dismal swamp or coinjock route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwclark

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lazy Grady, Man O War
Vessel Make
1992 and 1994 Grady Whites 24’ Explorers
first time goung north on to pouthsmouth va. which route should i take fom albermarle sound on a 24' power boat say crusing at 25 mph, 2 seniors

Greetings,
Mr. hw. I think the Dismal swamp has speed limitations. The Coinjock route may give you more opportunity to "run". Don't bother stopping at Coinjock for the "prime rib". It may be rib BUT it sure isn't prime in any way shape or form. Save your $$ for cheaper crab bait.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. hw. I think the Dismal swamp has speed limitations. The Coinjock route may give you more opportunity to "run". Don't bother stopping at Coinjock for the "prime rib". It may be rib BUT it sure isn't prime in any way shape or form. Save your $$ for cheaper crab bait.

:thumb: The Dismal Swamp route although beautiful, has a 6 kt speed limitation. So what is your pleasure, speed or……

David

Go Albemarle Chesapeake canal for speed. If the weather isn't conducive, the Dismal Swamp canal can be transited in any weather. It's important to watch for stumps and limbs in both canals.

Ted

The speed limit in the Dismal is because it's timed with the locks/bridges....go any faster and you are just waiting someplace. I guess it could be for erosion control as it is narrow.

The Dismal has handy places to stay and tie up for free. ECity at the southern end and the free docks just south of the Dismal's north lock. Both places have restaurants/food you can walk to and at worst a short side share to a motel/BB.

So does Great Bridge, but the area around the canal didn't impress me for walking around like ECity does.

Greetings,

I agree! Nothing special about the prime rib,the cut of meat is cut from a standing rib but that’s it. The generous slab of beef I had was lacking flavor with enough fat attached to make a cardiologist squirm.
Go the Coinjock route and enjoy.

For the speed you are requesting, the Virginia cut/ Coinjock route is your only option. However the Deep Creek lock is on a restricted schedule.

Back
Top Bottom