Boat shopping with $50,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you, all things being equal. However the reality of buying an older 40 something foot trawler in that price range will probably require an equal investment in purchase price to make it seaworthy. The OP’s initial question and idea is not realistic, for what they want to do, I’d recommend a smaller boat, diesel rather than gas and a change in plans.

Agreed. Forget the ocean crossing and things change a lot. I recently bought a fairly new boat (2012) and still put thousands into it. I can't imagine what it would cost to make a 30-40 year old boat reliable enough to be confident in making an extended journey like the loop or even a part of that. If $50K is really your budget, you need to scale back on expectations.

Hello.

So I want to get a boat again. Previously I had a 48 tayana sailboat, but now that sailing around the world is off the list, I am looking at some trawlers.

It's just me and my young child, and we will use it on weekends and a vacation for 5 weeks each summer.

I have seen some grand banks 44 that are in my price range.

What I need in a boat is something that can do a passage. Bahamas, BVI, loop, and a hop over to Britton. From what I have seen you can put about 500 gallons on the grand banks 44, and the owners are claiming 1500 mile range. I am not sure I trust the PO to state range, but it should at least be 1000. Just not sure how good the boat would be offshore in a blow. My sailboat ate up 12' seas like pac man eats pellets. Thanks for any input.
Keep and eye on Craig's List around the coats of NC/SC. I have been seeing many good coastal boats popping up there between $20- and 50,000. Avoid anything with POP Yachts name attached to it. If you want to know why, message me. I'll tell you my story. I'm not going to bad mouth a institution on an open forum for hopefully obvious reasons.

The 36’ Willard with only 290 hours on the diesel and looking to be in great condition looks like a great buy, particularly since you come from a sail background. You are going to find very few used boats in the $50,000 range in good shape and seaworthy. Willard has a good reputation

I went from sail to an Endeavour 44 Cat Trawler. NOT in the &50,000 range. Great boat, it not an ocean crossing vessel. Too much roll in high wave action, it great for coastal cruising. I miss the ability to sail, and you will probably love being able to sail in the right wind conditions
Good luck
Jack Hulse
Endeavour 44 catamaran trawler “Two’s Company”
New Orleans

Second reply
While no sail, the Bristol 38 looks really good, great condition, lot of equipment, twin diesels which really helps in maneuvering (5000 hours, but well serviced)
Newer boat, good brand, priced in your range. While I don’t like the electric stove that is my preference and could be changed. If you can forego the sail, this looks like a great buy. Plus the Willard is in California, shipping to the East coast is probably over $5000. From Fort Pierce, you can head to the keys or the Bahamas
Jack Hulse

I agree with Makobuilders. Sailboats can be motored also and with the smaller inboard engines possibly a diesel, you can go far just motoring. My sailboat with a Perkins plugs along at about 7 knots and burns about .6 gallons an hour. It can also take those 10 to 12 foot waves with no problem. Over 1000 miles on a 90 gallon tank motoring only. I could go from California to Hawaii motoring at say 6.5 knots and using about 250 gallons of fuel. It just doesn't get there very fast. Probably somewhere between 16 and 18 days in fair weather. Hmm, now where can I store an extra 150 gallons of fuel? Oh that's right. It's a sailboat, and with the right winds and currents I won't need much fuel. Being kind of facetious here.

..... It's nice to be able to get somewhere in 2 hours instead of 6 or 8.
However, 6 hours of sailing on a good day are more fun than 2 hours of motoring. You don't often take your power boat out and travel in circles for half a day for the joy of being on the water. With sailing you can often just "go for a sail" for the day with no destination in mind. Power boating is the best way to get to a destination efficiently. When sailing, the journey is often the destination.

Comments like these always cause me to shake my head - maybe I'm just too sensitive, but there's frequently a slight condescending attitude of self-enlightenment from some sailors. I wonder if folks who say this are more than day/weekend sailors with a dream to cruise. It's the old saying "When all you have is a hammer, all the world looks like a nail." I would much prefer if the guidance were "Gee, I really, really like sailing, so if it doesn't involve sailing, I'm not interested." The truth is that cruising - power or sail - requires a broad set of seamanship, mechanical, and planning skills to be self-sufficient that have little to do with sheeting sails.

There is a reason so many sailors turn to power, and so few powerboaters go to sail. For us, it was because we like the journey and found a sailboat was not fit-for-purpose much of the time. Too much wind. Too little wind, Too wet, too hot, too cold, too many bugs, etc. It's not that we chose a powerboat to get somewhere, we chose one to get-gone for however much time we could afford (measured in days/weeks with jobs). Didn't really care where, just go. For us, a boat is a magic carpet that takes us to imaginary places that take on a glossy perspective from the water - sail or power. Everywhere we wanted to use a boat was more difficult and less comfortable in a sailboat: The California Delta (SF to Sacramento through sloughs and farmland with small towns) is sort of similar to cruising the ACW. It's mostly channel, has patches of skinny water, and gets dang hot in the summer - not exactly premier sail/cruising. Outside the Golden Gate? Going more than Drakes Bay (30 nms north) or Pillar Point/Half Moon Bay (25 nms south) means overnight runs in 50-degree weather, not exactly a charming experience in an open cockpit.

Contrast that to our trawler which is no speedster. Last year, we ran from SF non-stop to Ensenada MX, over 500 nms in 74 hours and burned around 80 gals of diesel. More than that, it was a great journey as we enjoy multi-day non-stop passages. While our Willard was purpose-built for runs like these, there are many trawler-style boats in the $50k range that would due (though I would definitely advocate for stabilization). 15-years ago I did a similar trip with a friend who was died-in-the-wool sailor. He sold his Brewere 46 Pilothouse Sloop 3-years later and now owns a trawler.

When I first read the OP's post, the ocean crossing seemed like an asterisk, mostly he wanted to cruise the islands. Cross-off the "Briton" comment, and there are a lot of $50k boats that fill that bill - The Loop, Bahamas, Caribbean (east and west), Bocas del Toro, San Blas Islands, and of course through the Panama Canal and north if so desired. Would suggest an IridiumGO/PredictWind subscription and some weather education including planning around favorable seasons.

Bottom line: for us, we enjoy serious coastal-passagemaking. For us, a trawler-style boat is 1000% more fit-for-purpose than a sailboat. I'll go one step further - we like displacement speeds and feel very safe and comfortable aboard a true displacement trawler that is stabilized. As others have mentioned, there is a sistership for sale for $80k, albeit non-stabilized. The only benefit to a sailboat is it has sails so if that's how you define cruising, then that's all that is suitable. I gather by the number of sail-to-power converts that many define cruising more broadly as a lifestyle detached from purely sail. That said if I could squeeze a Laser dinghy-sailboat on Weebles, I would be in bliss - sail around anchorages and such. But sailboats for coastal passagemaking? Workable, but not optimal unless you're a died-in-wool sailor or on such an extreme budget that you have no other options.

Peter

Last edited:
Hello.

So I want to get a boat again. Previously I had a 48 tayana sailboat, but now that sailing around the world is off the list, I am looking at some trawlers.

It's just me and my young child, and we will use it on weekends and a vacation for 5 weeks each summer.

I have seen some grand banks 44 that are in my price range.
My sailboat ate up 12' seas like pac man eats pellets. Thanks for any input.

Ocean crossing in a GB - what are you smokin dude? $50k isn't going to get you much of a vessel that doesn't require an equal amount of money for repairs and annual maintenance.

Personally, I'd have kept the Tayana.

Ocean crossing in a GB - what are you smokin dude? $50k isn't going to get you much of a vessel that doesn't require an equal amount of money for repairs and annual maintenance.

Personally, I'd have kept the Tayana.
Re-read the statement you quoted. He said,

Scoobertdoo said:
but now that sailing around the world is off the list

That's not a statement meaning he would take a GB across the ocean. With my current state of mind and situation, I would though.

Re-read the statement you quoted. He said,

That's not a statement meaning he would take a GB across the ocean. With my current state of mind and situation, I would though.

In my current state of mind I might get in a kayak and start paddling and not stop for 30 days or so and likely could cover some serious water in 30 days or so paddling like an angry madman.... ;)

In my current state of mind I might get in a kayak and start paddling and not stop for 30 days or so and likely could cover some serious water in 30 days or so paddling like an angry madman.... ;)

Floating unicorn??

I’m agreeing with everyone else here, I’ve picked up probably about the cheapest blue water capable “trawler“ I’ve ever Heard of for 12k. Now that 12k got me a 42foot twin engine, 1/4 inch thick aluminum hull with paravane stabilizers And 1200 gallons of fuel capacity, so I have the range to go anywhere But that’s about all that is salvageable from it, my rough estimates I will easily have another 60k in the boat with me doing the vast majority of the work myself (prob1.5-2 years) by the time she is done. If you want something turn key that can cross oceans look at spending closer to 100k and that will end up being quite an old boat.

who you callin' OLD??!!

;)

Peter,

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, and I will admit that most of my boating has been in boats of 30' or less, but there is something exhilarating about having a full sail(s) of wind and traveling at or near hull speed on wind power alone with your hand on the tiller or wheel! You real do feel one with the universe :dance:

Of course, it may not be so enjoyable in the cold or the rain. :ermm: And, then there is often that pesky issue of the wind doesn't always blow in the direction you may want to travel. :whistling:

Oh, but on those days that things line up :thumb:

Jim

Of course, it may not be so enjoyable in the cold or the rain. :ermm: And, then there is often that pesky issue of the wind doesn't always blow in the direction you may want to travel. :whistling:

Oh, but on those days that things line up :thumb:

Jim

I totally understand your point Jim. One of my most memorable days on a boat was sailing from West End Bahamas to Ft Pierce FL on a friend's Irwin 52. Wind was perfect, weather was warm, and there was a light rain that felt wonderful beneath the large Bimini over the center cockpit. It was a magical day, the highlight of an otherwise so-so trip that involved the usual issues of a deep-draft sailboat in the Bahamas, excitement over a draw-bridge that only opened halfway on the New River (we left out of FLL), and included many long circle routes to avoid skinny water. And, because we were worried about wind-against-Gulf-Stream, we departed in calm weather so we motored about 60% of the time, which I think is pretty normal for many cruising sailboats unless they are crossing an ocean. I've had other great sails - myself and some friends rented a Hunter 40-ish aft cockpit and sailed to Catalina under superb conditions and had a great long weekend there without mishap and not too much motoring.

So while I agree there is magic to sailing, the romance loses ground for me when I think of cruising. The use-case for a sailboat is pretty narrow for my mind: unless you have a couple spare comma's to your net worth, if you want to circumnavigate, sail is the only practical way for people of average means. The people who have cruised in sail and switched to power pretty well say the costs between the two are a wash - over the long haul, sail/rigging is roughly the same as fuel, though if you're on a tight budget, a sailboat has more cost-saving opportunities than power.

Here's a very well written (and long) blog post of a family who cruised extensively on a sail-catamaran, then switched to a GB42 to better fit their family of four. They've been all over the Caribbean and Bahamas. It's a good read, and probably really helpful for the OP as he asked about a GB42 specifically.

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/trawler-vs-sail/

Peter

This GB is on our local Craig's List.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/d/lynn-grand-banks/7184388906.html

So you can definitely get a trawler for $50K. This is possibly a good example.
Will it let you cross oceans? NO! But is it good enough for coastal and crossing to Bahamas? Probably YES. Just needs an owner who knows enough to continue taking care of her and able to manage their own repairs when things go wrong. It is not the $50K limit that is the problem with the OP's question, it is the intended use for crossing oceans.

No sea trials?!

I had the same reaction when I saw that.

Years ago I wanted to buy a VW Westfalia Van. Even 20-years ago they called a premium on the used car market. I was in San Francisco and drove down to San Jose to look at one. Seemed like a decent guy but when I asked to take it to a nearby mechanic to have it checked-out, he said "Sure, after you buy it you can do whatever you want." At first I thought I mis-understood. Nope. He didn't want it touched until he had been paid.

I never did find a VW. Truth is, I was sort of soured on the whole used-car purchase thing after that.

Peter

I totally understand your point Jim. One of my most memorable days on a boat was sailing from West End Bahamas to Ft Pierce FL on a friend's Irwin 52. Wind was perfect, weather was warm, and there was a light rain that felt wonderful beneath the large Bimini over the center cockpit. It was a magical day, the highlight of an otherwise so-so trip that involved the usual issues of a deep-draft sailboat in the Bahamas, excitement over a draw-bridge that only opened halfway on the New River (we left out of FLL), and included many long circle routes to avoid skinny water. And, because we were worried about wind-against-Gulf-Stream, we departed in calm weather so we motored about 60% of the time, which I think is pretty normal for many cruising sailboats unless they are crossing an ocean. I've had other great sails - myself and some friends rented a Hunter 40-ish aft cockpit and sailed to Catalina under superb conditions and had a great long weekend there without mishap and not too much motoring.

So while I agree there is magic to sailing, the romance loses ground for me when I think of cruising. The use-case for a sailboat is pretty narrow for my mind: unless you have a couple spare comma's to your net worth, if you want to circumnavigate, sail is the only practical way for people of average means. The people who have cruised in sail and switched to power pretty well say the costs between the two are a wash - over the long haul, sail/rigging is roughly the same as fuel, though if you're on a tight budget, a sailboat has more cost-saving opportunities than power.

Here's a very well written (and long) blog post of a family who cruised extensively on a sail-catamaran, then switched to a GB42 to better fit their family of four. They've been all over the Caribbean and Bahamas. It's a good read, and probably really helpful for the OP as he asked about a GB42 specifically.

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/trawler-vs-sail/

Peter

Hi MV,

I think you misunderstood my previous and similar quote about sailing. You are 100% right that for long distance coastal cruising, power makes much more sense, is more efficient and more comfortable than sailing. I wasn't trying to make a case for sail vs. power. My point was that the experience of sailing on a perfect day is more enjoyable in my opinion than motoring on a perfect day. I could have a great day on the water sailing back and forth and going nowhere. It has nothing to do with what makes more sense for cruising. I was only trying to say that the on-water experience is more fun. There is something special about turning off the motor and using only the forces of the wind to power you quietly across the water.

Years ago I wanted to buy a VW Westfalia Van... but when I asked to take it to a nearby mechanic to have it checked-out, he said "Sure, after you buy it you can do whatever you want." At first I thought I mis-understood. Nope. He didn't want it touched until he had been paid.

I had a similar experience with someone selling a trawler on this forum. Negotiated a reasonable price. When I mentioned having it surveyed and bringing a mechanic to check the engines, he said "No way. You buy it as-is, or add $15k to the price if you want to have it inspected."

At that point I assumed it probably had $20k in hidden issues, especially considering the many questionable responses I received earlier when I was poking around.

What's that saying you guys always use... "Run, don't walk away!"

GB for 50k

This GB is on our local Craig's List.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/d/lynn-grand-banks/7184388906.html

So you can definitely get a trawler for $50K. This is possibly a good example.
Will it let you cross oceans? NO! But is it good enough for coastal and crossing to Bahamas? Probably YES. Just needs an owner who knows enough to continue taking care of her and able to manage their own repairs when things go wrong. It is not the $50K limit that is the problem with the OP's question, it is the intended use for crossing oceans.

Add says “No Sea Trial”. I could write a novel about all the dangers with that boat. I’ll bet it needs $35k just to get underway, never mind cruising. Nothing shows you what you get or makes the argument to stay away from sub $50k trawlers better than this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting line in the description:

The description of the number of upgrades and amount of work that has gone into this craft cannot be complete.

:ermm:

So I bought my boat for real cheap as a “non running boat” since the owner couldn’t fire up the engines when I was there I told him that I wasn’t paying a premium for a boat that I couldn’t see run and move. He was asking 40 and we got it down to 12. I turned the engine over by hand and verified compression and that it was free prior to agreeing on a price so I knew I could make it run even if I needed to rebuild the heads, lol didn’t tell him that btw. He swore up and sown all it needed was battery’s and I said then why aren’t they in and you fire it up for me, lol he had nothing to say after that. After I bought the boat, I spent about 4 days and 3g replacing every hose, filter, fluid, impeller, pulled apart the heat exchangers for inspection, replaced every internal zinc, pulled the valve covers and turned the engine over by hand watching the rockers and all the valves open and close properly so I knew they weren’t rusted shut. Did all that prior to starting to verify that I wasn’t going to immediately hammer my new to me engines. Without being a mechanic and welder, and knowing electrical systems(which need to be completely replaced aboard my boat I would have never considered taking on my project. My rough estimate to have a mechanic come aboard and do what I did to the engines prob would have cost an additional 6-8 grand in addition to the parts

Btw the boat didn’t run for 5 years prior to me messing with it. my sea trial after that consisted of a 10 min drive in circles prior to moving the boat 600+ miles from Rockport TX to mobile al.

Keep in mind I left wit a LOT of spare parts from the previous previous owner as well as lots of experience repairing stuff. and the only thing I needed to buy after I left was a starter. But through the trip a lot of **** broke, I replaced an impeller, water pump, alternator bracket, alternator, starter, And running lights. First week of the trip it was pretty brutal. The last 2 days not a thing broke but the trip was an awesome shakedown cruise, it gave me a good idea of all the systems that needed attention for the refit.

I find that any used boat, regardless of age, takes a season or so to get everything right, assuming that's your goal. In your case you got that out of the way in days instead of months, good for you!

For the OP, was your sailing vessel named Union Pacific?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom