Do cruise ships disable smart device navigation software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I suggested to my sister-in-law that she get Navionics before she goes on her cruise to Alaska, but then wondered if the cruise ships disable smart device navigation software because of security concerns. Does anyone know?

Jim

I doubt cruise ships have and can legally use technology to block GPS signals. And I am not sure why they would care. Especially if they are transmitting an AIS location.

I don't know, but while we're waiting for someone to chime-in who does know, I'm having trouble imagining what threat the cruise line would be securing itself or its vessel against. Hijacking? It's hard to hide a cruise ship, even if its AIS is turned off. Maybe the embarrassment of running aground and having a passenger come up to the bridge, cell phone in hand, and saying "Looks like you shouldn't have come this way?"

I know my nav software shuts down on most commercial airline flights, but not all. That’s with cell service off. I think sometimes it was off when on a BC Ferry, but that might have been a GPS signal issue. Just curious, that’s all.

Jim

I have used GPS on planes. Cruise ships are not going to disable anything.

No. They don't. We were on an Alaskan cruise last fall. Granted, the ship is metal and getting a signal inside can be a challenge. Even out on the balcony, with metal all around, I had to get my phone uncomfortably near the edge of the railing. Out on deck is fine.

I can also get a signal in airplanes. Back when most people didn't even know what GPS was, I had a handheld receiver I wanted to take on the plane to try out. I made sure to ask first, so as not to worry the crew when I pulled the thing out and held it up to the window. The flight attendant asked the captain, who wanted to check out my cool new handheld GPS himself, and we chatted for a while. He gave the OK and it worked great. I still kill time on flights by trying to match up landmarks with my GPS position, phone held up to the window just like I did with that old handheld.

The problem is going to be with apps like Navionics which "like" to be always connected to the internet. You can buy ship WiFi but it's not always great everywhere, and you might be limited if you don't buy the unlimited package. Even then they might block all but a few select sites like e-mail providers and social media.

Thanks Tom. That’s interesting! I have iNavX which used to allow downloads of the NOAA Raster charts, but I’m not sure of the status of that anymore. The last I looked, some of my NOAA Rasters need updates. I only use iNavX for reference now.

Jim

I have used Navionics on my iPhone on several cruise ships without a problem.

Not sure how all these apps work but the list includes Marine Traffic.... So it is just ship internet broadcasted app or some may use your GPS.

MyShipTracking​

MyShipTracking stands out in the list of the best cruise ship tracking apps, offering an array of features that cater to the needs of both casual cruisers and maritime enthusiasts.

Myshiptracking.png

Here’s a breakdown of what makes MyShipTracking an essential tool for your journey:

• Global Tracking Capabilities:
    • Tracks ships worldwide, ideal for monitoring your cruise or observing vessels across different regions.
    • Ensures you’re always informed about your ship’s location, regardless of your cruising destination.
  • Real-Time Information:
    • Provides up-to-the-minute data on your ship’s current location, speed, and estimated arrival times.
    • Essential for planning shore excursions and coordinating activities.
  • User-Friendly Interface:
    • Intuitive design allows for easy navigation within the app.
    • Quickly search for and bookmark your cruise ship for continual updates.
  • Comprehensive Coverage:
    • Not limited to just one region, it covers a wide range of seas and oceans.
    • Useful for tracking multiple cruises simultaneously, perfect for those who love to stay connected.
  • Versatility Across Devices:
    • Compatible with smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
    • Ensures consistent access to tracking information, regardless of the device used.

I'm sure you're aware of this but I'll mention it anyway. NOAA raster charts are being cancelled by Jan 2025. Many are already cancelled. A fairly large number for

ALL Raster Navigational Charts (RNC) and Traditional Paper Nautical Charts are being canceled.

In a 2019 notice in the Federal Register, NOAA announced that it is gradually discontinuing the production and maintenance of all NOAA traditional paper nautical charts and Raster Navigational Chart products and services. All RNCs will be canceled by January 2025. More information is available on the Farewell to Traditional Nautical Charts webpage.

The last I looked, some of my NOAA Rasters need updates

Yes, I have become aware of that. On the boat, I use Coastal Explorer and have the NOAA ENCs. Similarly, CHS also is phasing out Rasters. I did not renew my CHS Raster account with CE this year, but had a subscription to the CHS ENCs instead. This I will renew annually now. With Starlink, wherever I am, updates are downloaded most days. My charts are up-to-date, as I write this.

Ok so…ENCs. Finally CHS shows land features (elevation contours) at some but not all layers of magnification. Increasingly, I am using the ENCs more and more. I don’t recall if NOAA charts show these. Until the land features are available at more detailed zooms, I will continue to go back and forth to Rasters, as long as they are available. Sorry, but as far as I am concerned ENCs continue to be lacking as pertains to land features.

Jim

JDCAVE,

I am wrestling with that as well. Been keeping my RNCs as up to date as the cancellations allow. And trying to keep the freshest cancelled RNC I can. I'll continue to use them alongside the ENCs after full cancellation of RNC. For Wa, BC and AK the rocks don't move. Much. Unless there is an earthquake. River bars, deltas etc do change and quickly at times. So for those areas ENCs lacking in visual detail as they are will be the source of truth. Eventually if I stay in boating long enough I'll be forced to proprietary charts such as Navionics to get the visual detail I prefer. But I've seen too many errors and omissions in Navionics to fully trust them. They're getting better, a lot better. I'm still wary.

I can't speak from cruise ship experience but I imagine the problem on a cruise ship is likely to be the same as on a commercial airplane: lack of GPS signal due to interference from the vessel.

Airlines don't block GPS signals, but the signals are faint and won't penetrate much beyond the window (if even that -- I have never had luck on a 787 for example, even with a receiver flat against the window). As CaptTom mentions, they used to be nervous or "ban" nav apps, but I haven't heard of hat or experienced it in years.

In a cruise ship, I agree that Marine Tracker is likely to be more useful for general ... BUT I still think the details on Aqua Map or Navionics, etc. would still be of interest even if not live tracking. So yes, install it! But then I use chart apps every time I fly (with or without a signal) as well as boat even on a ferry, so I'm not the best person to opine 🤣

JDCAVE,

I am wrestling with that as well….. For Wa, BC and AK the rocks don't move. Much.
😂 that’s the quote of the day! I was in Murchison Anchorage Haida Gwaii and I took a screen capture of the AIS target of CHS hydroacoustic survey vessel sailing right over a land feature as it left the anchorage!

Jim

I found Aqua Map on the Ipad gives you some good vector charts that can have satellite imagery in the background. You can vary the visibility of the satellite imagery in the background with a little slider. I like the presentation much more than Navionics, but Navionics has better bottom mapping detail. The only problem with the detail is it is not very accurate.

Tom

Tom: I’ve seen Navionics chart detail and I’d love to know what “creative” algorithms they use to derive that bathymetry! The source information comes from NOAA and CHS and their ENCs show no such detail.

Jim

Jim,

I wish I knew how they can provide precise detail, but my experience in using it in SE AK is it seems to have precision but lacks accuracy. I've seen the depths off by 100 ft. I have similar charts on a new Garmin 943XSV but I normally use it with a full screen for LiveScope. Sitting in the slip in Wrangell, the Garmin chart says the water 60 ft in front of me is 32 feet deep. My LiveScope says it drops off steeply in front of me to about 50 feet (we are near high tide). It's accurate on the contours but off on the depth. I probably need to run it split screen and verify its accuracy with more sample points.

Tom

Interesting, Tom. All I have used over the last 12 years are CHS and NOAA charts. In neither case to they project contours to the same extent as Navionics (when I have compared CE with a friend’s cell phone charts). Navionics sources its data from NOAA and CHS. so how do they come up with such fancy contours? Like I asked “What algorithms are they using to derive those?”

Jim

I used Aqua Map on our Columbia River cruise last year, no issues.

-Chris

My wife and I were on a cruise ship to Alaska last August and both of our cell phones were able to track us. We use Navionics.

Jim,

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say they are using some derivation of mapping software used to make topo maps. You feed in the soundings and do a lot of interpolation and you have a detailed chart. The crowd sourcing of bathymetry seeks to improve the accuracy of the charting by improving the number of sample points. CE has the option to report soundings as part of this effort and the same thing is in Aqua Map. I have turned on the reporting in CE with the hope that the depth errors get corrected sometime.

Tom

A few years ago on a trip from New York city to Boston, I was amazed how fast the train was going. Aquamaps had us around 100 MPH. Sometimes it's better not to know. :blush:

Ted

A few years ago on a trip from New York city to Boston, I was amazed how fast the train was going. Aquamaps had us around 100 MPH. Sometimes it's better not to know. :blush:
What is this "MPH" you speak of? All my navigation software shows speed in knots. ;)

What is this "MPH" you speak of? All my navigation software shows speed in knots. ;)
Actually it was Terramaps. I use Terramaps which is a sister company to Aquamaps, when I go hiking. It has all the trails in the state and federal parks. Figured nobody would know what Terramaps was and just said Aquamaps.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom