Book Recommendations for Coastal Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
Hello Forum Folks,
Been searching Amazon for books on Blue Water Cruising, Outfitting, places to go along the east coast and the islands, ICW, first aid afloat, etc. etc. and figured this would be a great place to find the best of the best. Please let me know what books have served you well and why (if you have the time). Many of the books I've done a quick search on seem dated or sailer-centric or too basic. Thanks in advance!

These books seem to divide themselves into two types: guides with anchorages, marinas, routes to take, onshore activities and those that teach seamanship, boat handling, anchoring, provisioning and systems management.

For the first, on the east coast at least, Garmin/Active Captain- a website is one of the best. It is chart based and has markers to denote every marina and most anchorages. The Waterway Guide is also good.

For the second type start with Chapmans, the bible of small boat seamanship. Then maybe first person accounts such as Tom Neale's All in the Same Boat and other tomes. For systems management and maintenance the Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Handbook by Nigel Calder is the bible. Then for blue water, the bible is Voyaging Under Power by Robert Bebe.

If you read all of the above and study the Garmin/Active Captain website, you will be far along on your cruising studies.

And don't worry about these being sailor centric, although I think cruising largely started with sailors and then trawlering came into play later on. 95% of what you learn is applicable to both types of cruising.

David

Last edited:
Peggie Hall’s book on getting rid of odors on boats. Great info. Available on Amazon ebook or hardcover.

David M - Thanks so much for your insight. I will add to those books I already have which I am happy to report I am on the right track. One question on Chapmans....I see this book on many boaters shelves and wonder how many have actually read it, or more importantly studied it? For those that dive in do you think they read it cover to cover, or use it as a reference? OR is it purchased to look salty when in reality the binder has rarely been cracked? Personally I have been intimidated by its sheer size and perhaps the wrong assumption that it will be filled with arcane terms and information that will confound those that haven't read it.

....One question on Chapmans....I see this book on many boaters shelves and wonder how many have actually read it, or more importantly studied it? For those that dive in do you think they read it cover to cover, or use it as a reference? OR is it purchased to look salty when in reality the binder has rarely been cracked?....

I use Chapmans as a reference primarily. Things like spring lines, knots, general boat operation. But reading it cover to cover will also educate you on many boating topics that you never thought of. And yes, when anyone sees a Chapmans on your boat, they will think of you as salty.:thumb:

Chapman's is really a reference handbook, and not meant to be read cover to cover. If you want to figure out how to tie a bowline, see Chapman's. If you want to rig a mooring ball, chain and pendant, see Chapman's.

Chapmans's won't teach you how to trim your sails, and maybe not how to plot a route and follow it with a chartplotter (my copy predates chartplotters). I haven't picked it up in 20+ years but when I bought my first cruising sailboat 30 years ago, I checked it quite often.

Similarly Calder's book is mostly for reference. You can skim it cover to cover and then refer to it for problem resolution or modifying your electrics.

For the cruising life style I really like Tom Neale's books. A lot of it is anecdotal and quite entertaining to read. Tom had a regular column in one of the cruising magazines years ago that I read religiously. He raised his family while cruising- home schooling and all.

David

Last edited:
Maptech Embassy Cruising Guide: Long Island Sound - 16th Edition

We are on our 3rd or 4th Embassy guide that we've used to cruise out of Mystic Ct for close to 30 years.
The older editions were better, but these are still great for the harbors around LI, CT, Block, Narraganssett Bay, etc.

Plus a few full Long Island Sound charts.

I had a Chapmans that I periodically looked things up. I was in an anchorage a few years ago and was anchored next to an old friend who recently had to move aboard a small sail boat due to some financial issues. He was new to boating so I gave him my Chapmans, with the promise that he would return it to me. He was also an ex paddling buddy, so I figured he was good for it. Texted him a year later to ask for it - "oh yea, its in storage, I will get it for you". Never saw it again. Just like lending out tools.

Presently reading Chapman's, cover to cover! Great read BUT mine is a 1958 edition, much thinner and IMHO better written. To be honest, I skipped a large part of the "rules of the road" as they are so outdated I didn't want my memory overlaying outdated rules over correct and curent rules. Interesting reading too about needing 1.5 inch manila rode for a 45 to 50 foot boat and having to flake it on deck after every use so it's dry before putting in the anchor locker. I like the part too about firing your cannon or other gun each time you enter an anchorage to salute the naval vessel or power squadron boats already there. LOL

HA! Thats what I thought the whole book would be like!

Back
Top Bottom