Boat Dimension - Newbie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen masts rigged up to a winch like the ones used an an ATV. I like the idea, and I think I have an old winch in the barn, but as you say finding a good mount point at just the right location may be a challenge. And of course they'll rust pretty quickly in a salt water environment.

Even though I knew the Air draft of my GB42 with the mast lowered back to a 45-degree angle, I always remeasured it before setting off on a long trip/cruise. I tape the end of my tape measure's tape to the end of an extendable pole of some sort and stick the pole up to the highest point on the boat. I take the tape to a nearby railing, note the reading and then use a level on a small board which extends outboard over the water. Then I run the end of the tape to touch the water and add the two measurements for total air draft.

BTW most trawlers have a pivot at the bottom of their masts. The trick is to install the hard points necessary to support the rigging necessary to safely lower the mast. I used to be able get mine down from 24 feet to 17 feet in 2.5 minutes. 17 feet was enough for all but the lowest bridges in Florida, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee.

Photo shows my mast in its normally lowered position under my boat shed. Blow it up to see some of the tackle.

I've seen masts rigged up to a winch like the ones used an an ATV. I like the idea, and I think I have an old winch in the barn, but as you say finding a good mount point at just the right location may be a challenge. And of course they'll rust pretty quickly in a salt water environment.

Just knowing its more or less a thing that's either possible or already a feature of the boats we're looking at, actually helps quite a bit. Knowing that takes a big question mark off the table. Makes it a smaller one. :lol:

I agree with the winch though. I'm of the mind, less mechanical the things are, that are on board that can be fowled, the better I'm setting myself up.

I appreciate the feedback, this helped alot. Thank you.

Last edited:

How about a boat trailer winch. They're usually galvanized which can hold up better than stainless, it's just not shiny pretty.

Last edited:

Lots ofGB owners installed a large SS eye with backing plate on the FB dash. You don’t need an electric winch or anything permanent. Just make up a block and tackle with snap hooks at each end and a cam lock at one end. 4:1 minimum, 6:1 is better, just measure before hand ‘cus 6:1 entails more line than you might think! I could raise and lower my GB mast in 2 minutes single handed. (On the GB’s, replacing the forward shroud shackles with gate shackles makes this easier. The aft shrouds don’t need to be released.)

...Of course, it did have a foldable mast. But, correct me if I'm wrong, that's not a standard feature is it?

To answer your question another way: if you're asking is it standard on a Nordhavn... I'd guess not since many of them have a dry stack exhaust going up through the mast.
If you're asking in general, yes it depends but many different manufacturers do offer either folding arches or folding (hinged) masts.
For the same manufacturer it can also change from year model to year model and it depends sometimes on if the original owner asked for it.
For example in my case, our American Tug came with a hinged folding radar mast. It's balanced well enough we do not need hydraulics or anything. Four swing bolts and it will hinge backward towards the dinghy (pic attached).
If you're surfing around looking at boats, you can often see hinge lines in the photos of the upper part of the boat.

swing.jpg

Back
Top Bottom