Caterpillar 3208 Fuel Injection Pump Symptoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I would share my recent experience with my recently acquired 1989 Cat 3208's. They are lying in a 42 Jefferson Sundeck MY. On the way to Florida, (delivery to her new home in Jax, FL). we noticed a lot of raw diesel in the bulge after an 8 hr. day of running.
Thinking we had a leak, we started looking for the source. Long story short, Caterpillar does this fuel weep ( leak) on purpose if the fuel injection pump needs service. On the return side of the pump, they have built in a weep line that is designed to simply leak fuel into the bilge, ( or on the ground if in a bus or tractor). When the the seals supposedly go bad, the pump sends the fuel though a week line to leak in plain sight so you can address the pump. This fuel would otherwise be sent back to the fuel tank. Needless to say, it was a mess clearing that Diesel out of the bilge but we were able to contain it in the bilge and not send it overboard. If your cat's begin leaking just behind the raw water pump mounting bracket, be advised,,,it's probably the fuel pump. BTW: motor was still running perfectly so no indication it was leaking other than inspection or smell.
Hope this helps somebody identify an issue a little sooner.

Thank you for posting! I have a pair of 3208 NA. Are yours turbo and I wonder if there is a difference between naturals and turbos? I like the idea of a “heads up” for a fuel injection pump. I have the diapers under my entire engines and transmission to help spot the leaks early.

Not sure if you have had time to experiment, but Im wondering if the designed “weep” is coming out the same tube as when you hand prime the engine.

Just looked at the tube coming off the hand pump prime valve/bleeder. There is another tube that joins it and ends at the same location to drain into the bilge. Thanks again. I will now start looking at this location during engine checks and maybe rubberband a piece of diaper to the end of the tube for quick reference.

Attachments

• IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6295.jpeg
    IMG_6295.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom