Fiberglass hull paint prep - simulated plank joint grooves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GREZ

Vessel Name
Slow Groove
Vessel Make
1983 34' Marine Trader DC
For my 34' Marine Trader, I am having the hull painted by a professional, but am doing the prep myself. A PO had applied a clear coat that is flaking badly in places, and totally gone in some other places. My job is to sand the remaining clear coat off, down to the 'paint'. The hull is fiberglass, with the little horizontal grooves to simulate wood plank joints, and the clear coat is perfect in those grooves.
Question is... what is the efficient, effective method to remove that clear coat? A special tool perhaps? My elbow? Chemicals? If you have 'been there' any experience or advice is most welcome. And as always, Thank You!!
Grez

I would experiment with some strippers. Perhaps one of the citrus based ones to start? Does Acetone do anything? It would be painstaking at best the completely sand those grooves.

Another possibility might be a Fein type oscillating sander. The Fein comes with a sanding block attachment with tight radius, about what would fit in those grooves. Could be modified to fit exactly it is was off too much. If the clear coat was P.U. like Awlgrip, then almost no chemical will touch it.

Still going to take awhile - I don't envy you the job.

I would try to find a tool that is about the width of the grooves and try to scrape them out.

For my 34' Marine Trader, I am having the hull painted by a professional, but am doing the prep myself. A PO had applied a clear coat that is flaking badly in places, and totally gone in some other places. My job is to sand the remaining clear coat off, down to the 'paint'. The hull is fiberglass, with the little horizontal grooves to simulate wood plank joints, and the clear coat is perfect in those grooves.
Question is... what is the efficient, effective method to remove that clear coat? A special tool perhaps? My elbow? Chemicals? If you have 'been there' any experience or advice is most welcome. And as always, Thank You!!
Grez
Sounds like the PO put the horrible PoliGlo on the hull. Sand it with 120 grit, you will spend way too much time and money with so called “strippers” and the surface will still need the 120 prep for the primer coats anyway

Poliglo does make a stripper for it I believe. Don’t know if it works or not.

Plank lines are a pain in the rear, that’s for sure. There are sander attachments for oscillating tools, and there’s a tool by porter cable called a profile sander that have the right shape tote in there, but I actually prefer to use hand sanding blocks. I have a bunch of different shapes of these by dura block. Mostly I use them for car restoration projects, but they work the same on boats.
Use self adhesive paper on them. I use a fairly coarse grit for plank grooves. You want the surface to have some tooth so it holds the paint instead of letting it run out the bottom.
You may be surprised how fast you can work your way down a plank line with an eleven inch sanding block.

Back
Top Bottom