Finance, Boats, Retirement how do you decide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are a lot smarter than I am, probably have more wealth than I do also but the bottom line I always look at is this:

A boat is an asset, not a liquid asset, not an asset which grows in value . It is simply an asset which in 99% of the cases depreciates annually. On top of depreciating, it costs a considerable amount to own and keep in decent condition.

If you can afford to buy one and can afford to keep it you should buy one.

If you think there is EVER a way to make any money from it, FORGET IT!! This includes fancy bookkeeping, renting it or working it, sharing it, leasing it, or doing anything else legal with it,fixing up a fixer upper and flipping it, you will not make money on it.

My philosophy is simple. I love my boat, I use it whenever I am able, it owes me nothing and if it became a total loss for any reason I would not be financially hurt by it. In fact, I'd probably buy another one, maybe a couple feet bigger.

pete

I am not a financial planner. But I am a banker, and among other things run a pension plan and pretty big investments portfolio. I can't tell you what you should do (no one can without a lot of information that is none of my business). What I can do is give you a framework to think about, and how it might apply to you.

The topic is how to organize your finances in retirement, and how a boat fits into that.

Personally, I would not like either of two extremes. One the one hand you can take everything and put it into annuities which together with Social Security is your retirement income. Then spend that as you see fit, with more or less luxury spending as income permits. The other extreme is to keep all cash invested, plus social security. To me the middle ground seems best. Figure out what you NEED to live on in retirement. Housing, food, insurance, modest spending budget with no luxuries. A baseline number. Get that covered with social security and an annuity. With that covered, you are not going to be without a roof over your head or food in the fridge. Invest the rest.

I would not like to go into retirement with zero cash / investments on hand. So find a balance between cash income and cash in the bank / investments. With no cash, you have no way to handle emergencies, from med bills, problems with the house, or whatever. But, too much reliance on income from investments puts you at risk of losing it, and then running out of money.

How much of your retirement cash can you afford to spend each year? The IRS tables for minimum withdrawal from an IRA are actually pretty good for that. The calculations include life expentancy. In the early years its a low percentage, and grows as you age. Because the early percentage is low, so long as you are making decent money on your investments, your investments will likely grow even though you are taking money out.

[Edited: to be more clear, if you have your baseline expenses covered with guaranteed income, anything you take out of investments each year ... at the IRS tables amount ... can be spent on luxuries, including boats.]

The trouble with any static table is that investment returns do fluctuate, and there are down years which is inevitable. You have to know that in bad times, pull back on spending to avoid cashing in investments at low prices.

How to invest it? The real issue everyone in finance is ignoring now is the old rules of thumb no long make any sense. A 60-40 or 50-50 split of stocks / bonds made sense for 50 years as rates were falling. As stocks fell, bond values would rise and there was a pretty good offset. Now with rates near zero that can't work anymore. So the issue no one wants to talk about is how to get that stability from the negative corelation of the two big portfolio pieces. The best suggestion I have is VERY imperfect, but putting the bond piece instead into stable higher dividend utility stocks, seems better than putting money into bonds that are almost assured to lose principal from rate hikes ahead.

All of that is a framework only. Only YOU can decide where your comfort level is between cash / invesments on hand vs guaranteed income.

If you don't have enough retirement money saved to be able to cover retirement expenses from annuites, face the hard truth you don't have enough saved for retirement. At the spending level you calculate in the baseline expenses calculation. You either need to find / save more for retirement, or pull back on your retirement spending expecations.

Then turn to boats.

Boats are a luxury. Cover living first. The boat costs have to come on top of what it takes to live.

Finance the boat, or pay cash?

Rates are damned low. Can you make more on investing the cash, and borrowing to buy the boat? Reasonably reliably? If so, borrow. If not, pay cash or a lot of cash and finance little of it.

But pay cash, and keep cash left over and invested for those emergencies as well as to keep your investments growing.

Planning to live on it? A part of that becomes / replaces your housing expenses in the baseline living expense calculation. Except, you better be figuring out how you are going to handle growing repair expenses as the boat ages. And understanding the value of the boat reduces over time to eventually going to zero or close to it. What then? If that's the plan, I'd personally want to have cash in hand to help with whatever the next phase of life is for housing / boat home.

Its about balance. Only you know what's best for you.

Last edited:
Don't finance toys and deprecating assets. People don't look at the cost of an item, only what the payment is each month. That's ok I guess until you need to sell it and it's worth a lot less in the current market, than what you paid for it. Every time the economy tanks, millions of people lose big time when they can't afford to make the payments and nobody is interested in buying their toys for what they owe on them

Ted

FWT, thank you for your sensible thoughts regarding retirement financial planning.
This is of great interest to me because I am both retiring very soon and actively boat 'hunting'.

I am considering paying cash as long as I can find what I want for the cash I can part with.

O C Diver, lots of people who are retiring will have a stable income that is less susceptible to the vagaries of the economy. I'm lucky to be one of them.
I'm not saying that is a green light to pile up debt but it makes having a loan more doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWT
Don't finance toys and deprecating assets. People don't look at the cost of an item, only what the payment is each month. That's ok I guess until you need to sell it and it's worth a lot less in the current market, than what you paid for it. Every time the economy tanks, millions of people lose big time when they can't afford to make the payments and nobody is interested in buying their toys for what they owe on them

Ted

That's not wrong, but its not always right either.

Separate the value of the asset from the amount of the liability. The asset is going to depreciate regardless of whether you pay cash for it or borrow.

The big issue is whether you can make significantly more on the cash not spent up front, or not. That's heavily dependent on your investment skills, and what investment climate you are in. Its dependent on how cheaply you can borrow. If the answer is that if its anywhere close, then absolutely pay cash. But that's not always the case.

Absolutes are rare. Lots of "probably" though. Your point is a "probably." For most people.

That's not wrong, but its not always right either.

Separate the value of the asset from the amount of the liability. The asset is going to depreciate regardless of whether you pay cash for it or borrow.

The big issue is whether you can make significantly more on the cash not spent up front, or not. That's heavily dependent on your investment skills, and what investment climate you are in. Its dependent on how cheaply you can borrow. If the answer is that if its anywhere close, then absolutely pay cash. But that's not always the case.

Absolutes are rare. Lots of "probably" though. Your point is a "probably." For most people.

That all sounds good till some investments go away as they did in 2008. The difference between the 2 scenarios is whether you would be comfortable liquidating your assets to buy the boat. If not, maybe the boat costs too much as a part of your net worth.

The other part of the equation is that you don't control all the expenses of a boat whether using it or not. Currently we are seeing an increase in insurance costs. In South Florida, slip costs are increasing as a function of supply and demand. This isn't an argument for whether to buy a boat, but I would guess people tend to spend more when it's only a monthly payment as opposed to I have to pay all of it right now.

If you think I'm so wrong, please explain all the foreclosures and repossessions that happen every time the economy tanks.

Ted

O C Diver, lots of people who are retiring will have a stable income that is less susceptible to the vagaries of the economy. I'm lucky to be one of them.
I'm not saying that is a green light to pile up debt but it makes having a loan more doable.

So when your stable retirement income has to pay for unexpected increases such as taxes, increased healthcare costs, increased food or energy prices, or other unplanned events, does your retirement income increase to cover them? Does your retirement income adjust for inflation which may not remain low? I may sound like doom and gloom, but just don't want to see people living in poverty in their retirement because some financial planner convinced them to mortgage their future.

Ted

O C D, I respect your concerns, they are well founded.
I was thinking more of income from Social Security and a pension, as well as annuities.

My opinion is that if you have to finance a boat during your retirement, you need to think of a different lifestyle/hobby.

I have no challenge financing a boat during your working career, but in retirement you have fewer choices.

The time for boat planning, and paying for that boat over time is while you are still working.

For those that say they can make more on their investments than the interest on a boat, I say that is a young persons game. If you are still playing that game in your elder years frankly you are one market downturn from being the guy with the happy face pasted on his forehead working as a greeter at Wal Mart.

Last edited:
I am retired. Debt free and stress free.

If my boat sank tomorrow it would be upsetting but would not impact my lifestyle at all. Income counts. If you have $500,000 to spare, buy rental property. Depreciation goes down but rental income goes up. Add that to Soc. Sec. and annuities and income is rock solid. The boat is an expense and fits my income.

I could afford a much larger boat but that brings on a host of new headaches. Right now I can single hand it necessary, travel for weeks if I want to, or not travel at all and not worry about tying up valuable assets.

Someday I might end up with a walker. If so, I'll hobble down to the boat, sit in the sun, and mumble to myself. My income stream is reliable, so I'll never need to sell anything. My kids can clean up the mess when I'm gone.

I think FWT gave some very good generic advice. He will probably be the first to tell you that no one is generic so his advice is less than perfect for most every one. I agree with what almost all have said here. Yet, I would never follow any of the advice you have given and none of you will agree with how I manage my investments.

The only thing I can really add to the conversation is diversification.

Many years ago I made a lot of money in sight seeing helicopters. Never had a bad year. I was forcibly bought out by my partner. I thought about starting a competing venture but got distracted by a real estate venture. Over the years I have become very diverse. I now hold individual stocks, mutual funds, bonds, REITs, mortgage instruments, a business., rental property and cash. I am so glad I am no longer 100% vested in a sight seeing aviation company.

That all sounds good till some investments go away as they did in 2008. The difference between the 2 scenarios is whether you would be comfortable liquidating your assets to buy the boat. If not, maybe the boat costs too much as a part of your net worth.

The other part of the equation is that you don't control all the expenses of a boat whether using it or not. Currently we are seeing an increase in insurance costs. In South Florida, slip costs are increasing as a function of supply and demand. This isn't an argument for whether to buy a boat, but I would guess people tend to spend more when it's only a monthly payment as opposed to I have to pay all of it right now.

If you think I'm so wrong, please explain all the foreclosures and repossessions that happen every time the economy tanks.

Ted

I didn't say you were wrong. I said you were "probably" right. For most people. Most of the time. Not always.

If Bill Gates were to buy a boat and his accountants said he should finance it, he isn't subject to your concerns.

If you have way more investments than needed for the boat and selling stock you have owned a long time at a very low cost basis is the way to pay cash, the tax cost to do that can be very high. Just maybe you might want to not pay 100% cash, to avoid at least some of the tax bill to do it.

Boats, cars, houses or anything you buy ... if you push the affordability limits to the edge you are asking for trouble. I can get approved for mortgages I don't think I can comfortably handle. The mortgage lender says I can afford it, but I disagree.

The fact is, you are edging into something I didn't discuss at all.

If you have your baseline expenses taken care of with reliable income streams, and have cash left over for luxuries like a boat, should you spend 100% on a boat? Nope. Not me. Buy a boat and you have now changed your baseline expenses, and how is that going to be handled? Reread my post and you will see a focus having what you need, and then more for a cushion. Same after buying a boat.

So you need to handle:
1) First, baseline living expenses, with investment cash left over for luxuries and a safety cushion.
2) Spend for the boat, and you now need more monthly cash flow to handle all boat expenses, with a cushion, and still have cash investments left over for a cushion toward #1 and now toward #2 too.

Your advice to prepare a needed cushion of resources for unexpected boat expenses is good advice. I agree.

I think FWT gave some very good generic advice. He will probably be the first to tell you that no one is generic so his advice is less than perfect for most every one. I agree with what almost all have said here. Yet, I would never follow any of the advice you have given and none of you will agree with how I manage my investments.

The only thing I can really add to the conversation is diversification.

Many years ago I made a lot of money in sight seeing helicopters. Never had a bad year. I was forcibly bought out by my partner. I thought about starting a competing venture but got distracted by a real estate venture. Over the years I have become very diverse. I now hold individual stocks, mutual funds, bonds, REITs, mortgage instruments, a business., rental property and cash. I am so glad I am no longer 100% vested in a sight seeing aviation company.

You are absolutely right. I do agree there is no "one right way".

What many people struggle with is that they have no way at all. They don't have a starting point to understand how much their retirement resources really provides for a retirement life. They can see their numbers, but can't tell how much lifestyle it can provide them. How much can / should they spend of it each year.

Which leads to overspending and going broke. Or to living like a pauper when they don't need to.

So what I was trying to address was not The One Right Way, but instead One Way to look at things.

HOW you invest the cash is an entirely different topic. I touched it but backed away. It is way too broad, detailed, with lots of what-if's and exceptions, and gets this off track fast.

So when your stable retirement income has to pay for unexpected increases such as taxes, increased healthcare costs, increased food or energy prices, or other unplanned events, does your retirement income increase to cover them? Does your retirement income adjust for inflation which may not remain low? I may sound like doom and gloom, but just don't want to see people living in poverty in their retirement because some financial planner convinced them to mortgage their future.

Ted

Now you are into how to invest.

Will your investments approach reliably lead to sufficient increases in income over time to handle 1) normal inflation, and then 2) substantially higher inflation.

The point I am trying to raise, really, is an analytical framework. Once you lay out something for yourself you really need to push at each piece a bit and test it in your own mind. Step one is figuring out your baseline expenses, then covering them. Some will "cheat" and say that number is less than it really is. You just have to be honest in how you look at each piece. Push at it a bit and be honest. And then step back and look at how it all balances out. If YOU are not comfortable with it, then no matter what the math says its still wrong. Change the balance. Its just a framework. No more than that.

It can be done. Let's not go there though. Its a deeper and broader topic than the OP raised.

For starters, return to my central point of having what you need, plus a cushion. No matter what you choose to do, you need a buffer against the unexpected. Unexpected expenses. And unexpected changes in less certain income streams.

On the topic of "pushing at" your expenses forecasts.

First, forecasts is a fancy name for wild guess. Look that fact in the eye for what it is.

Second, fuel cost.

Let's not get into the politics of it all, but we just left behind an administration that was fine with fracking and drilling for oil that made the US a net exporter of oil for the first time since it seems like forever. We now have an administration that isn't fine with fracking and pipelines.

Oil has moved from $40 to $60 months into the new administration.

So you are fine with that go-fast trawler burning a lot of $2 fuel. How fine are you doing that at $4 fuel? $6 fuel?

Boat expense guesses should account for that.

Some amount of boat debt "might" make sense today when money is being given away at an interest cost of close to zero.

It won't make sense at all in some future day when interest costs are much higher.

Hello neighbor! (I'm also on Lake Champlain.)
I'd highly recommend you check out www.cruisingseaventure.com. This is a couple who retired early and live aboard their 54 footer in the Pacific Northwest.The share a LOT of the kind of information you need!

Cheers!

If one paying 4% interest on their boat loan, but can make 5% interest investing their money elsewhere, financially it makes sense to finance the boat. Any tax savings would then be icing on the cake!

....Unless of course the market tanks or your money invested elsewhere does not achieve 5%+ you cry.

My approach has always been, boats are a luxury item, not a necessity. All my boats were loan free purchases and not dependent upon income flow, except for maintenance, moorage and insurance. If income flow stopped, boat got sold, usually at a loss.
Also, once I make the boat mine, thereafter if I work on it more than use it, it goes up for sale.
On this cycle (pun) the boat is getting the greater attention with use and I keep looking at the parked Harley wondering if it is time to sell it, only rode it 1K last year. I don't like luxuries to sit unused, I am not a collector.

I agree with this approach, especially if you are going to be a liveaboard. You always need a place to live, so doesn't really matter how much your house appreciates, except for your heirs. I guess the difference is that you probably won't own the same boat for the next 40 years and at some point you may want to move back on land. I would approach it like you are moving to a new home and budget appropriately. There is no magic formula for everyone.

BTW Soo, after many years of motorcycling of 5-6K miles avg/yr, I ended up selling after a couple seasons where I barely went through a tank of gas. Eventually it loses its attraction or you are just not physically up to it anymore. For me it was some of both. That's not a bad thing, just part of the life "cycle".

You should have a pretty good idea of what you gross income will be in retirement - say $100.000 per annum.

Assuming you have no other loans or significant financial demands you may be able to finance a boat with monthly payments of about $3,000. This is approximately a $450,000 20 year loan.

Assuming you put a 10% down on the loan your boat could cost $500,000. Now figure in annual maintenance, docking and fuel so add 10% of the boat’s value, so say $50,000 per year or about $4,000 per month.

Total monthly cost about $7,000 with an annual cost of $84,000 per year. Not too affordable on an annual gross income of $100,000.

You may be able to play with these numbers and their assumptions and come up with the numbers you are looking for and comfortable with.

If one paying 4% interest on their boat loan, but can make 5% interest investing their money elsewhere, financially it makes sense to finance the boat. Any tax savings would then be icing on the cake!

....Unless of course the market tanks or your money invested elsewhere does not achieve 5%+ you cry.

Another choice is to keep your money in the bank in a CD, earn 0.75% interest, pay income tax on the 3/4 of 1% interest, and CRY! :D

Jim

You should have a pretty good idea of what you gross income will be in retirement - say $100.000 per annum.

Assuming you have no other loans or significant financial demands you may be able to finance a boat with monthly payments of about $3,000. This is approximately a $450,000 20 year loan.

Assuming you put a 10% down on the loan your boat could cost $500,000. Now figure in annual maintenance, docking and fuel so add 10% of the boat’s value, so say $50,000 per year or about $4,000 per month.

Total monthly cost about $7,000 with an annual cost of $84,000 per year. Not too affordable on an annual gross income of $100,000.

You may be able to play with these numbers and their assumptions and come up with the numbers you are looking for and comfortable with.

I would question the 50K/yr maintenance, fuel, etc, that seems excessive. There should be a better formula than 10% of boat's value. Seems like something based on length would be more appropriate.

I would question the 50K/yr maintenance, fuel, etc, that seems excessive. There should be a better formula than 10% of boat's value. Seems like something based on length would be more appropriate.

As is often noted here and elsewhere, the amount of owner participation
can have a very large impact on the annual upkeep cost.
Dockage and fuel costs are relative to the boat's size more than value, too.

Experiment to Solve the Equation

Hi Newt --

Thank you for causing such a stir. I can't imagine you reading one more reply ... so I will be brief.

Every response is coming from a certain point-of-view. Mine is coming from a former Merchant Marine officer, Unlimited Tonnage. I've been to 70 countries, most by ship.

I live aboard and have for three years -- two Chesapeake Bay winters.

I live by myself, so I have no considerations for others besides guests and the occasional visitor. I live small and economically. I live on a boat because I like it -- the machine itself and my surroundings.

I didn't read anyone else's responses. Who has that time?! So forgive me if this reply is irrelevant or the 22nd time you've heard the same thing.

--

You may consider yourself fortunate if you are considering 'retiring' in your mid-40's. Personally, I advise against this. I think men were made to work. So make your retirement as busy and productive as possible.

Winters are cold enough on the Northern Chesapeake. I can't imagine going through one in Lake Champlain. I'm assuming you'll be in Florida or cruising the ICW regularly. The fuel cost is not insignificant, even for a Trawler.

A boat is never a financial asset. They are expensive to maintain properly and they require more maintenance than a house. It is easier to find service for a house when needed as well.

Despite what the CPAs on this forum may say, I would not have a loan on a boat. Save your money and buy what you can afford but be certain that it satisfies your Minimum Criteria...

...which is likely to be completely different from my Minimum Criteria, but may have some of the same considerations:

• Do you need an office, workshop, stand-up engine room?
  • How many staterooms?
  • When was the last survey, bottom paint?
  • Where has she lived her life, fresh or salt water?
  • What records and documentation are available?
  • Design of hull, single or dual engine, tankage?
  • Purchase price, vessel location?
On and on. Discuss with with your wife / significant other. Do not waste time looking at any vessel not meeting the Minimum Requirements. You may be smitten.

Your day-to-day expenses will not significantly change just because you sold your house and became a liveaboard. You'll buy groceries and cook meals. You'll eat out. You may have less space to heat and air condition, but the electric rate may be four times higher than anything you've ever seen.

Fuel cost is a function of use -- surprise! You can do the math for this easily. Most vessels have a known burn-rate or you can back into a good approximation by looking at similar vessels (tonnage, waterline length, engines). How far do you want to go? That translates into days and hours and gallons-per-hour. Multiply it out including the finagle factor of next year's fuel costs. Or use Navionics to figure out your trips -- it has a built-in calculator for fuel.

How you plan to use your boat (waterfront apartment or actively cruising?) may impact your expenses, but it could be a wash, too. In my area, you can expect to pay $5000 to $7000 / year for a liveaboard slip. That can pay for a lot of cruising. Double those numbers if you need a home base from which to cruise.

You can get estimates for haul-outs, zincs, oil changes, bottom paint, etc., etc., from your local yard. Other yards will likely be higher. Some owners do most of the maintenance themselves, others write prodigious checks. Where are you in this spectrum? (And remember this will change as you age.)

To stay comfortable within my income, I do most work myself. I'm 63 and healthy. I live on a simple boat. I cook almost all my meals. But I could not / would not own a home and a liveaboard boat at the same time. I don't want to double my maintenance and my maintenance budget. So I sold the house and moved onto the trawler.

That can be a traumatic experience. You basically get rid of everything. Your grandparents furniture. The paintings. Your books. Shop equipment. Everything. This is to your last [and most important] point regarding "a comfortable enough home."

Many people cannot do without stuff. Paring your life down to bare essentials takes focus and fortitude. Some regret it later. Google "tiny house failure" for the complete picture.

You and your partner (I am assuming) will need to decide how much space is required as part of your Minimum Criteria. Not sure what that amount is? Charter something for a month. You'll get an idea.

Weather has much to say about comfort. Some can tolerate cold. Some hate humidity. Some systems that are perfectly fine in the Northeast roll over completely on the Gulf Coast. Those sunny decks are useless in rain and wind. This adage is true on water as well: Location, location, location.

The space inside can be maddening or healing. I have three kerosene lanterns that I burn during winter. I love their cheery glow. Those plus a $200 / month electric bill keep me warm in the winter. Most of my friends and employees would be too cold.

So understand what "comfortable" means to you. Space, layout, lifestyle, marina, geographic location, colors, comfort of furniture, windows, slip assignment, heating, cooling, washer / dryer (I have on my small boat), galley layout / capabilities, bathhouse ... these criteria address comfort far more than "single-versus-dual."

Boats are always too small. You either make peace with that or you give up.

You need to answer your own questions, Newt. Solve the Minimum Criteria first by experimentation. Charter this boat, charter that boat. Compare and be brutally honest. Ultimately, you can only approximate how you will feel, so put the grandparents furniture and everything else in storage for two years. Allow yourself and your partner an experiment, with the starting point determined by your personal research and experience. Launch yourself aboard and see how it goes. In two years, re-evaluate. If you haven't touched or missed the stuff in storage, if you're still healthy and together ... then sell the stored goods and put that towards the fuel bill!

Welcome aboard.

--s--

Welcome aboard TF. You are in a wonderful area. Lk Champlain has a lot to offer and great places to stretch your cruising area beyond the Lk. We have been there twice and its one of our favorites. Access to canals make possibilities endless.

Little off topic but I'll pass on what I felt was the most helpful exercise for us re financial planning & retirement.
Step 1... do an analysis of where your gross income goes currently. Not to the penny but make it complete and agree w gross income. Scour checks, online payments, CC bills, etc
Step 2... what do you estimate the buckets will do in short term... while still earning?
Step 3... what would you like it to be in retirement and when does that start and how long does it need to last
Step 4... get / find someone advisor, bank, crefit union to run the financial cases to determine your probability of success, will you outlive your$ or fall short before desired?
Step 5... adjust expectations and implement early steps of your plan, then monitor adherence to plan and make adjustments.

Back to your original question nobody knows your situation or can provide financial advice thats best for you. Once you establish a reasonable "entertainment / leisure" budget folks here could help guide you to a realistic option. There are MANY ways to enjoy boating and the water and in many different budget brackets. Don't let a high estimate scare you away from doing something you'd like to do / try... find a way to do it within your budget.

Last edited:
We used the equity in our house to refi and take out enough money to buy our Grand Banks 36. Interest write off is part of the house payment and interest rate is that of the house loan which is enormously less than a standard boat loan. We were careful to take out more than we needed for the actual purchase price after carefully itemizing all work/new gear we would be putting into the boat.

Back
Top Bottom