Davit Spreader Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stiggy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bailey
Vessel Make
46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
We are in the process of outfitting our new to us Kadey-Krogen. I'm looking at rigging a sling to lift our AB Dinghy using the crane davit. Our previous boat had an davit with two lifting eyes off the stern. The issue I'm running into is bringing the 4 point sling to one lifting eye. One arm of the sling is getting blocked by the console on the dinghy. I'm "dry fitting" it now with tow straps before I make a proper sling.
This brings me to the question of adding a spreader bar to assist in bringing the four points to the bar and avoiding the console. Do most people just fab these themselves? I was only able to find one online made for boats. If fabbing ourselves what would be some specs on the bar and if anyone knows a shop in the PNW that could get this done?

Thanks for the help

I have a cable 3 hook setup for a dinghy. You're welcome to it for the shpg. I don't think the legs are long enough for a console.
Ifn' it was me, I think I'd mock one up w wood & rope to get the balance point first. Then decide what material makes the most sense. Go for it!

The "e rigging" website has lots of different spreader bars for sale. Most of them are steel, however, which may be a nonstarter for you.

I have the same issue on my boat when using a four-leg sling. I've only used my davit a handful of times, but I've not seen any negative effects on the console with one leg of the sling passing over the top corner of the console. The force that acts perpendicular to the sling is probably lower than you think.

I've been inserting a hand towel between the sling and the console, but that's probably not necessary given that my sling is made from nylon straps.

Back
Top Bottom