Case in point on boat prices today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but if that heart attack occured when you were on a cruise in some less than convenient place, you probably would not have survived. Glad you got "lucky" in that respect, but in reality, living the dream could have been what killed you. Glad that was not the end of the story! Hope u have many more good years left.

A contrair Backinblue...It was the stress of returning to S. Calif. putting my shoes and a 3 piece suit which was the inciting factor, not the stress of long distance cruising. How many miles at sea do you have? How about in depth medical knowledge? Have you stepped outside the box in your life?

☝️From another retired ex-medico...touché..! :D

Owning a boat doesn't make you a cruiser. My definition of cruiser is taking trips of a month or months or more at a time, long cruises, not weekend and vacation. I spend many days a year on a boat at that age, but wasn't a cruiser until the age of 42 and that was very fortuitous.

BandB,

Well, I'd expect that most of us are not cruisers based on that definition. I certainly don't, as the vast majority of my trips by any means are rarely more than two weeks. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy it nor does it mean that some young kid enjoy it too. Point being, there are some rather smart younger folks that have figured out how to enjoy boats, and some fairly nice ones.

However, agreed, most of the folks with trawlers and such are older.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Yep. Us older gents have also learned that trawlers are REAL babe magnets, as well...

iu

Time is all we have.
Go for it.
It will be your big new hobby.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Yep. Us older gents have also learned that trawlers are REAL babe magnets, as well...

iu

That was before males clamed equal rights! I recall grand ma Aggie... and soap in my mouth as well as a stiff switch! The gray haired one of far right could be her twin!!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. A. A quick shot of WD40 sometimes fixes a stiff switch but I'm no electrician...
Seeing the pic of lovelies, maybe Art meant to say 'stiff witch".

Seeing the pic of lovelies, maybe Art meant to say 'stiff witch".

Yup - Agnes was that and more; a bitch-witch to be sure... To Aggie, children were to be seen, to obey and never be heard. Sometimes I was left for up to a few days with her and grandpa Warren. Aggie finally decided she wanted to die. She lay down on the big couch and did so in relatively short order. That became quite the whispered family gossip piece.

Soon thereafter... the sun then came out in grandpa's house! His sister Het/Hettie [Henrietta] moved in. She was a cool, fun old gal. In my early grade school days she, my close aged brother and I had good times playing board games and cards when we stayed for a few days at grandpa Warren's house. :thumb:

After a botched simple surgery, I was in a coma for weeks. A totally freaky experience....like time travel. It was a very close call. After that I said to my wife "I think the universe is trying to tell me something". My wife "You think???"

I was 64 my wife is 60. She retired from her oncology nurse job and I began to unwide 40 years of business deals. We upgraded from our 30' sloop to a 46' motorsailer. I continue to work as we get to know the new boat and work out the bugs. I am now working about half my normal hours. This summer we plan to live on the boat more and maybe cruise the waters off Long Island for a month.

After that maybe the ICW to FL for the winter.

Our three kids are all doing well and are very successful. Our daughter with the dry sense of humor said "Don't worry dad, someday we will put you in a mediocre nursing home" :ermm:

In my full time cruising period of life got to know a fair number of cruisers. Still the N is small and subject to selection bias. The overwhelming majority had the dream early on. Usually before they left their 20s. Like me they were confined by employment, family obligations, and economics. However, the slow progression of progressive larger boats and further horizons occurred. Few boaters are cruisers. Fewer cruise on power than sail. Even among those with extensive resources. Find net worth correlates poorly with cruising.
Once again my N is small but like with motorcycles, cars find those under 45 or so have little interest in boating. Boats and vehicles in general are viewed in a utilitarian fashion.

A contrair Backinblue...It was the stress of returning to S. Calif. putting my shoes and a 3 piece suit which was the inciting factor, not the stress of long distance cruising. How many miles at sea do you have? How about in depth medical knowledge? Have you stepped outside the box in your life?

Jeez, lighten up Frances! You left those details out of your story. Why so defensive and agressive? I thought I heard that boat people are nice? Funny you know nothing about me but feel free to make assumptions and accusations.

Last edited:
As you posted, it comes down to time.

Are you willing to bet against your life clock?

I am leaving to go cruising on my 60th birthday.
Yes people retire earlier, but darn few that I know.

I am not rich, but I'll have enough. It is not worth betting against my life clock. The chance that I'll never go if I wait.

You are in the same situation, tick tick tick Time keeps ticking away.

Perhaps that is some of what is fueling the current boat buying spree. We all probably know of someone that died early in the last two years.

Maybe, just maybe folks are unwilling to make the bet. Maybe they are looking at things and thinking it's their time, or never.
------------------------------
We have been following and learning with the weekly posts for several years.
We wish to apologize for not having made a correct presentation from the beginning.
Our "Verdblau" trawler is a 1985 Blue Ocean 45 similar to a Grand Banks model Europe. (Made by CHB). 2x250 Volvo
My wife and I have been sailing for over 50 years. We have had sailboats up to the current Trawler that we bought in 1998.
We are both 79 years old. 3 years ago we decided to sell the boat and try to rent. It was a total disaster. The rented boat was fast but not adapted to us. It was not our Verdblau.
Instead of selling it, we decided to give it a new life and spend money that we will never get back … She looks new now.
We enjoy every day with the boat. I do small fixes. Dreaming what we are going to do even if we never do it.
We will think on selling,only, when we lose the illusion of enjoying it.
I think the important thing is to be motivated and have enthusiasm and targets to accomplish.

We are close to Barcelona Spain and every summer we sail to Menorca (a Balearic Island) . And the whole family, daughters and grandchildren,we are together in Menorca. The boat is our meeting point to enjoy the family.

Thanks for your patience.

Maria Rosa & Armando

------------------------------
We have been following and learning with the weekly posts for several years.
We wish to apologize for not having made a correct presentation from the beginning.
Our "Verdblau" trawler is a 1985 Blue Ocean 45 similar to a Grand Banks model Europe. (Made by CHB). 2x250 Volvo
My wife and I have been sailing for over 50 years. We have had sailboats up to the current Trawler that we bought in 1998.
We are both 79 years old. 3 years ago we decided to sell the boat and try to rent. It was a total disaster. The rented boat was fast but not adapted to us. It was not our Verdblau.
Instead of selling it, we decided to give it a new life and spend money that we will never get back … She looks new now.
We enjoy every day with the boat. I do small fixes. Dreaming what we are going to do even if we never do it.
We will think on selling,only, when we lose the illusion of enjoying it.
I think the important thing is to be motivated and have enthusiasm and targets to accomplish.

We are close to Barcelona Spain and every summer we sail to Menorca (a Balearic Island) . And the whole family, daughters and grandchildren,we are together in Menorca. The boat is our meeting point to enjoy the family.

Thanks for your patience.

Maria Rosa & Armando

I applaud your decision and hope you get to enjoy your beautiful boat for as long as you want to.

We came back--and I had my first heart attack at age 50. If I had not been in the hospital having tests done, I would have not survived the total occlusion of my left anterior descending coronary artery. It just happened that the only cardiologist doing angioplasties at that time in Long Beach, CA. got to me in about half an hour. Down the line I have cheated the devil a number of times and am still active at age 85 after 2 bypasses, multiple stents and angioplasties.

I admit that I am not a cardiologist, but I would bet money on the fact that returning to work at 49 did not cause a full artery blockage at age 50 nor the subsequent bypasses, stents, and angioplasties required that have luckily given you a long and active life. You can tell yourself that if you like to have a good story to tell, but those things likely are a result of a combination of lifestyle choices and genetics leading up to your first heart attack at 50, not because you decided to return to work shortly before that happened. I applaud your success and recovery but I don't accept the premise, sorry.

Maria Rosa & Armando

Love your story, fantasies and sheer grit! Keep On... Keeping ON!!

I admit that I am not a cardiologist, but I would bet money on the fact that returning to work at 49 did not cause a full artery blockage at age 50 nor the subsequent bypasses, stents, and angioplasties required that have luckily given you a long and active life. You can tell yourself that if you like to have a good story to tell, but those things likely are a result of a combination of lifestyle choices and genetics leading up to your first heart attack at 50, not because you decided to return to work shortly before that happened. I applaud your success and recovery but I don't accept the premise, sorry.

Tough crowd. The point might be that there are always risks to waiting and he is thankful that he went cruising when he did, and feels lucky to still be around. That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Not sure the details of his story need your approval.

Tough crowd. The point might be that there are always risks to waiting and he is thankful that he went cruising when he did, and feels lucky to still be around. That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Not sure the details of his story need your approval.

It's not for me to approve or not, it's his life, I'm happy for him. At the same time, I didn't deserve to be personally attacked just because I said that he was lucky to be in a hospital when he had a heart attack and not anchored off some remote island. Whether or not any of us survive an event like that is usually depndendent on when and where it happens and how soon you can get help.

That was my take too (figured the comment from an MD was a bit tongue-in-cheek), but I confess, I'm a bit jaded. While I've never met Thataway, I've 'known' him in online trawler boating forums for 20-years. Because of his knowledge, experience, and (shall I say) friendly bedside-manner demeaner, I immediately click-through anytime I see him post. A sensible cruiser with a distnct old-school approach.

Peter

Last edited:
Jeez, lighten up Frances! You left those details out of your story. Why so defensive and agressive? I thought I heard that boat people are nice? Funny you know nothing about me but feel free to make assumptions and accusations.

You bash Thataway for making assumptions about you....and then you do the same to him..... your post #136....

You bash Thataway for making assumptions about you....and then you do the same to him..... your post #136....

I wasn't bashing him at all. I was suggesting that he was lucky to be in a hospital and not out boating when he had a heart attack and got immediate help that saved his life. How is that bashing him? His response was essentially "what do you know, you're not a doctor, you're not a real boater, you've never really lived life." If anyone deserves to be accused of bashing I think you should read this thread again from the beginnning. I don't know him and don't really care to. I was just making an observation that when and where anyone gets a heart attack can litterealy determine life and death. This is really not worth debating. It's not personal, I don't know the man at all.

I wasn't bashing him at all. I was suggesting that he was lucky to be in a hospital and not out boating when he had a heart attack and got immediate help that saved his life. How is that bashing him? His response was essentially "what do you know, you're not a doctor, you're not a real boater, you've never really lived life." If anyone deserves to be accused of bashing I think you should read this thread again from the beginnning. I don't know him and don't really care to. I was just making an observation that when and where anyone gets a heart attack can litterealy determine life and death. This is really not worth debating. It's not personal, I don't know the man at all.

You certainly made assumptions about his heart ....Just like you accused him of doing to you

It was an over reaction; I didn’t take it as a personal attack.

Assumptions not needed. It takes chronic long term stress to develop a greater chance of a heart attack according to studies, and even those only suggest a potential “link” not a “cause and effect.”

This thread drift is stressing me out...aaaccckkk! [clutching my chest]

The fact is that many things contribute to heart attacks, strokes, and other critical and fatal illnesses and that includes smoking, drinking, drugs, exercise, diet, genetics, and stress. We never know the degree to which either played a role. However, we do know that less stressful lifestyles tend to lead to both happier and longer lives.

My father's fatal heart attacks came from an afternoon of pulling a starter cord on a leaf mulcher, but likely his habits of 3 packs of strong cigarettes a day and alcoholism put him in a vulnerable position. As to stress, I have no idea.

Whether one has had health problems or not, each person still must decide when and how to escape stressors in their lives and if, or when, to change habits to those more healthy for them.

The real point many of us were making in this thread was that even those of us who might appear the least vulnerable never know what the future holds for us. For that reason, if one has a choice between waiting or not waiting to make changes that help them enjoy their lives more, then the recommendation is to not wait. Waiting for one thing often leads to waiting for something else and then waiting for another thing to resolve.

On the other hand if making a purchase increases your stress by putting you in a bind of some sort, then it's ill advised.

Worked at the Framingham heart study and boarded in stroke medicine. Much of above is distorted from our current understanding of pathogenesis and doesn’t consider the complexities of that subject. Furthermore has lead to a contentious discussion. Hopefully folks here are aware recent studies suggest risk benefit does not justify daily ASA except for a relatively small subset of people.

Some would say “live fast and leave a pretty corpse”. Others “my body is a temple “. In either case being overly judgmental says more about you than that person. Can we move on.

Back
Top Bottom