Definition of trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gentlemen, that was the most intriguing and insightful discussion on what is or is not. Useful, well I don’t know?? The important part is 2020 is almost over and hopefully 2021 will allow whatever you have to cruise. Happy New Year’s Eve!!

So....what drew y'all to a forum named "TrawlerForum?" Did you expect it to be an alternative to SeinerForum or something? You came for the expectation of a certain type of motoryacht and lifestyle that includes cruising.

I don't know how many thousand members TF has had over the years, but I'd place a decent wager that none felt duped by not finding commercial fishing boats.

Peter

Hey fish,
Trawlers aren’t trawlers of course.
Fake news perhaps.

But I don’t know anybody here on TF that can’t tell a fish boat from a rec boat.

But Murray it’s about what we’re “doing it” in or on.
Beautiful little sail cruiser and beautiful picture as well.
I love the fully developed displacement wake too.

But but Murray it is a recreational boat.

Yup got sucked in again. Been trying to figure out what my KK Manatee is for 3 years now?? Lol! I call her a trawler cause I’m constantly throwing over a net to fetch something out of the water!!

But Murray it’s about what we’re “doing it” in or on.
Beautiful little sail cruiser and beautiful picture as well.
I love the fully developed displacement wake too.

But but Murray it is a recreational boat.

Yup, just like mine is a recreational boat :thumb:

We actually think of Badger as a marine mobile base camp to further adventures ashore.

Yup, just like mine is a recreational boat :thumb:

We actually think of Badger as a marine mobile base camp to further adventures ashore.
I know on occasion you insert a photo of Badger. I like to reference to a picture at times and when you said recreational I wanted to associate with picture.
Care to add a picture to your profile of Badger, and your dingy wally? read about that the other day.

I know on occasion you insert a photo of Badger. I like to reference to a picture at times and when you said recreational I wanted to associate with picture.
Care to add a picture to your profile of Badger, and your dingy wally? read about that the other day.

Your wish is my command...profile picture changed to one of our boat at anchor in Gardner Canal:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/murraym-3329.html

Only one profile photo allowed, so...

Dinghy is a Whaly https://www.whaly.com

Canadian dealers https://www.whaly.com/en/dealers.html

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned the worst oxymoron yet: fast trawler! When I used the term fast trawler, I originally put it in quotes, but that got tiresome. Now I just try to avoid it when I can, but that's even more tiresome. It does serve its purpose, but it just seems so wrong.

But, let me brag about something corny, more annoying than fast trawler: I think i get credit, or more likely dishonor, in inventing the term "trawleresque.' I don't think I need to define it as it sort of speaks for itself although I might have invented it as a replacement for fast trawler. Worse and worser?

Here's what my 62nd Edition (1994) Chapman's says about trawler boat type. "Trawler Yachts - Within the commercial fishing community, the word trawler has a specific meaning, but in recreational boating the term is used much more loosely. In general, any pleasure craft more than 25 feet in length that does not carry sufficient horsepower to lift itself out of the water and plane at or near the surface is known as a trawler. Since the hull of a trawler rides through (and not over) the water, it is considered as having a displacement hull design. The trawler's hull shape can vary from one with soft bilges to one with hard chines. Practically all trawlers are designed with significant keels. Trawlers now are faster and fitted with twins while single-engine installations were once more common. These boats were popular for traveling at 7 to 8 knots, ideal for waterways where speeds are limited, and well suited for long passages where fuel conservation becomes critical." No mention of crabs!"

Yup - 1994 - That's around the time area when Bill Clinton redefined the word sex! Soooo many words became redefined. Chapman's altered"Trawler" definition being one.

Makes no real difference... a pleasure boat is NOT really a "Trawler" in any stretch of the imagination - except in the minds of promoters and advertisers to pump up sales. And, they did a good job. Millions of boatowners think of their pleasure boat as a "Trawler".

Throughout history word definitions do alter. Trawler seems to be one of those words! :popcorn:

"Cabin Cruisers," instead of "Trawlers"

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned the worst oxymoron yet: fast trawler! When I used the term fast trawler, I originally put it in quotes, but that got tiresome. Now I just try to avoid it when I can, but that's even more tiresome. It does serve its purpose, but it just seems so wrong.

But, let me brag about something corny, more annoying than fast trawler: I think i get credit, or more likely dishonor, in inventing the term "trawleresque.' I don't think I need to define it as it sort of speaks for itself although I might have invented it as a replacement for fast trawler. Worse and worser?

Hi Judy,
Sorry but there’s no such thing as a fast trawler ... they are too heavy to go fast.

ddw 36,
That’s it. Cruisers.
But people have rejected the word Cruiser and substituted the word trawler.
And I’ll bet all the cruisers we’re talk’in bout are cabin cruisers. But postwar cruisers came out as cruisers but some overgrown cruisers adopting some features of fishing trawlers and their weight (to a significant extent) were incorporated into these heavy cruisers. Many of the larger heavy cruisers were much like the old forest service .. service boats.

And for some time they reined as “heavy cruisers” ... because there was no established name for heavy cruisers.
Exactly when the trawler name appeared I don’t know. I was up to my ears in boats then so should know. So taking a whack at it I’d say late 50’s to early 60’s. We had heavy cruisers in the 50’s and had trawlers in the 60’s. The only thing that could be wrong about that IMO is trawlers in the early 60’s.

But soon to eventually most all forgot about “heavy cruisers” and called all heavy cruisers .... trawlers. Maybe it sounds more manly. Obviously a lot of products are sold, marketed and generally oriented in that direction. But all boats are female.

Last edited:

It was mentioned in the last discussion had like this.

There's a guy on here who has one, I think his brain exploded (-;

From Soundings Magazine....

There are many ways to define “fast trawler,” and there are many builders that have taken to using the label. For our purposes, let’s define a fast trawler as a semidisplacement vessel with true trawler origins, capable of climbing over its bow wave and making 16 to 20 knots. Compared to full-displacement boats, they draw less and weigh less but require more power to climb on plane. And engines, priced by horsepower, are the most expensive items on the boat’s bill of materials.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boats/fast-trawlers

Krogen Express would fit the description:

Last edited:
Ghost ... M

Murray ... what description?
Cruiser I suppose since it is.

Ghost ... M

Murray ... what description?
Cruiser I suppose since it is.

I was thinking the Krogen Express fit the Sounding Magazines description of a 'fast trawler' pretty well:

From Soundings Magazine....

There are many ways to define “fast trawler,” and there are many builders that have taken to using the label. For our purposes, let’s define a fast trawler as a semidisplacement vessel with true trawler origins, capable of climbing over its bow wave and making 16 to 20 knots. Compared to full-displacement boats, they draw less and weigh less but require more power to climb on plane. And engines, priced by horsepower, are the most expensive items on the boat’s bill of materials.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boats/fast-trawlers

I agree the KK Express looks to be half trawler half cruiser.

But is the KK Express a planing hull like a lobster boat?

Last edited:
Find it interesting you guys call them lobster boats. In my local harbor they are the most common commercial boat with true trawlers second. Mostly hear them referred to as Novi hulls as a lot of folks tend to their traps on other designs.

In my mind, a "fast trawler" is a trawler that was made to be able to at least mostly plane, but isn't really meant to run at that speed all the time. Think like what you'd get with huge engines in a Grand Banks. You'll get it on plane-ish, but you're not going to want to do 16+ kts everywhere in it.

On the other hand, once you get to something that's meant to comfortably run on plane as long as there's fuel in the tanks, that's absolutely not a trawler. By that logic, I have trouble with the Sabreline 36 being called a fast trawler. Sure, it looks like a typical trawler, but out of the water, the hull design looks faster than mine. And it's powered to cruise at 16+ kts on a continuous basis, just like my not-a-trawler. So to me, it's just trawler shaped, but not actually a trawler.

Back
Top Bottom