Boat shopping with $50,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've done solo offshore passages before. on my last boat I had two people with me who were supposed to help me come down the coast. 12 hours into rough seas they were both down below laying in bed and refused to get out of bed for about 2 days. And that's how I learned I could single hand with no problem. The trick I learned was to set a timer for 10 minutes. every 10 minutes you pop-up look the entire way around you check the radar and check your gear and keep on going. It actually works a lot better than you think. I may keep the Atlantic crossing off of my boat list for this boat unless I find a really rough looking diesel duck somewhere.

OP: Just get another sailboat if you wanna tackle 12 foot seas. $50k will not get you a battle wagon.

What size boat are you looking at?

Realistically I want a boat that can go on the great lakes and go up the outside coast of Jersey without any issues in weather that would reach up to small craft advisory status. I don't need a force10 boat anymore. sailboats off my list I got sick of dealing with Bridges all the time with my last sailboat. That and needing new rigging and sales is so much more expensive than an engine. I also found myself motoring a good 60% of the time. Otherwise I would just go buy a tayana 37 and call it a day.

Unfortunately you will not find any boat that will be capable of crossing oceans for $50K.

And to add to that you probably need another $10K just to prep the boat for an ocean crossing in addition to normal maintenance etc. You need multiple spares, good navigational electronics, EPIRBS, quality radios, offshore life raft, etc etc. Costs add up pretty quickly!

I've seen diesel ducks in that price range before. If they get neglected their price seems to drop very quickly. I wish I could still find that one that was for sale in New York with an asking price of 65000 just about a year ago.

I don't buy wood boats, and will never again buy teak decks

I am the surveyor. I am also a diesel mechanic, and minor electrician. The only thing I can't do is finish carpentry. 50 k is the buy price, and it will be 8 months until the first Bahamas trip. I would strongly prefer a boat with a blown motor or high hours. The one I saw for 50k had high engine hours, and I would be ripping it out to rebuild it. Sadly that one is sale pending now.

Thanks. That little pilothouse on the top of the list is actually really nice. I wonder if I could get a trailer made for one that size?

That Fales Navigator is just up the road in Brunswick, GA. Looks big for a trailer, 11ft beam.

Also another Fales right there in St. Augustine. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/fales-seeker-pilothouse--3584141/

If you are going to do some maintenance and fix ups the Nauticat 33 is Louisiana for under 20K might be great. It would probably have better resale down the road than the Fales Navigator.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/nauticat-33-3663394/

Last edited:
Thanks. That little pilothouse on the top of the list is actually really nice. I wonder if I could get a trailer made for one that size?
There is actually an interesting story behind Fales. I'm the mid 1970s, Willard was building a ton of 30-footers in a few different styles. Willard tried to branch out to the east coast and considered some sort of partnership with the Pearson yard (Rhode Island? I may have the details wrong). Willard shipped the molds east and somehow got snookered on the deal. As the story goes, the guy who was supposed to market the Willard 30 lineup stretched the mold 2-feet and marketed them as Fales lineup of boats. Didn't last long.

The Fales Navigator closely resembles the Willard 30 Horizon motorsailor.

Peter

Agree with Makobuilders. If you are planning on crossing an ocean on 50K, stick with sail. As you already know, they handle heavy weather better. As a former sailor and now power, I used to enjoy sailing through big waves, now it can be rather scary.

Agree with Makobuilders. If you are planning on crossing an ocean on 50K, stick with sail. As you already know, they handle heavy weather better. As a former sailor and now power, I used to enjoy sailing through big waves, now it can be rather scary.

I'll never forget those massive breaking v of water coming off the front of my sailboat. I'm sure I'm going to miss having a force 10 capable sailboat, that can sail into any storm anywhere anytime and take way more than the crew can.

I'll never forget those massive breaking v of water coming off the front of my sailboat. I'm sure I'm going to miss having a force 10 capable sailboat, that can sail into any storm anywhere anytime and take way more than the crew can.

It's a lot more dry being in an enclosed cabin with waves breaking over the bow and water traveling over the roof, but more fun in a sailboat. You just need to time the wave and turn your head at the right time so you don't get a face full of water. My sailboats were not ocean-crossers but I never had fear of the conditions. Of course I was more young and stupid then. But still, today I am leery of going out if the conditions are predicted to be rough and though me and the boat can likely tolerate it, it's a little more nerve wracking to deal with.

Boat shopping with 50k

A Grand Banks will snap your head right off your shoulders in any attempt to cross an ocean, that is if the waves don't climb aboard and wreck the superstructure coming right through the big windows. Wrong boat type for your ocean-crossing ideas. Stay coastal and protected waters.

LOL. I was just getting to post this when I read the above post, and I own a GB 36. They are not Blue Water Cruisers. Get that boat in 12 foot seas and you'll curse your mother for giving you life. If they are Beam Seas you'll be looking at ways to just end it all.

Secondly, if you find a GB for 50k, unless it's that one boat on earth that's a good deal, you are going to put another 50k into it (conservatively).

I don't like to rain on people's dreams or parades but honestly, your budget of 50k for a 44'Trawler that is even remotely sea worthy and dependable is just not realistic. There are boats for you out there in that price range but they are much much smaller. You need to be looking in the 25-30 ft range if you want a diesel trawler.

Realistically I want a boat that can go on the great lakes and go up the outside coast of Jersey without any issues in weather that would reach up to small craft advisory status. I don't need a force10 boat anymore. sailboats off my list I got sick of dealing with Bridges all the time with my last sailboat. That and needing new rigging and sales is so much more expensive than an engine. I also found myself motoring a good 60% of the time. Otherwise I would just go buy a tayana 37 and call it a day.

There are not many bridges if you are crossing the Atlantic. Also, the price of a new diesel can buy a lifetime of new sails. I also made the jump from sail to power. After a couple seasons, there are certainly pluses and minuses. It's nice to be able to get somewhere in 2 hours instead of 6 or 8.
However, 6 hours of sailing on a good day are more fun than 2 hours of motoring. You don't often take your power boat out and travel in circles for half a day for the joy of being on the water. With sailing you can often just "go for a sail" for the day with no destination in mind. Power boating is the best way to get to a destination efficiently. When sailing, the journey is often the destination. I don't regret making the switch and I did it for several reasons, but I still do miss sailing and look at some sailboats with longing at times. But not at times when there is no wind or they are motoring upwind at 1/3 my speed. Just like everything else in boating, it's all about trade-offs and compromises of some sort.

I don't like to rain on people's dreams or parades but honestly, your budget of 50k for a 44'Trawler that is even remotely sea worthy and dependable is just not realistic. There are boats for you out there in that price range but they are much much smaller. You need to be looking in the 25-30 ft range if you want a diesel trawler.

50k can definitely buy a decent boat in the 40 foot range. But it's probably going to be a motoryacht type, rather than a traditional trawler, likely from the 70s or 80s and there's a decent chance it'll be gas powered unless you find a decent deal on something like a Bayliner 3888 (those were all diesels I think).

trawler shopping

50k can definitely buy a decent boat in the 40 foot range. But it's probably going to be a motoryacht type, rather than a traditional trawler, likely from the 70s or 80s and there's a decent chance it'll be gas powered unless you find a decent deal on something like a Bayliner 3888 (those were all diesels I think).

Anyone buying a 1970's motoryacht with gas engines has my profound sympathy. The question was whether they could buy a seaworthy Ocean going Trawler to single hand across the Atlantic with young child on a $50k budget. The answer is "no".

Unfortunately you will not find any boat that will be capable of crossing oceans for $50K.

This may be true sitting at a computer looking at yachtworld. But if you go out and look, and are willing to make low ball offers, you CAN get a 100K + boat for 50K or less. You just have to be patient and persistent. There are ocean capable boats out there that people want to get rid of.

You have get down and dirty and crawl around in the bilges, and know a bit about engines and gear. I spent about 3 months looking at boats till I found one.

M

I'd suggest that even $100K for a trawler capable of crossing an ocean single-handed with a child on-board is way too low of a budget.

50k trawler

This may be true sitting at a computer looking at yachtworld. But if you go out and look, and are willing to make low ball offers, you CAN get a 100K + boat for 50K or less. You just have to be patient and persistent. There are ocean capable boats out there that people want to get rid of.

You have get down and dirty and crawl around in the bilges, and know a bit about engines and gear. I spent about 3 months looking at boats till I found one.

M

Yes, you are right. Estate liquidations, divorces ,bankruptcies, Govt auctions of seized boats, people who are just fed up or got scared after a bad experience, etc all can yield quality boats at bargain prices. And if you are willing to spend 3,6 12 or more months looking for one of these and invest the cost of numerous surveys and the cost of transporting the boat (since quite likely it won't be anywhere close to the buyer's location) then good deals can be found. If your'e patient you can locate a good deal. But again, that wasn't the OP question. The question was "Can I get a seaworthy, Ocean going Trawler on a $50k budget? While that one boat does exist somewhere on planet Earth, the general answer is "no".

50k trawler

I'd suggest that even $100K for a trawler capable of crossing an ocean single-handed with a child on-board is way too low of a budget.

I would agree.

captmikem has a good point. You can always get a better deal if you don't care how long you look before buying. But buying on a reasonable timeline, you can't count on those deals.

Out of curiosity, why the sympathy for anyone buying an older boat with gas engines? They may need some love, but that's often fairly cheap for most of the older engines. And as someone with an older, gas powered boat, the primary downside in my mind is fuel consumption. There are, of course, the safety concerns that go with carrying 400+ gallons of gas on board, but that can be managed easily enough. Obviously no gas powered boat will be an ocean crosser (due to fuel range if nothing else), but some can make perfectly capable coastal cruisers.

. Obviously no gas powered boat will be an ocean crosser (due to fuel range if nothing else), but some can make perfectly capable coastal cruisers.

I couldn't resist sharing what I learned in reading the first few pages of Beebe's book. To my amazement, the first power yacht to circumnavigate was "Speejacks" in 1921-1922. 98' long. Twin 250hp GAS engines !! 34,000 nautical miles and 73,000 gallons of gasoline, in total.

Last edited:
50k Trawler

captmikem has a good point. You can always get a better deal if you don't care how long you look before buying. But buying on a reasonable timeline, you can't count on those deals.

Out of curiosity, why the sympathy for anyone buying an older boat with gas engines? They may need some love, but that's often fairly cheap for most of the older engines. And as someone with an older, gas powered boat, the primary downside in my mind is fuel consumption. There are, of course, the safety concerns that go with carrying 400+ gallons of gas on board, but that can be managed easily enough. Obviously no gas powered boat will be an ocean crosser (due to fuel range if nothing else), but some can make perfectly capable coastal cruisers.

Not dissing your boat. In fact I have great admiration for your boat. But you mentioned some of my reasons. I had friends that owned a beautifully restored 42' (I think) Constellation. Twin 454's. Just a couple of hours out on the Bay was a $300 day (at that time). Cruising wasn't an option. Maintenance and reliability were nightmares, and 400 or more gallons of gas on a boat is it's own issue, which you noted. Honestly, I'd love to have an older restored Chris Craft, even with gas engines if I had unlimited funds. But based upon the OP's original question, that type of boat wouldn't fit their needs. And for the average boater it doesn't either.

I've got twin 454s as well. Long distance running up on plane would certainly get expensive at about 0.5 - 0.6 nmpg. However, slow down to 6.5 - 7 kts and the fuel burn is only bad, rather than horrendous. I manage around 1.2 nmpg at that speed, maybe a little better. Shutting one engine down at low speed would help further, but that's its own issue.

I can't say reliability is an issue though. A good electronic ignition setup and either fuel injection or starting out with a good carb that's been gone through and is set up well goes a long way to achieving near diesel levels of "it just works".

That said, there's definitely a reality check in this thread. $50k can buy a good bit of boat, but for what OP is desiring to do with the boat, there won't be a lot of choices in that range. The loop and Bahamas is easy enough (and I'd be comfortable doing it my boat), but going out further into the Carribean towards the BVIs would be somewhere between annoying and impossible without more fuel range and honestly, it's further out than I'd be comfortable going in most coastal cruisers.

50k for a trawler

I've got twin 454s as well. Long distance running up on plane would certainly get expensive at about 0.5 - 0.6 nmpg. However, slow down to 6.5 - 7 kts and the fuel burn is only bad, rather than horrendous. I manage around 1.2 nmpg at that speed, maybe a little better. Shutting one engine down at low speed would help further, but that's its own issue.

I can't say reliability is an issue though. A good electronic ignition setup and either fuel injection or starting out with a good carb that's been gone through and is set up well goes a long way to achieving near diesel levels of "it just works".

That said, there's definitely a reality check in this thread. $50k can buy a good bit of boat, but for what OP is desiring to do with the boat, there won't be a lot of choices in that range. The loop and Bahamas is easy enough (and I'd be comfortable doing it my boat), but going out further into the Carribean towards the BVIs would be somewhere between annoying and impossible without more fuel range and honestly, it's further out than I'd be comfortable going in most coastal cruisers.

Actually, I always thought getting up on plane with my friends in their older CC Connie was pretty fun, but they were paying for the gas.

I agree with your stats. But at that fuel burn and speed, the fuel cost of the loop would be about $4000.

CC classic's are admirable and I always turn my head when I see one. And I agree with you. Coastal Cruiser Trawlers were not meant for rough water.

Actually, I always thought getting up on plane with my friends in their older CC Connie was pretty fun, but they were paying for the gas.

I agree with your stats. But at that fuel burn and speed, the fuel cost of the loop would be about $4000.

CC classic's are admirable and I always turn my head when I see one. And I agree with you. Coastal Cruiser Trawlers were not meant for rough water.

Agreed both on being up on plane in a larger boat as well as the high cost of doing the loop. But at the same time, if there's a big difference in purchase cost, the cheaper boat can still come out ahead for a while. I did the math on a diesel repower in my boat. I figure that assuming 50/50 running fast vs slow, it would take something like 3000 hours to make up the cost in fuel savings. And that assumes equal maintenance cost.

50k Trawler

Agreed both on being up on plane in a larger boat as well as the high cost of doing the loop. But at the same time, if there's a big difference in purchase cost, the cheaper boat can still come out ahead for a while. I did the math on a diesel repower in my boat. I figure that assuming 50/50 running fast vs slow, it would take something like 3000 hours to make up the cost in fuel savings. And that assumes equal maintenance cost.

I agree with you, all things being equal. However the reality of buying an older 40 something foot trawler in that price range will probably require an equal investment in purchase price to make it seaworthy. The OP’s initial question and idea is not realistic, for what they want to do, I’d recommend a smaller boat, diesel rather than gas and a change in plans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom