Cant wait to fill the log book.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild Rover 78

Vessel Name
Just Passin Thru
Vessel Make
1978 34' Mainship
After enjoying time on my uncle 72' Hatteras 12 years ago, the fire was lit to experience the trawler life of my own. Growing up on the North shore of Long Island owning and operating smaller boats, I found myself scoping out a trawler more and more. I am new to this forum, however the wealth of knowledge from everyone here gave me the confidence to go forward knowing someone new to larger boats wouldn't be alone. Until one day a close friend told me about a small trawler at his yacht club that was up for sale....maybe. I went down to take a look. Disappointed with the amount of neglect, and against my better I made an offer, he accepted, reluctantly. She's a 1978 Mainship Mark I with a Turbocharged Perkins 6.354 diesel. Just what I was looking for, but I didn't know it.
Well story goes, the original owner was getting to old to operate on his own, so he just hung out with friends on her during the summer. He passed away, the son took over but had no interest. 6-7 years goes by with the boat at her slip he was done,and he wanted it out of his life. After a new battery and a rebuilt starter, a case of beer with my buddy and hours of motivational talks to that old blue girl in the hull, she fired up back to life. You've never seen more celebratory high fives, and heard more yahoos. Oil pressures great, pumping plenty of water out the exhaust. We felt like Igor and Dr. Frankenstein. Now the real work is going to start. Replacing trim lots of rewiring, repainting gel coat. You name it, it needs it. Needless to say, you will be seeing me on here a lot in the future, and hopefully out on the sound sooner than later.
I apologize that I dont have any pictures to post, But now that I have broken the ice with you all fine people, they will be soon to follow. This a long intoduction, but the excitement of this new journey is hard to contain.

Excellent, and you just know we are happy as a bunch of clams at high tide to have ya here. You sound like just the hands-on type of guy to help out!

John
Welcome aboard TF
Lots of current & prior Maibship owners here so you are in goid company.
All will be looking for pics... I'm sure. As they say w/o photo evidence it didn't happen.

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new baby. We would love to see photos of it.

Welcome to the club!

Hey, you got the hard part sorted, the engine runs. They don't call it the "holy place" for nothing.

Yeah, rewiring. Most of my stuff was pretty well done. The exception being under the fly bridge helm. It started with the guy hanging a car stereo off a board blocking the entrance to the space. If you closed the door it would shut down. Yeah door hit the on/off volume control... C'mon guys

The guy before that actually knew what he was doing wood wise and knew what looked good. But he was the guy that put the VHF in the path of the steering cables. And the heat sink fins got broken off. So he tensioned the cable off the radio with a pulley and cable attached to an eye screw....

Yeah, on the fly bridge. My latest project - :)

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks for the warm greetings. Finally figured out how to upload pics. If you want to take a look, she on my profile. She's definitely in rough shape, but the weather up here in NY is breaking for the better making work finally possible. Right now she's on the south shore of LI in Queens. (yes Queens is on Long Island!!, even though everyone will disagree that lives there LOL). Once I get underneath to inspect the prop, shaft and rudder, and scrap the bottom ( 5 years of growth), Ill be bringing her up to the North shore of Queens. The first run should prove to be nerve wracking having to be out in the Atlantic for a bit, then east river, followed by the notorious hells gate located between the Bronx and Queens. I have faith in her though. Beside, who doesn't love a good adventure. Isn't that why we're all here???

The weather here has been horrible. We launched and it was 82. Three days later it was snowing. Been down near freezing several nights lately. Can’t wait until it turns nice and we can actually use the boat.

You got this far without becoming discouraged, so the rest should be (almost) fun. Play the tidal currents at Hell Gate and you'll be fine. Just be sure you double-check the directions for ebb and flood. Don't ask me how I know.

It's always good to hear of another Perkins 6.354 turbo brought back to life. Mine have been good to me so far (knock wood!)

Welcome. Glad to see another old boat coming back to life!

Back
Top Bottom