Expedition yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your's was owned by a colleague who bought a "fleet tender" in the 90' , built the front cabin like your. The boat was in Caen France

No -- Fintry had the front cabin added when the Royal Navy privatized her service in the 90s. She went from the RMAS to Serco-Denholm and could no longer carry 100 men below deck with only one exit. She had only one private owner before us -- a man who bought her intending to turn her into a yacht who's new wife nixed the project. He did nothing to her.

There are several other Fleet Tenders that have extended deckhouses.

Jim

Hi all. Really like steel built. Been looking at Seaton yachts web site and I noticed they use " sea water " for ballast. Never heard of using sea water but then I'm not the most knowledgeable person on it either. Anyone else ever heard of it? What's the pros & cons? Thanks for your input.

I have not heard of trawlers using sea water for ballast, but some sail boats do have the ability, which allows the boat to sit flatter or carry more sail.

Later,
Dan

Dan neither have I until I went to the Seaton web site. Seatonyachts.com. I was looking at the spects on their 60ft boat and saw they using sea water for ballast.

Attachments

• images-10.jpeg
    images-10.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 156
  • N62-exterior-1-1024x567.jpg
    N62-exterior-1-1024x567.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 32
  • extreme-62-1-300x214.jpg
    extreme-62-1-300x214.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 162
If I was doing a custom build THIS would be a must

Platform is lowered below water as swim /dive platfirm and put tender on
And lifted to any position in between via cheap 4x4 winch and dyneema.

If we get overseas to the lands of cheap labour I'll get a set made for ours.

Hmmm... you've got me thinking what I can do :angel:

I think it's the new Longreach powercat that has an extending I-beam that goes in between the cabin and flybridge, and extends straight out the back with a winch/hook on the end. Fairly simple concept, but would need more engineering (I'd guess) than the inclined slipway you've shown.

Another reason for a bow PH, is that then the entire roof can be dedicated to solar panels.

Attachments

• greenline-33-hybrid-yacht.jpg
    greenline-33-hybrid-yacht.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 28
I have heard that cranes/davits located in the bow are more susceptible to rusting as opposed to places higher up and aft of the pilothouse.

I suppose it would make sense if you consider that the bow of a boat is more exposed to salt spray than the top.

Perhaps. But of all the things to consider when selecting a boat, that would be way down on my list. There are lots of other much more important consideration.

Perhaps. But of all the things to consider when selecting a boat, that would be way down on my list. There are lots of other much more important consideration.

I’d have to agree but according to James Knight it’s a thing that some apparently do consider. Possibly one less thing to worry about down the road? IDK.
Personally, I prefer an aft pilothouse and dinghy storage on the foredeck (always been a fan of the N63 partly for this reason).

No reason why you couldn't have aft wheelhouse and davits or better still one of those sliding swim platform/tender lift I put up earlier.

Personally, I prefer an aft pilothouse and dinghy storage on the foredeck (always been a fan of the N63 partly for this reason).

That's the important decision, and the side effects become things you just deal with. It's not unlike tender launching from a forward deck vs an aft deck. Yes, the aft deck is easier, but a forward deck works fine too and becomes a minor side effect of the much more important FPH/APH decision.

I suppose it would make sense if you consider that the bow of a boat is more exposed to salt spray than the top.

There is some station wagon effect on many power vessels and mixed with exhaust gasses/soot can be pretty corrosive. If the bow takes heavy spray fir long periods of time with no fresh water washings the its probably more significant at the bow.

Back
Top Bottom