on both sides of the border are apparently on board with the plan I described and which was shared with them in detail. I will not be crossing any border. The boat will either be delivered to me to US at which point ownership will be transferred or it won't and I won't own the boat.

I should add that the professional captains, both Canadian, have to be satisfied with the arrangement or they would not risk 14 days quarantine for a short boat delivery.

~Alan

You might wish to completely confirm your information. Your quoted scenario of "not being treated any differently than a Canadian boat sailing into US waters Before returning to a Canadian port without having landed in the US." I think you may find that US Customs will have a different point of view. The boat HAS landed on US soil, and the Captain (not the boat's owner--but the one who sailed her from Canada) has brought her there. The Captain must clear customs...and I don't believe this can be accomplished without climbing down on the dock and likely going to the Custom's booth. That said, returning in a chase boat to Canada, the returning Captain may or may not have to quarantine (it sounds like it is up to the discretion of the individual Customs Officer.)

Hopefully I'm wrong...but doubt it.
Cheers,
Mike
M/V Forever Friday

I am not too involved with the Canadian side of the transaction. I only take ownership once it is imported to the US and am not responsible for the arrangements of getting it to the US. However maybe it is analogous to the local float plane pilots that take off in the US, land in BC, take on passengers, but do not legally go through immigration, then do the same at the US side. The passengers of course have to go through immigration but not the float plane captains, although they do in fact step on the floating pier to tie up their planes during their brief stops. We shall see............. ~Alan

I do want to clarify one thing. I am not trying to find a way to circumvent any rules, I am a big believer of following rules, especially those of the immigration/border patrol/coast guard etc. I was quite happy to wait until the Q was over, however the customs broker and immigration officials on both sides of the border are apparently on board with the plan I described and which was shared with them in detail. I will not be crossing any border. The boat will either be delivered to me to US at which point ownership will be transferred or it won't and I won't own the boat.

I should add that the professional captains, both Canadian, have to be satisfied with the arrangement or they would not risk 14 days quarantine for a short boat delivery.

~Alan

They're on board, until they're not. I hope for your sake they remain on board. I do believe they're all pushing the envelope and doing something outside what would be the norm, and yes, while I don't say you're circumventing, they've devised a scheme to circumvent the normal rules. Yes, they've asked the right people and gotten agreement, but I've seen such situations blow up too many times when a different person becomes involved or one person's memory fades and they suddenly say that's not how they understood it. I would be anxious every moment.

All they have to do is treat a delivery captain or tow boat operator the same as a truck driver..the boarder closing is to stop spreading of the virus not to stop commerce or to keep you from your property. How about contacting your congress rep and see if they can influence the process.

I am not too involved with the Canadian side of the transaction. I only take ownership once it is imported to the US and am not responsible for the arrangements of getting it to the US. However maybe it is analogous to the local float plane pilots that take off in the US, land in BC, take on passengers, but do not legally go through immigration, then do the same at the US side. The passengers of course have to go through immigration but not the float plane captains, although they do in fact step on the floating pier to tie up their planes during their brief stops. We shall see............. ~Alan

Alan
Careful how much info you share! They're individuals here that will not tolerate someone else getting "special" treatment, even though it is not. They missed the point, "the seller and buyer have employed a customs broker"! The broker assumes the risk, you(seller) pays for that!
When I leave for Canada with a crate of goods, my customs broker has assured CA customs, he has a list of the items, what is legal and taxable. I can send anyone to deliver those goods!

What you said about floatplanes is not true! When I land in CA, take on passengers(come in contact with non US cleared people) I am now tainted (non cleared). The plane, passengers, crew, freight is subject to US Customs/Immigration!
Suggesting a crew member has immunity, because they did not clear CA Customs, is not true.
Flights Seattle to Victoria/Vancouver return Seattle: the crew remains on board in YYJ/YVR, return to SEA, they MUST/ WILL clear US Customs/immigration.

You might assume they do not, you do not see the agent go down to the plane to "Ramp check" them!

On your "adventure", I know personally of boats being delivered everyday. Everyone is using a "Customs Broker!"

Jim

Delivery to SE Alaska

A delivery skipper left Anacortes last week for Southeast AK with a 32ish Bayliner with no prior arrangements. I asked him to call if he made it through customs. He told me he spent three unpleasant hours in Poet's Cove being grilled, threatened, etc. by CA customs but they eventually let him in. I have no idea what stipulations were made or any other details.
Just a data point.

Duncan

I am in the middle of arranging for a newly purchased boat to be delivered to me in the US from Vancouver area Canada. We finally figured out how to crack this problem. With the approval of both sets of customs/immigration officials our brokers (my buyers broker and the sellers broker) and my customs broker have come up with a proposed solution that legally avoids the quarantine. Not to say that it is cheap!

The Canadian Seller's hired Canadian captain will drive the boat I am buying (Boat A) from Canada to a US port followed by a second "chase boat" (Boat B) also captained by a Canadian. Boat A will tie up in the US port but captain will not step ashore. Instead he will leave Boat A and transfer to boat B which will then return to Canada. Neither delivery captains will have stepped ashore in the US. Consequently we are informed that they will not need to go through customs/immigration in the Canada on his return. (This according to both sets of officials who will be admitting the vessel). Essentially it is being treated no differently than a Canadian boat sailing into US waters before returning to a Canadian port without having landed in the US.

I hope this helps. I would strongly suggest getting a customs agent involved in the process if you decide to proceed on this basis.

It hasn't happened yet, but is scheduled for less than two weeks away. I will board the boat in the US and drive her home. I will let you know how it all turns out!

~A

I just wanted to provide an update to my earlier post. We took delivery yesterday in Bellingham. The Canadian registered boat was brought to the US port, pre arranged with CBP Bellingham. He dropped the boat off at the marina and after welcoming the CBP on board he left on board a following chase boat to head back to Canada. As soon as the CBP were finished with the importation the title company was notified and wired the funds to seller and provided us with our title, registration, import papers. We are now happy new owners. All went exactly as we had been told to expect by seller's broker (who arranged the details described above).
~Alan

Glad to hear that all went well, and congrats on the new boat.
The one thing I am not clear on (and that is not important that I am clear) is how the Can. Capt. avoided a quarantine, especially since he was on board your boat when US Customs came on board?
Oh well, it went well.

All went exactly as we had been told to expect by seller's broker (who arranged the details described above).
Congratulations. Now you really need to tell us who the knowing broker was.
He's worth his weight in prawns.

Glad to hear that all went well, and congrats on the new boat.
The one thing I am not clear on (and that is not important that I am clear) is how the Can. Capt. avoided a quarantine, especially since he was on board your boat when US Customs came on board?
Oh well, it went well.

Best guess, the boat was tied up with the help of US dock crew and after shutting down and securing the boat, the Captain changed over to the chase boat. US Customs initially boarded the boat that did not have a crew/owner onboard aka, a vacant boat.
It may sound a bit confusing but, unless things lighten up, Canadian and US Customs will smooth everything out to the point, just another day on the water.

Best guess, the boat was tied up with the help of US dock crew and after shutting down and securing the boat, the Captain changed over to the chase boat. US Customs initially boarded the boat that did not have a crew/owner onboard aka, a vacant boat.
It may sound a bit confusing but, unless things lighten up, Canadian and US Customs will smooth everything out to the point, just another day on the water.

Canadian captain under the eyes of US CBP who was on the pier but did not assist, stepped ashore to tie up (he was docking a big boat solo in 20kts of wind). Tied boat up, stayed on the floating dock. Let CBP aboard to do the import paperwork. I met him and his chase boat captain on board the (now my) boat, exchanged info on the boat's performance on the delivery etc for an hour and then he (capt) and his chase boat both took off home for Canada. Alls well that ends well!
~A

I don’t think the procedure is very different to that of taking a boat off freighter and clearing customs etc.
The next boat imported from Canada will go even smoother.

Congratulations. Now you really need to tell us who the knowing broker was.
He's worth his weight in prawns.

Happy to share companies involved to anyone that PMs me.

I suspect ,with such a large audience as the internet, one should be cautious talking about what may or may not be happening with cross border transactions.

Happy to share companies involved to anyone that PMs me.

Hi Alan,

I just PM'ed you. I'd like to do the same thing. My boat is stuck in BC and I'd like to bring it in to Washington for the rest of the season. Thanks for posting what turned out to be a successful border transaction. :thumb:

Cheers!

I suspect ,with such a large audience as the internet, one should be cautious talking about what may or may not be happening with cross border transactions.

There is absolutely nothing underhand, suspect or remotely illegal in the open aboveboard transaction we completed. Was it more complicated than renewing your driving license - yes, but there is nothing to be cautious about. I felt that there may be a number of members who may find my experience of some use in repatriating their own vessels, that is the only reason for sharing.

~Alan

I felt that there may be a number of members who may find my experience of some use in repatriating their own vessels, that is the only reason for sharing.
With the border likely closed through the summer, I know more than one family who would be happy to have their boat in US waters.

These are not normal times and I think it showed a level of cross border cooperation, that would not have ordinarily been possible.

There is absolutely nothing underhand, suspect or remotely illegal in the open aboveboard transaction we completed. Was it more complicated than renewing your driving license - yes, but there is nothing to be cautious about. I felt that there may be a number of members who may find my experience of some use in repatriating their own vessels, that is the only reason for sharing.

~Alan

Technically the delivery skipper entered the US and returned to Canada. Did he present himself to Canadian Customs and did he do the 14 day quarantine?

Technically the delivery skipper entered the US and returned to Canada. Did he present himself to Canadian Customs and did he do the 14 day quarantine?

And had contact with those at the dock.

Now, to those who have followed this thread and think they'll copy to get their boat back to the US, one word of caution. The OP's boat was a sale from Canada to US. It was not someone who owned a boat moving it. Therefore, his methods may not be at all possible for someone owning a boat and moving it.

Now, to those who have followed this thread and think they'll copy to get their boat back to the US, one word of caution. The OP's boat was a sale from Canada to US. It was not someone who owned a boat moving it. Therefore, his methods may not be at all possible for someone owning a boat and moving it.
Yes and while I'm too lazy to explore the Canadian Regulations, they are explicit about Canadian operators of US boats and vice versa.

So, every situation should get extreme due diligence and quarantining will be in play as well.

So if I stop to refuel in the Bahamas, did not go ashore, I have to clear customs in and out?
If I had stores delivered to the fuel dock, and I did not go ashore, I have to clear customs in and out of the Bahamas?

Now, I go from the US and visited Bahamian water, not landing, maybe refueling and picking up stores, to travel further, I have to clear customs in the US?

So if I stop to refuel in the Bahamas, did not go ashore, I have to clear customs in and out?
If I had stores delivered to the fuel dock, and I did not go ashore, I have to clear customs in and out of the Bahamas?

Now, I go from the US and visited Bahamian water, not landing, maybe refueling and picking up stores, to travel further, I have to clear customs in the US?

Fuel stops are allowed without checking into Customs in the Bahamas under the “Righ of Innocent Passage” if you are crossing through Bahamian waters to get back to your country. You can’t get off your boat but you can secure water, provisions and fuel.

Fuel stops are allowed without checking into Customs in the Bahamas under the “Righ of Innocent Passage” if you are crossing through Bahamian waters to get back to your country. You can’t get off your boat but you can secure water, provisions and fuel.

Does that work in Cuban waters and Mexican waters?

If you touch land, anchor or conduct business in foreign waters you have to clear Customs when you return to the US. That includes fuel, food and water.

I know nothing about this last area, or details of, but, I caution ensuring that you are in fact following the regulations. Custom's Officers have a lot of power, and don't take kindly to anyone not following the rules. Oh, and you are supposed to know the rules, not knowing is not an excuse.
Caution. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom