Canvas cost question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

Hello all. hope all is well. im wondering if anyone has an idea of an approximate cost for canvas maker to make a cover to cover an entire flybridge. I have an Albin 36 that will be getting a slow rebuild. I would like to cover the entire bridge to keep it out of the sun and rain. I wont be getting to it in the near future. Other things to work on first. Im in the New Bedford area. Thanks in advance

I would not go with canvas for this temporary cover. It would be quite expensive. Instead I would go with shrink wrap. It isn’t too expensive and should last pretty well.

I would not go with canvas for this temporary cover. It would be quite expensive. Instead I would go with shrink wrap. It isn’t too expensive and should last pretty well.
Thats the issue. I dont want a kinda permanent thing up there. I want to be able to go up there and work on it time to time. And i dont want to the look of shrink wrap. Plus, ill probably be keeping it covered even after all repairs. Im a lower helm kinda guy. Love to keep my ears on the engine and be close to things.

Thats the issue. I dont want a kinda permanent thing up there. I want to be able to go up there and work on it time to time. And i dont want to the look of shrink wrap. Plus, ill probably be keeping it covered even after all repairs. Im a lower helm kinda guy. Love to keep my ears on the engine and be close to things.
An idea for you to reconsider "shrink wrap..." When my boat is covered whilst in the water for wintertime...there is room to get to the fly bridge under the shrink wrap. Have the installer put a 2x4 "mast" in the center of the fly bridge about 8' high with lots of pads at the top. It is stabilized with cords to the edges of the upper helm. Should provide a dry place to easily work or daydream!

Think it over...it will save you a ton of money! IMHO!

Tight Lines!

Alan
M/V SIGMACHI
1977 40ft Pacemaker Flush Deck Flying Bridge M/Y

Attachments

• 5789.jpeg
    5789.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 23
The cost of canvas can vary significantly depending on where you live and how busy the shops are. Living in Palm Beach County FL, I've seen 2X difference between local shops and ones 30 miles away. Also, if you're in a boat yard, the dirt in the air will probably ruin or at least significantly discolor whatever you use unless it's black.

Fisher Canvas (something like that) apparently makes boat covers... and I've read some folks prefer those to shrink wrapping. Might respond to a search...

-Chris

Well, a lot depends on what your definition of a flybridge cover is. When I purchased Weebles (Willard 36), she had a cover that fit around the Venturi/windshield and snapped around the seats thereby covering the console and instruments. Haphazard guess to recreate would be around 8-10 yards of fabric ($35/yd) and a hundred bucks in miscellaneous. Maybe 20-hours of labor plus a bunch of "windshield time" for a professional. You might find someone who will do it for around $2500, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was $4000 either.

After finishing a lengthy refit in a pretty dusty yard, I'd opt to just live with the dirt and wash very well upon departure. One of the advantages I had by doing the work in Mexico is the boat was turned over in absolutely pristine condition - three guys spent an entire day detailing the boat. I doubt you see that in the US unless you pay handsomely......

Peter

I recently had near total destruction of a full flybridge enclosure from bad weather. Two quotes to replace. $16K and $13K. This is for a 45 ft boat so a bigger enclosure than you are needing.

I recently had near total destruction of a full flybridge enclosure from bad weather. Two quotes to replace. $16K and $13K. This is for a 45 ft boat so a bigger enclosure than you are needing.
An enclosure is much more involved than I interpreted the OPs question.

Weebles is on the hard in Chiapas MX and I have an attendent who checks on her a few times a week and washes her inside and out twice a month ($100/mo!!!). He sent a video yesterday - attached is a screenshot of the instrument/helm cover I sewed before leaving. I opted against a full cover that would wrap around the Venturi because I'd never use it again - just such a PITA to install, uninstall, and store. The full "Venturi" cover is what I imagined for the OP, Depending on size, my WAG is in the $2500-$4000 range, but I have to admit, wouldn't surprise me if I was wildly low. $13k for a full enclosure doesn't surprise me one bit. Lot of work. Lot of back and forth by whomever makes it.

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240602_091957_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240602_091957_WhatsApp.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 24
Not sure where you are located since geography matters, but the going rate for a full bimini enclosure with poly/acrylic panels for a boat of that size including SS tubing for support would be in the $15-17K range for top quality in Southern California.

An enclosure is much more involved than I interpreted the OPs question.

Weebles is on the hard in Chiapas MX and I have an attendent who checks on her a few times a week and washes her inside and out twice a month ($100/mo!!!). He sent a video yesterday - attached is a screenshot of the instrument/helm cover I sewed before leaving. I opted against a full cover that would wrap around the Venturi because I'd never use it again - just such a PITA to install, uninstall, and store. The full "Venturi" cover is what I imagined for the OP, Depending on size, my WAG is in the $2500-$4000 range, but I have to admit, wouldn't surprise me if I was wildly low. $13k for a full enclosure doesn't surprise me one bit. Lot of work. Lot of back and forth by whomever makes it.

Peter
And I assumed a full enclosure. We'll have to wait for OP to clarify. I surely would not go for a full enclosure for protection during yard work. Too much $$ to risk getting messed up in the yard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom