Ford Lehman idle adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
CHiTON
Vessel Make
Tung Hwa Clipper 30
The owner's manual for the Ford Lehman has a tiny picture of the injector pump with an arrow to the idle adjustment. It says to loosen the lock nut to adjust the idle screw. On the top of my injection pump is a lock nut on a screw but it has a wire securing it. In the picture, it is on the left with a little bit of red paint missing because I turned the lock nut. Throttle and engine cutoff levers to the right.

I just wanted to make sure that this was the idle screw before adjusting (left or right?) Seems odd that it would have a wire through the screw (hard to see in the picture) to make it look like adjustment was forbidden.

After a rebuild, my engine is idling at 550 and I have already had it stall once when maneuvering at idle.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_181858952 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230617_181858952 (1).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 107
The picture was rotated and the suspected screw is now just to right of center towards the top.

My manual shows the adjusting screw as being on the engine side of the Simms injector pump body. That is, if you look to where the rod I think you are describing comes out the other side of the injection pump, I believe that is where the adjustment is made. I cannot figure out how to get to it to adjust it as the tube and hose that runs from the expansion tank to the heat exchanger runs right over the top of it and was going to poise the question to Brian this week.

Tator

DO NOT mess with that calibration adjustment atop the Simms injector pump with the security wire - that's for the professionals at the Simms repair shop. There are two similar adjusting screw and locknut combinations, one over top of the other) between the engine and the Simms pump which can only be accessed from the aft end of the pump with a long screw driver (for the adjusting screw) and a 1/4" drive with long extension (for the locknut). One is for surge control and the other is the idle adjustment. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which was which.

Have someone move throttle with engine dead and you will figure it out.

I prefer a low idle when shifting.

Have someone move throttle with engine dead and you will figure it out.

I prefer a low idle when shifting.

The idle adjustment on a Simms is not nearly so straigh forward as it is on my much more powerful Yanmar because the adjustment screw is NOT impinging the throttle lever.

That is the idle adjustment. Before fiddling with it remove the throttle cable from the engine. No idea why there is a wire on it.

With any adjustment like this mark it with a sharpie so if something goes awry you can put it back exactly as it was before.

Alan & Darina on Sea Moose
“The Adventures of Yorksie and Me”
Currently begging for Paragon Parts to fix our transmission so we can continue the loop

There should be an adjusting screw on the end of the throttle cable. I don't think you want to mess with the injector pump adjustment.

pete

There should be an adjusting screw on the end of the throttle cable. I don't think you want to mess with the injector pump adjustment.

pete

It's possible to adjust the idle at the throttle cable or the two screw/locknuts which are surge control and idle. The FL120 manual tells exactly to adjust the latter. In my case, idle speed was too high even with the throttle cable removed, so I needed to adjust the speed down using the adjusters on the injector pump. In fact, one of the engines is still idling too high & the Simms adjustors didn't fix it. In the case of the other one they did - still a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, start by reading the manual - page 28:

https://www.kp44.org/ftp/FordLehmanOperatorsManual.pdf

Have you never read a thread about a FL engine where Brian at American Diesel hasn't been mentioned?

Can Brian when you are at the engine and he will give you the exact answer you need.

Call him for ANYTHING FL he has the knowledge and the parts.

Then don't loose the number.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom