Favorite Nautical Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed but watching them run in the big seas is fun to see. I would love to ride with them for a day or so just for the ride. I certainty don’t want to try to do the work though…

I would be....Usually just off camera or nearby is a big white cutter with red and blue stripes on the bow. :hello:

Gloucester, Massachusetts is a very proud port and a lot of very good men have sailed from there. It has a very rich maritime history.
Which reminds me we have been overlooking the great movie about the Soviet submarine attack on Glouw-kes-ter

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
Saw the robert Redford “all is lost” in Coolidge corner surrounded by 40-60 y.o women. Wife and I both got pissed about how unrealistic it was. Acting was great even though virtually a silent movie but left totally annoyed how the makers of the movie wouldn’t know sailors would see through all th impossibilities.

Saw master and commander.. Again totally disappointed. No resemblance to the boat. Maturin is one of my favorite characters. The thread, plot and character development that occurs through the series is totally missing. The humanity of the characters is missing. It becomes a so so action flick instead of the deep human and philosophical story it is.

Most of the public has nothing but misconceptions about deep water sailing. They don’t get the Zen of the experience. The superficial appearance of emptiness when there’s a transcendental feeling at times or sudden transient beauty. The feeling of being closer to god and nature. They say a man who has gone to sea is ruined for land. Some how that doesn’t come through in the movies. Nor does the power of an angry sea.

When you read a book or see a movie you image its world. That world is different depending upon who you are and what you bring to the viewing or reading. With reading it’s easier most times to create your own interpretation. A world consistent with what you know. With viewing it’s much harder to do that. We watch Captain Ron once a year and laugh our heads off every time. Someone who cruises had input. Although totally unrealistic in parts it got the experience right. Very few movies do that.

Same with TV shows. Watch a cop show with a cop in the room. Or lawyer with a lawyer. Or medical with a doc. They usually get pissed off as the show is far fetched compared to their reality. Same with nautical movies. Sit down with great hopes. They are rarely rewarded. Exceptions happen as with Sean Connolly performances .

Last edited:
Saw the robert Redford “all is lost” in Coolidge corner surrounded by 40-60 y.o women.

Standard limitations of the big screen and the mass marketing mindset of movie makers. If you want a truly annoying experience, watch a naval conflict or most any military movie with a retired naval officer like me. The "suspend your disbelief" experience Hollywood wants from me often gets the better of me.

+1 grano. A fair number of friends are ring knockers, putting in their twenty or were lifers. Only way to deal with it to look at them as soap operas and I don’t like soap operas.

I went into watching All is Lost knowing I couldn't watch it like a boater, suspend disbelief, apparently it was an allegory about old age, or fatalism, or surrender to the inevitable, or whatever, have to set aside expectations about practicality, etc. Even so -- couldn't help it, drove me insane.

It drives my wife crazy when we watch a movie or TV show with boats because I have to point out all the inaccuracies with the boating scenes. I try willful suspension of disbelief but with the boating stuff it isn’t easy.

Someone mentioned earlier that classic, near-documentary, SHARKNADO

My daughter and I love that movie. Although I have to admit that the sharks’ skin tone appears to be a bit inaccurate

[emoji846]

SHARKNADO .....My daughter and I love that movie.

It's not just a movie, it is an entire franchise. I think there are 6 of them!!

And I agree that the biggest problem with the urban dwelling, chain saw weilding helicopter eating sharks is the skin tone. Clearly.:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom