Fiberglass and gel coat in RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Any recommendations for someone who can do some gel coat and glass work in RI? Also looking for a new diesel/general repair person. Nothing is major but want to get on the schedule.

Feel free to pm me

Lollly..

I asked this question on another forum. I store in your neck of the woods in the winter. Several people recommended Gel Coat Jim. Name sounds kind of hokey but I spotted his truck over near your marina at one point and he looks legit. No personal experience but lots of positive feedback.

For all services, don't overlook the old Brewer locations (now Safe Harbor). They had locations in Warwick, Portsmouth and Wickford, I believe. We've always been impressed by Brewer yards. Don't know how much they've changed or the capability of those in Rhode Island as we haven't been to them.

SH is nothing like Brewers. Since the sale much has changed and imho often not for the better. Remember you’re hiring the person doing the work not the venture capitalists owning the yard.
Just had name changed on the back of our new to us boat. Nautical Dermatology (Mike) did the glasswork (a few blisters from the sign maker’s heat gun and discoloration) compounded and a few chips elsewhere. Mike’s a sub out of Prime in east Greenwich but will travel. He did a good job.

SH is nothing like Brewers. Since the sale much has changed and imho often not for the better. Remember you’re hiring the person doing the work not the venture capitalists owning the yard.
Just had name changed on the back of our new to us boat. Nautical Dermatology (Mike) did the glasswork (a few blisters from the sign maker’s heat gun and discoloration) compounded and a few chips elsewhere. Mike’s a sub out of Prime in east Greenwich but will travel. He did a good job.

Have the old Brewers locations really changed that much this soon? Aren't most of the people who were there before, still there?

I realize far different parent companies and hated to see the sale, but just wondering what the impact on day to day service.

My impression is there’s a difference between working in a corporate environment and family owned even when “family “ means a chain. My understanding from the little the yard workers tell me there’s an undercurrent of displeasure with the new work environment. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s reflected in output.

My impression is there’s a difference between working in a corporate environment and family owned even when “family “ means a chain. My understanding from the little the yard workers tell me there’s an undercurrent of displeasure with the new work environment. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s reflected in output.

I mentioned them because the OP was interested in someone for general work as well and their yards are full service. I'd still consider them. If the previous owners were good, as they were in this case, there will often be displeasure with the change. Now if you buy from lousy owners, people will often love the change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom