Boat Name on the Side of the Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABfish

Vessel Name
Dirty Deeds
Vessel Make
Maritimo 48
The wife and I were in southwest Florida recently. We noticed lots of boats that had the name on the transom as well as on the side of the boat, usually on the side of the flybridge.

Heretofore, I have only seen this on very large vessels, say 90 ft. or bigger. I rarely see it in my home waters of North Carolina.

Is this a regional thing, or a new development? I don't particularly like the look, but it can make hailing easier, depending on your vantage point.

It's somewhat a matter of preference for recreational boats. If you're USCG documented for anything other than purely recreational use you need the name on the sides of the bow in addition to the name and hailing port on the stern.

I see it a lot in the PNW. Many boats have a dinghy on the transom, making the name invisible.

For as long as I can remember, at least on the west coast, names have been on the sides. Most common on the command bridge of all sizes, but also on the hull of sunbridges.

USCG documented recreational vessels must have a clearly readable display with the vessel name and hailing port in one location on the hull (typically this is the stern). Letters must not be less than four inches in height. An additional requirement for commercial vessels is to also include the vessel name on both sides of the bow. Recreational vessels may also do this, but it is not required.

Wood placard on the side of the flybridge.
Old School

Navy. Displayed when aboard, removed when not.
Others permanently attached.

I see it a lot in the PNW. Many boats have a dinghy on the transom, making the name invisible.

We have our name on the sides, too. Partly because we could charter if we chose to, but mostly because the dinghy on our lift platform obscures the name on our transom.

-Chris

Name boards that double as screens for navigation lights are useful on boats that dock bow in. Easier to find the right boat.

My Albin had plaques on the sides of the flybridge when I bought it. I removed them and repainted them with the new name.

I put spacers behind the signs to avoid mold, mildew and paint fading.

pete

Back
Top Bottom