Canada Shuts Down Border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IIRC we had a means test about 10 years ago. That would fast track immigration.
Going out on a limb, a rich merican may not likely bother voting in Canada. However the tens of thousand of refugees brought into the system will become grateful voters. Is it that simple.

I've often wondered how two countries so closely related in terms of when and from where they were colonized, could be so different in so many ways.

Some fundamentally different choices must have been made early on in Canada, especially in regards to negotiated independence and a preference for slow, steady growth that have had long term societal impacts.

Maybe that'll be a project for idle time in retirement.

That's what I thought too. Come in with good assets and self supporting including full health insurance. But I was wrong.

I too looked into it about 10 years ago as I planned for retirement and found that not just retirees but anyone older than late 30s to early 40s, even that age without good earning potential, not welcome. I was told, unofficially, that the reason is that Canadians and legal residents are well supported and that support is funded by life long tax payments. Didn't pay in? Won't live long enough, earn enough to pay in? Don't move in. An understandable position. But I would not have been a burden and would have spent all of my disposable income in Canada, every bit of it taxed along the way.

I do know some that made it in. But the process was long, in one case decades, convoluted and no guarantee.

Easy .... just claim political asylum, Cheque and a hotel room within hours.
60,000 did it from the US last year.

Does it matter?
Pick any two countries with a common border; one or both may have unstable governance.

Sure it matters, especially in the context of this conversation/thread, as it is not a generalized discussion about random countries.

Throwing stones at our President or your PM is simply bad form.

Sure it matters, especially in the context of this conversation/thread, as it is not a generalized discussion about random countries.

I agree 100%

Our President and your PM gets enough stones thrown at them by the media. They don't need more from citizen critics.

Last edited:
Murray
This is not a political question. Where in the US have you extensively traveled or lived for awhile?

I can understand the former but why not the latter, asking for a friend. :whistling:

Greetings,
I think the ONLY way to gauge the success of how various governments are dealing with this mess will be in hindsight. As I've said several times before, this is NOT the time to be pointing fingers at our respective leaders. We "little folk" have less than no say in the whole mess and the only thing we are able to do is make our OWN decisions and hope.

Murray
This is not a political question. Where in the US have you extensively traveled or lived for awhile?

One trip to live in a tent under a massive boulder while rock climbing in Joshua Tree for a month. We were denied entry into the US on our first attempt; something to do with having to have full time jobs, a house, and $20,000.00 in the bank. This was in about 1985.

Apparently four unemployed seasonal workers in an old VW van was too scary a prospect. We went to the next border crossing and told them we we going hiking in Washington State for the weekend so they let us in.

Got searched coming back into Canada because we had nothing to declare after a month in the US. You can imagine how nasty our climbing/camping gear was.

That’s it. Spent pretty much the rest of my holiday time exploring BC’s coast and mountains. Also, have never been east of Calgary.

Last edited:
Seconded- of which "unstable regime" do you speak?

Well we do have a Prime Minister who dresses up in bollywood costumes on state visits. Wears Aladdin costumes with black face and thinks women he groped "experienced it differently".

I think it's quite clear who he was talking about :)

Well we do have a Prime Minister who dresses up in bollywood costumes on state visits. Wears Aladdin costumes with black face and thinks women he groped "experienced it differently".

I think it's quite clear who he was talking about :)

Don’t forget the socks :D

I looked into moving to Canada to get away from the recent lunacy. Canada does not want retired folks.
Just curious here....how would Canada know you were planning on moving there if you did not disclose it at the border when you crossed?

Just curious here....how would Canada know you were planning on moving there if you did not disclose it at the border when you crossed?
Can US citizens cross the border to live in Canada permanently without specific permission? New Zealand and Australia have such an arrangement, though Australia sends home NZ citizens convicted of crime here.

You should try, lot of nice places to visit and nice people to meet (me excluded).

L

To be honest, I was born in Chicoutimi but moved out here when I was four years old. If I can't remember it, it doesn't count, right?

One of the best advice I got from someone who was working at immigration and citizenship was "don't mess with customs".
One day they will find you and get you out with no hope to be back anytime soon.
I know a family that tried... They failed.

L

To be honest, I was born in Chicoutimi but moved out here when I was four years old. If I can't remember it, it doesn't count, right?
Would it be so bad if it count? Be proud of it, Chicoutimi is a very pleasant little town (at least in summer) and the Saguenay is an amazing place with a lot to see. This is a good reason for you to come back and visit so you will remember it :)

L

Last edited:
Would it be so bad if it count? Be proud of it, Chicoutimi is a very pleasant little town (at least in summer) and the Saguenay is an amazing place with a lot to see. This is a good reason for you to come back and visit so you will remember it :)

L

But there's a couple lifetimes of stuff to see out here!

Retirement is coming up, so a coast, to coast, to coast road trip is a must do :thumb:

L

Two years in Montreal then 5 in Ste. Rose. Fondly remember having four seasons. Been back twice, still nice place. People speak english as soon as you tell them you are from BC. :D

Two years in Montreal then 5 in Ste. Rose. Fondly remember having four seasons. Been back twice, still nice place. People speak english as soon as you tell them you are from BC. :D
You spent 5 years few km south from me!

L

83% of Canadians do not want the border reopened anytime soon.

Victoria Clipper and Blackball Ferries, two long running, tourist reliant services operating between WA and BC, are anxious to get back but are realistically looking at "the New Year." https://www.cheknews.ca/coho-and-cl...ay-be-docked-for-the-rest-of-the-year-670234/

BC’s Premier, Minister of Health, Chief Medical Health Officer and tourism officials are all saying the same thing.

Might as well just accept that and plan nice summer staycation.

Last edited:
83% means 17% want it open. I would have thought that more than 17% of the population depended on tourism.

DART & maru/BLUE border poll.
The research was done among 1,512 randomly selected Canadian adults who are members of maru/BLUE’s online panel on May 13. It is considered accurate to within +/- 3.9 percentage points.

83% means 17% want it open. I would have thought that more than 17% of the population depended on tourism.
:facepalm: Confirmation bias; you miss the point.

Part of the thinking by people, who know more than you and me, is that a second wave is inevitable.

So you suggest we open the border in July and then stuff the genie back in the bottle, come September?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...current-lessons-will-guide-response-1.5577290

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...-experts-say-canada-is-not-prepared-1.4948733

Last edited:
:facepalm: Confirmation bias; you miss the point.

Part of the thinking by people, who know more than you and me, is that a second wave is inevitable.

So you suggest we open the border in July and then stuff the genie back in the bottle, come September?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...current-lessons-will-guide-response-1.5577290

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...-experts-say-canada-is-not-prepared-1.4948733
I expressed a surprise at the numbers, you however have expressed the confirmation bias you accuse me of. Then proceed to quote articles not relevant to the original poll.
Unless you found the poll questions and it included the 2nd wave.

Ah, but you cherry picked "83%" from the original post, skewed it by adding your own meaning to it and ignored the rest.
83% of Canadians do not want the border reopened anytime soon.

Victoria Clipper and Blackball Ferries, two long running, tourist reliant services operating between WA and BC, are anxious to get back but are realistically looking at "the New Year." https://www.cheknews.ca/coho-and-cl...ay-be-docked-for-the-rest-of-the-year-670234/

BC’s Premier, Minister of Health, Chief Medical Health Officer and tourism officials are all saying the same thing.

Might as well just accept that and plan nice summer staycation.

Good lord soin2la. Your original post starts with 83% of Canadians and then you cherry pick an article about blackball ferry, with a link to that article, which I read and then looked further.
17% wanting an opening does not represent our lost local market for tourism & film industry. Not sure why you missed my point and have yet to give a reason for your :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom