Difference in DeFever 49 boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
" OTTER "
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Looking at different options for a east coast boat and have seen a few 49RPH DeFevers pop up.
There seems to be a difference between them, Different yards, square vs round chine and top of pilothouse flybridge vs behind the pilothouse flybridge.
Always liked the looks of those boats ( although the behind the pilot house flybridge is a bit more sleek IMHO).

Anyone with knowledge care to add thought on other differences between the two boats?
HOLLYWOOD

I have no direct knowledge other than the impression that the earlier ('88) versions
are well regarded. This '88 looks pretty good and the teak decks removed is a plus. I
was on a '85 near me that would have been tempting but had teak and no stabilizers.

It seems overpriced to me. There are a lot of fresher boats in that price range.

Last edited:
There’s a good summary of the different Defever models on the Defever Cruisers website (www.defevercruisers.com).

The first one (flybridge back) is usually referred to as a CTF, the second (flybridge forward) as a Sen Koh, which are the shipyards in Taiwan. More recent Defevers were made by POCTA in China. Personally I like the look of the CTF better.

Other than that, there are a variety of interior configurations. Some have an interior stairway to the fly bridge, some have one or two stairways down to the staterooms, and engines vary.

But they’re all great, solid, heavily built boats. We have a 1991 CTF and love it. They can roll a bit if they don’t have stabilizers.

Our boat is pretty similar to the 1992 you linked, except we don’t have the inside stairway to the flybridge.

Feel free to DM me any specific questions.

Greetings,
Mr. h. Many moons ago when we were in search of our previous boat (some 18 years?) we were quite taken with the Defever 49's. We toured quite a few in our "recon trips". From what I recall, there seemed to be several different layouts as noted by Mr. SD but none seemed to have as much "space/room" as our final choice (1979 Cheoy Lee 46' LRC).
Cramped ER spaces, as well IMO BUT all had that wonderful raised pilothouse.

I can understand your confusion because all variants of a DF 49 out there.
The most recent POCTA version DF 49 is usually a 3 stateroom/2head boat with a 16’ beam.
POCTA also built a DF49 Cockpit which is basically a DF44 with a 5’ cockpit added. This boat has a 15’ beam.
POCTA also built a DF49 Euro which is a DF46 RPH with the 3’ swim platform integrated into the hull with side “wings” tying the swim platform. This is the model that I have owned since 2013. The later models, after HID 46120, of the DF46/49 Euro include enough room in the wheel house for a helm chair and a full width settee. The DF46/49 Euro is a 15’ beam boat with 2 staterooms/1 head boat.
My boat photo is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 15
You'd probably get a more definitive answer if you'd check out the DeFever Cruisers Group at Forum groups.io Group You'd need to join the group in order to ask questions and get answers, but you'll get plenty of good, correct answers.

Back
Top Bottom