Davit Spreader Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stiggy

Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 48 Northsea
We are in the process of outfitting our new to us Kadey-Krogen. I'm looking at rigging a sling to lift our AB Dinghy using the crane davit. Our previous boat had an davit with two lifting eyes off the stern. The issue I'm running into is bringing the 4 point sling to one lifting eye. One arm of the sling is getting blocked by the console on the dinghy. I'm "dry fitting" it now with tow straps before I make a proper sling.
This brings me to the question of adding a spreader bar to assist in bringing the four points to the bar and avoiding the console. Do most people just fab these themselves? I was only able to find one online made for boats. If fabbing ourselves what would be some specs on the bar and if anyone knows a shop in the PNW that could get this done?

Thanks for the help

I have a cable 3 hook setup for a dinghy. You're welcome to it for the shpg. I don't think the legs are long enough for a console.
Ifn' it was me, I think I'd mock one up w wood & rope to get the balance point first. Then decide what material makes the most sense. Go for it!

The "e rigging" website has lots of different spreader bars for sale. Most of them are steel, however, which may be a nonstarter for you.

I have the same issue on my boat when using a four-leg sling. I've only used my davit a handful of times, but I've not seen any negative effects on the console with one leg of the sling passing over the top corner of the console. The force that acts perpendicular to the sling is probably lower than you think.

I've been inserting a hand towel between the sling and the console, but that's probably not necessary given that my sling is made from nylon straps.

Talk to Rik Tinsley.
He can do whatever you might need.

Just relocate the strap that has interference. Most the weight is in the back 1/3 of the dingy. Relocate the bow strap to center line.

I would have a reliable professional fabricate a spreader bar for you out of aluminum and then have it powder coated. Instead of wire cable consider using one of the new and stronger synthetic lines for your four leads to the eyes on your tender. Your launch and hauls will be easier and safer. Always be prepared for a failure when launching or hauling a tender. Make sure no one is in harm's way. Boats and tenders can be repaired. People can be killed or seriously injured.

We are in the process of outfitting our new to us Kadey-Krogen. I'm looking at rigging a sling to lift our AB Dinghy using the crane davit. Our previous boat had an davit with two lifting eyes off the stern. The issue I'm running into is bringing the 4 point sling to one lifting eye. One arm of the sling is getting blocked by the console on the dinghy. I'm "dry fitting" it now with tow straps before I make a proper sling.
This brings me to the question of adding a spreader bar to assist in bringing the four points to the bar and avoiding the console. Do most people just fab these themselves? I was only able to find one online made for boats. If fabbing ourselves what would be some specs on the bar and if anyone knows a shop in the PNW that could get this done?

Thanks for the help
We have a Highfield 380 GT and the weight in the aft end makes the front sling lines substantially longer than the back in order to get a level lift. Altogether, they are long enough to clear the console. In addition, they are made out of Dyneema which protects against inadvertent contact. You may just need to make your lines a bit longer.

this new dinghy has a aluminium bottom but the strap points are on a different position, i got 2 x 316 square tube an bolted it to make it work
i added also a eyebolt in the middel to lift the cover so there is no water bucket in it.

Attachments

• 192.jpg
    192.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 36

Thanks for the help
Hey Stiggy,

We have a large AB console dinghy on our 48 Krogen and have the same problem. It was pretty simple to make a lifting bar from 1/2" aluminum plate available at McMaster Carr. I cut out a shape on a bandsaw (could use a jig saw) and sanded the edges smooth. I then used a router with a 3/8" round over bit to soften the edges. Drill press for the hole and powder coating and done. Probably cost about $200 with powder coat and fittings. Also used Dyneema for the legs to connect to the dinghy. Check out the picture. Jim Rincon Feliz in Guatemala

Attachments

• Dinghy_Lifting_Bar.jpg
    Dinghy_Lifting_Bar.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hey Stiggy,

We have a large AB console dinghy on our 48 Krogen and have the same problem. It was pretty simple to make a lifting bar from 1/2" aluminum plate available at McMaster Carr. I cut out a shape on a bandsaw (could use a jig saw) and sanded the edges smooth. I then used a router with a 3/8" round over bit to soften the edges. Drill press for the hole and powder coating and done. Probably cost about $200 with powder coat and fittings. Also used Dyneema for the legs to connect to the dinghy. Check out the picture. Jim Rincon Feliz in Guatemala
Jim,
That looks great and probably exactly what I'll go with, what was the length?

Jim,
That looks great and probably exactly what I'll go with, what was the length?
Hi stiggy, congrats on the new Krogen! The lifting bar is about 3 feet long by about 4 inches high. Jim

I ran into the same issue with my AB 10BS with a Weaver Helm Seat. The starboard, forward leg of the sling was impinging on the console. I got a 4 point strap harness that is adjustable and was able to play with it until I could get it to clear the console. Due to the weight and balance with the helm seat and 20hp motor, the back legs are much shorter than the forward legs. I had to adjust the lifting point high enough to get it to clear.

My intention was to find the lengths that worked and I was happy with then make my own harness out of dyneema. However, I've found that the lifting harness works so well than I haven't bothered.

The other option I had considered is converting the 4 leg harness to a 3 leg harness by bringing the bow legs together to the midline and then a single leg to join the aft legs. The idea is that this would still allow me to use the 4 lift points on the dinghy, but move the forward legs away from the console. I'm not describing it well but maybe I can draw a quick sketch of the before and after.

Attachments

• Harness.jpg
    Harness.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom