EXAMPLE: Defender vs West Marine. Whats up???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you aware of West Marine's price match and rewards program?

So here's my strategy. I go find what I want at West Marine. I then google the item on my magic phone and find it cheaper somewhere else. I go to the register with it and request a price match. If they price match it (most times they do) I buy it and get West Marine rewards points to use later. If they won't (some retailers they won't match) I buy it where it's cheaper.

I win. And I have used a lot of rewards points to buy a lot of stuff. Which makes it even better. :socool:

By the way they price match with amazon but the item has to be sold and shipped by amazon.
So that stuff I can check before I even leave the house.

West Marines Price Match Policy HERE (scroll to bottom of page):

Price Match Guarantee
If you find a lower price on an identical product at a local retail store, West Marine will match that price within 30 days of purchase.

We will price match:

Local Stores within 50 miles
Amazon, direct from Amazon only
Sale and regular prices before shipping, handling and/or sales tax charges
Retail prices for wholesale Customers​

Its been a few years, but I have done this with West Marine using Defender or Hodges prices. Besides, I hate asking for stuff like price-match. Not sure they'd honor Defender prices now. One of the clerks gave me a hard time.

Peter

Its been a few years, but I have done this with West Marine using Defender or Hodges prices. Besides, I hate asking for stuff like price-match. Not sure they'd honor Defender prices now. One of the clerks gave me a hard time.

Peter

I would think I'd hate doing it, but for years we did it at Office Depot. Now we buy all office products wholesale. But I liked shopping and knowing what I was getting at Office Depot, just wasn't willing to pay $40 or $50 more for a printer cartridge. Every pricey item I bought there for years was a price match. I don't know if they're as generous today.

I wouldn't hesitate to use West Marine's price match.

Now I can answer this one from the other side. Our hardware stores price match and I have zero problem with anyone using it. If that keeps them coming to our store to buy then we appreciate the business and our price match is working. Only occasionally is it a huge difference and then we may not make much on the sale, but we made more in the way of our integrity.

So, I'd say no apologies for price matching and use it freely at West Marine.

West Marines Price Match Policy HERE (scroll to bottom of page):

Price Match Guarantee

If you find a lower price on an identical product at a local retail store, West Marine will match that price within 30 days of purchase.

We will price match:

Local Stores within 50 miles

Amazon, direct from Amazon only

Sale and regular prices before shipping, handling and/or sales tax charges

Retail prices for wholesale Customers​

Peter

Yes BUT they restrict it to LOCAL and I don't know about you but if someone else us a betted I'll give them my business as a reward!

I would think I'd hate doing it, but for years we did it at Office Depot. Now we buy all office products wholesale. But I liked shopping and knowing what I was getting at Office Depot, just wasn't willing to pay $40 or $50 more for a printer cartridge. Every pricey item I bought there for years was a price match. I don't know if they're as generous today.

I wouldn't hesitate to use West Marine's price match.

Now I can answer this one from the other side. Our hardware stores price match and I have zero problem with anyone using it. If that keeps them coming to our store to buy then we appreciate the business and our price match is working. Only occasionally is it a huge difference and then we may not make much on the sale, but we made more in the way of our integrity.

So, I'd say no apologies for price matching and use it freely at West Marine.
Why wouldn't you reward the seller with the lower price?
How would you feel If others only used your outlets to pressure others to give them a discount and didn't reward you one bit?

Wifey B: :rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh, I can't help myself. Here we go. Hubby and I once went to Fry's electronics and they had the huge sign "we price match Amazon." We were buying software and stuff on which is was just over $250 difference. Oh they tried to make it hard. I was ready to surrender. GTHOOH and go home and order. Someone was not. So first the person helping you can't do it and they can't at the registers, so you have to go to customer service. Omg, I just stood as he went through it again. Now it gets worse. It's beyond their authorized dollar limit and must be signed by the store manager. So, hubby says get the store manager. Oh, he's in a district meeting. Well, call him there. Then hubby asks for the number for the regional. Now, we've been there in total over an hour. He talks to the regional and then magically someone comes out of an office and walks over and signs the approval so store manager was there the entire time, they were just trying to avoid the match. Make it so difficult, everyone will give up. Well, I would have, and although we made quite a scene, I was sort of proud hubby persevered. There were others standing around wanting customer service to approve smaller matches and manager signed off on those as well. We never returned there. :mad::mad::mad:

That's how not to handle matches. Oh, they stopped matching after. They also went bankrupt and closed. :hide:

Why wouldn't you reward the seller with the lower price?
How would you feel If others only used your outlets to pressure others to give them a discount and didn't reward you one bit?

Food Lion Grocery use to run adds in cities they entered that were "Whether you shop with us or our competitor, we're responsible for lowering your grocery prices over the last year."

Wifey B: :rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh, I can't help myself. Here we go. Hubby and I once went to Fry's electronics and they had the huge sign "we price match Amazon." We were buying software and stuff on which is was just over $250 difference. Oh they tried to make it hard. I was ready to surrender. GTHOOH and go home and order. Someone was not. So first the person helping you can't do it and they can't at the registers, so you have to go to customer service. Omg, I just stood as he went through it again. Now it gets worse. It's beyond their authorized dollar limit and must be signed by the store manager. So, hubby says get the store manager. Oh, he's in a district meeting. Well, call him there. Then hubby asks for the number for the regional. Now, we've been there in total over an hour. He talks to the regional and then magically someone comes out of an office and walks over and signs the approval so store manager was there the entire time, they were just trying to avoid the match. Make it so difficult, everyone will give up. Well, I would have, and although we made quite a scene, I was sort of proud hubby persevered. There were others standing around wanting customer service to approve smaller matches and manager signed off on those as well. We never returned there. :mad::mad::mad:

That's how not to handle matches. Oh, they stopped matching after. They also went bankrupt and closed. :hide:
But you still rewarded ( gave your sale) to the higher price seller (yes they lower it for one sale) and turned your back on the seller that is ALWAYS lower.
I guess you felt better causing a scene and getting your way but I tend to reward up and up sellers!
Just a different approach and you can do what you feel is best and rewards your preferred retailers.

But you still rewarded ( gave your sale) to the higher price seller (yes they lower it for one sale) and turned your back on the seller that is ALWAYS lower.

Great observation.

Food Lion Grocery use to run adds in cities they entered that were "Whether you shop with us or our competitor, we're responsible for lowering your grocery prices over the last year."
Yup
Typical Corporate Blah, Blah Blah marketing until they can enter a market and force others out then see how interested they are in helping you out.
We stick with our local family owned grocery that has been there for 100 + yrs, employes local HS kids, teaches them responsibility, manners, and customer service. Interestingly they started local delivery to those in need LOOOONG before it became popular!

I guess you felt better causing a scene and getting your way but I tend to reward up and up sellers!
Just a different approach and you can do what you feel is best and rewards your preferred retailers.

Wifey B: But we wanted it today and we're hesitant to reward Amazon, although we do on some products. We were there to buy on that day and that's what we wanted to do, but also made them look bad as they deserved and never went back. We try to reward brick and mortar retailers, because we are that but we do some online shopping as well. Have even bought from Defender, although not because of price. Because they should ship same day for next day delivery. :)

Bacchus, I applaud your attitude of awarding loyalty to the lower price local merchant. I absolutely see the merit. I just sometimes look at it as sticking it to the price gougers by forcing them to sell it to me at a price I think maybe they can't afford and giving it a little twist by taking their reward points at the same time. Believe me, there are plenty of times they won't price match a particular competitor and I take great pleasure in rewarding their competition. I used to shop at a boaters world that was near me and was always considerably cheaper until West Marine bought them out just to close them down.

:banghead:

Wifey B: But we wanted it today and we're hesitant to reward Amazon, although we do on some products. We were there to buy on that day and that's what we wanted to do, but also made them look bad as they deserved and never went back. We try to reward brick and mortar retailers, because we are that but we do some online shopping as well. Have even bought from Defender, although not because of price. Because they should ship same day for next day delivery. :)
We all can rationalize but lets be realistic that transaction might have been on their mind for a microsecond or maybe two.

I take great offense to WM's price match offer. To me, the message is "we are going to rip you off if we can by not only offering no discount below MSRP, but by actually charging you MORE than MSRP. But if you catch us, and jump through a few hoops, we won't rip you off this one time. But next time you come in, we will try again."

That's great. Just the sort of store I want to do business with.

Now mind you that this is quite different from other stores that offer price matches where their prices are generally competitive in the first place, but might sometimes be higher than their competitors on select items. That's good business, I think, because you are treating your customers well both with your general pricing, and with your pricing exception policy. That's very different from WM's attitude of "we're going to screw you if we can".

That's very different from WM's attitude of "we're going to screw you if we can".

I'm not sure WM has an attitude, but rather just have no idea what they're doing. Often though the decision is price match and have it now or wait a couple of days. Now, if they say "tomorrow" then I'd say, "I can get it from anyone tomorrow."

Now mind you that this is quite different from other stores that offer price matches where their prices are generally competitive in the first place, but might sometimes be higher than their competitors on select items. That's good business, I think, because you are treating your customers well both with your general pricing, and with your pricing exception policy. That's very different from WM's attitude of "we're going to screw you if we can".

Let me add a bit to the story. I needed 8 3/8" valves. First stop was San Diego Marine Exchange. Via a discount, I ended up paying $26/ea, considerably more than the $17/ea at Defender. SDMX is an old-school chandlery with all sorts of stuff you might need and long term employees who can answer questions intelligently. Their value proposition is based less on price and more on location, availability, and customer service. Classic brick & mortar value. I'm good with that.

West Marine used to be that style of delivery. Not anymore.

BTW - I was late to finding TF. In a way, West Marine was responsible. I had been out of boating for about 10-years and decided to refit Weebles. I went to the West Marine in St Pete to check-out radar/MFDs since I knew nothing. The 'expert' I talked to couldn't really answer many questions and he steered me to "TheHullTruth" forum for information. Someone there steered me to BOE Marine who I ended up purchasing through, and someone else suggested I ping TF.

Peter

When you buy it at West Marine, you know you have paid more than enough.

Bought some Dyneema from Defender to replace the winch cable on the dinghy crane. Couldn't splice it because the outside cover was too tight a weave. Gave up and decided I would pay WM to splice my hook on their piece of line. "Sorry we no longer splice any line".

Found a very nice gentleman who makes standing rigging for sailboats. $40 while I weighted. The line without the splice would have been $50 at WM.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done with the WM clothing store.

Ted

I was at WM a couple weeks ago and behind the register they had on the wall, "No Hassle Returns" painted in white letters on a blue background. Funny thing is, they taped over the "No Hassle" with blue masking tape. So being the usual s**t stirrer I am, I had to ask the lady behind the register if you could still return things but now they were going to make it a hassle? She said, "yes, we hassle now" in a good natured tone. To which I asked "how much hassle do I get if I return something". She said "it depends". I headed over to San Diego Marine Exchange, they don't hassle at all.

It's hard to understand where their management is headed, it doesn't seem like a good look to tape over something like that on a wall for every customer to see. And as far as I know my local store does not do price matching anymore.

Last edited:
The last time I bought at WM was a large anchor. I looked it up online and went to WM. They said they stopped matching online prices, must be a local store with the item in stock. I decided to pay the shipping from the online store.

My closest WM is an hour away from me. In a shopping plaza, Chuck E Cheese to the left and Petco to the right. Not really stocked for the stuff I need.

I would like to find a different local place to shop.

I agree with Bacchus and wouldn't go through that nightmare to get a lower price. I get that you want to make a point, but I also value my time. Is it really worth it to argue with store workers for an hour to price-match Amazon that will deliver to your door the next day (or maybe same day)? Also you are being a difficult customer to store workers who have no control over pricing and could care less about the corporate profit margin (cashiers, supervisors, etc)

:banghead:I put in a order online for overnight delivery from West Marine. Over 24 hours later the order is still waiting processing!:banghead:

Now waiting for call center to open.

:banghead:I put in a order online for overnight delivery from West Marine. Over 24 hours later the order is still waiting processing!:banghead:

Sounds like Seinfeld at the rental car counter. Anybody can take an order for overnight delivery.....

Last edited:
I went to get a full length of 1 inch of black reenforced hose from West marine. It had to be back-ordered. 4 months and I am still waiting. I did find a second supplier.

Last edited:

Call Center Charles was very nice and super helpful. He even called my marina to see if they could drop ship there and got the address and everything and gave me 2 stores that had it in stock and their phone numbers.

Email customer support - "If you place an order after 4pm it will not be processed until the following day" -- I replied with the email confirmation from them that showed a time stamp of 7:42 am, well before the 4pm cutoff. We are now past noon on the following day and it is still waiting to be shipped.
We shall see how they respond.

I hate sending billionaires to the edge of space.....:nonono:

Call Center Charles was very nice and super helpful. He even called my marina to see if they could drop ship there and got the address and everything and gave me 2 stores that had it in stock and their phone numbers.

Email customer support - "If you place an order after 4pm it will not be processed until the following day" -- I replied with the email confirmation from them that showed a time stamp of 7:42 am, well before the 4pm cutoff. We are now past noon on the following day and it is still waiting to be shipped.
We shall see how they respond.

I hate sending billionaires to the edge of space.....:nonono:

And what does a billionaire have to do with any of this? You hate them all? Even those who have spent billions on worthy causes? Just makes me curious when you toss in an off the wall comment like that.

Nope, I’d rather support the local guy that sponsors my kids lacrosse team. The person I see at a fundraiser for my neighbor that has cancer. I do order from Amazon but do cringe a bit every time.

That’s also why I’ve asked for recommendations for local Marine Suppliers.

Don’t take offense I think it’s great when people are insanely successful.

I think it’s great what Bezos ex wife has done with her alimony.

I’ll gladly pay a premium to support local.

Nope, I’d rather support the local guy that sponsors my kids lacrosse team. The person I see at a fundraiser for my neighbor that has cancer. I do order from Amazon but do cringe a bit every time.

That’s also why I’ve asked for recommendations for local Marine Suppliers.

Don’t take offense I think it’s great when people are insanely successful.

I think it’s great what Bezos ex wife has done with her alimony.

I’ll gladly pay a premium to support local.

You missed the question. What does any of this have to do with billionaires? Who is the billionaire you hate? Did you mean to say you hate businesses or hate multi-location businesses or hate Amazon? I didn't see reference to a billionaire. For all I know the local supplier may be one but what does this have to do with West Marine?

"I hate sending billionaires to space" is my way of saying I prefer not to order from Amazon if I have a local option.

Hopefully that will be a satisfactory answer.

Maybe I'm not analytical enough to be successful in business, and I'm OK with that.

Back
Top Bottom