Displacement and single engine trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel B

Hi folks. New to the forum. My wife are looking at making the transition from a sailboat to a trawler and are leaning toward a relatively low power/low fuel consumption boat that we would be comfortable and safe cruising to Alaska or Mexico, for example.

We have started the process of looking at different boats in the 36 to 42-foot range and started with a preference of two engines for redundancy purposes and have been surprised that single engine boats seem to predominate. We understand the trade offs between going single versus twin but are curious to hear perspectives from single engine owners, especially those who cruise in fairly remote areas where help may not be nearby.

We are also hoping we can hear from folks on full displacement versus semi displacement hulls. It sounds like there is a greater need for stabilizers in full displacement boats and we are nervous about using either the old style stabilizers or electrical/mechanical systems.

We don’t care in particular about going faster. Six or seven knots is fine for us.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Recently a single vs twin discussion. You might find it informative.

Cliff-Note: Weebles is a 1970 Willard 36 displacement trawler with a single Perkins 75hp 4.236. We left from San Francisco, stopped in Ensenada for a several-year refit, and left last fall with the Baja Ha Ha and then continued down the Pacific to the Guatemala border. Boat is on the hard there waiting for us to return for Season 2 beginning Nov 1st or so.

Peter

Friendly suggestion is start searching the threads. Single vs twin and what type anchor might be 2 of the most covered topics. Nothing new I can add.

FYI I have had both and if doing long distance offshore cruising might prefer a twin but it would not be in the top 3 criteria on my shopping list.

Friendly suggestion is start searching the threads. Single vs twin and what type anchor might be 2 of the most covered topics. Nothing new I can add.

FYI I have had both and if doing long distance offshore cruising might prefer a twin but it would not be in the top 3 criteria on my shopping list.
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

With that kind of cruising plan: Alaska and Mexico which probably meets the semi-blue water definition, check out the ongoing thread of a similar name.

I would be more interested in the soundness of the boat and its stability system than number of engines.

David

Hi folks. New to the forum. My wife are looking at making the transition from a sailboat to a trawler and are leaning toward a relatively low power/low fuel consumption boat that we would be comfortable and safe cruising to Alaska or Mexico, for example.

We have started the process of looking at different boats in the 36 to 42-foot range and started with a preference of two engines for redundancy purposes and have been surprised that single engine boats seem to predominate. We understand the trade offs between going single versus twin but are curious to hear perspectives from single engine owners, especially those who cruise in fairly remote areas where help may not be nearby.

We are also hoping we can hear from folks on full displacement versus semi displacement hulls. It sounds like there is a greater need for stabilizers in full displacement boats and we are nervous about using either the old style stabilizers or electrical/mechanical systems.

We don’t care in particular about going faster. Six or seven knots is fine for us.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
I am a proponent of single engine trawlers with simple mechanical tractor engines, for coastal motor vessels. The advantages of simple engines and engine room gymnastics are not to be ignored. Complexity and a need for speed ups the ante. I am surprised you are having a problem finding a twin. I had to search long and hard for my single GB 36. A twin GB 36 is nearly impossible to navigate the ER, I can barely get around my single. I always wanted a single GB 42, but never found one timely, but I know they're out there. We do about 8 kts, and plan for 7.5 kts. Stabilizers, center bunk and a navigable ER room should be high on your list of things you'd like, for these things are important if you're really going to cruise, even coastwise.

Not all ERs are created equal. Our IG36 had a walkway between the twin Lehmans. Same goes for our Integrity 386,twin Cummins, the ER is frankly spacious. And hull is same as the Integrity 380 which comes with single only. But the Clipper 40, same builder of origin as NP, has twins you work on from either end, you can`t pass between them. Best not generalize, check each boat for ER access with twins.

Not all ERs are created equal. Our IG36 had a walkway between the twin Lehmans. Same goes for our Integrity 386,twin Cummins, the ER is frankly spacious. And hull is same as the Integrity 380 which comes with single only. But the Clipper 40, same builder of origin as NP, has twins you work on from either end, you can`t pass between them. Best not generalize, check each boat for ER access with twins.
Agreed. It depends on the engines and size of the boat, but also depends a lot on where other equipment is mounted. A 35 - 40 foot boat with twins and fuel tanks outboard of the engines is likely to have poor access. But if the fuel tanks are placed somewhere else to leave open space outboard of the engines, access can be just fine.

My own boat is a 38 footer with twins and access is pretty good. There's about 2.5 feet between the engines and about the same outboard (but with a bit less height due to the hull shape). And enough space above them to work on most hardware up top without pulling the floor panels above the engines. The only stuff mounted outboard of the engines are some above waterline thru hulls (plus the hoses to them) and the mufflers for the engines in the aft corners of the engine room. A few things on the back end of the engines are a little tough to reach, but that's mostly the fault of the exhaust systems making that area a little crowded and also restricting where you can position your body while working.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Hi Dan,
we have a single diesel in our 2001 Mainship 390, aptly named "After Sailin'" Originally, my concerns were the same but after having this boat for 10 years i am still very happy with my choice. being aware that its a single, we maintain the engine to a high standard. unless you run out of fuel, engines don't just quit. Accessibility is another advantage of the single. with this being said its less manurable, but we learned to live with that.

Hi Daniel,
We are admittedly at the small end of the size spectrum. Puffin is a 30', full displacement, single engine Willard. I am all for the simple systems concept, no stabilizers or generator. We cruise extensively in the Inside Passage. Our method is to keep an eye on the weather and the current charts and plan accordingly. Best of luck with your search.
Bob
PUFFIN1.jpg

Look at the American Tugs of different lengths.
I could sing the phrases of the ATs but I encourage you to search the web. I think you will be impressed

Back
Top Bottom