Fresh Water Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott Barnard

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Laurel Sommers
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST44 (2014)
Thinking a filter may be helpful to improve/maintain good water onboard. A standard (common) 10" filter system at H'Depot w/3/8" inlet/outlet might do it, but curious if the 3/" would overly restrict the 3/4" supply to the pump.

Am told to install the filter before the pump, agreed?

If pressure is dropped, is it safe to change pump from 40psi to 50 or 60psi?

Thanks all, Scott & Nancy

Thinking a filter may be helpful to improve/maintain good water onboard. A standard (common) 10" filter system at H'Depot w/3/8" inlet/outlet might do it, but curious if the 3/" would overly restrict the 3/4" supply to the pump.

If pressure is dropped, is it safe to change pump from 40psi to 50 or 60psi?

Pressure limits might depend on your interior plumbing. If it's PEX, for example it can handle boatloads of pressure. Not sure about others.

Filtering depends on what you're trying to solve. Dock water, from a city water source? Some filtering might remove some residual chlorine, if there is some. Dock water from a well? Filtering could remove some sediment, if there is some. (Our dock water bypasses our freshwater pump, so we filter that right at at our inlet at the transom.)

Inline filtering can impact pressure, but we routinely use a dual-gradient 25/1-micron filter element (in a Pentex "Big Blue" 10" housing, in our case with 3/4" inlet/outlet) without much impact on pressure.

Filtering dock water as you fill your freshwater tanks wont impact water pressure. It's a little overkill, but we use a .5-micron carbon block filter for that... cause I don't usually care how much time it takes.

There are point-of-use drinking water filters from household suppliers (Meon, etc.) and an interesting looking one from Forespar.

And then there are drinking water filter pitchers from Pur and Brita...

-Chris

Last edited:

I'd think you would want a strainer before the pump, per the instructions (and supplied strainer) for my FW pumps. They do not suggest a finer particle filter before the pump.

We have the very same set up AFTER the pump (with a strainer before the pump). Works great. I just have to remember to change the filter a few times a year...

we drink our boat water from the tank. we have a general ecology .4 micron filter that has a T to a dedicated faucet at galley sink and ice maker. all water going into the tank is pre-filtered with a 20 micron camco then a 3 micron general ecology pre-filter.

I have a separate drinking water faucets in the galley for filtered water for the Keurig and drinking. It uses a .4 micron element and flows very slow.

It is supplied by 3/8" tubing.

Unless you are using a high GPH pump, 3/8" should be fine.

OK thanks all. We ended up with a Big Blue 10" 3/4" inlet housing and a carbon filter, installed just upstream of the pump. This is working fine with no noticeable flow reduction. The 3/8" smaller unit had noticeable reduction.

Will be using the mentioned practice of filling up with an in-line filter, and using our own hose (to avoid anything living in the dock hoses).

Much appreciated, Scott and Nancy

OK thanks all. We ended up with a Big Blue 10" 3/4" inlet housing and a carbon filter, installed just upstream of the pump. This is working fine with no noticeable flow reduction. The 3/8" smaller unit had noticeable reduction.

Will be using the mentioned practice of filling up with an in-line filter, and using our own hose (to avoid anything living in the dock hoses).

Much appreciated, Scott and Nancy

I did forget to mention that I use a clean fill hose. That is another key to the puzzle to keep the water fresh and potable.

Scott,
Very good idea to use your own "special purpose" hose for filling your freshwater tank. I have seen some people use the dock hose for flushing their "black" tank actually putting the end in the pumpout fitting!!! Yuck!!
Once per year, clean your entire freshwater system per Peggy's (Headmistress) instructions. However, if you have aluminum water tanks don't use bleach.

This is what I installed on my boat, strainer before the pump, then a single microbial/chemicals filter after the pump. No noticeable change in water flow. Filter is to be change every 6 months, as we are cruising only half of the year it makes it a yearly change before going back to water.

L

I noticed you installed the filter upstream of the pump. As others mentioned, they like to be on the pressure side, not the vacuum side. This probably won't be a big deal, but if you have one of those red "pressure relief" buttons, the vacuum may cause it to be sucked down and your system might lose some suction. This is more likely to happen after the spring inside the pressure relief button gets a little tired.

It's not a giant drama, but your first sign might be small air bubbles at the faucet. It's conceivable that you might also see your pump cycling more frequently or reduced water flow. But either way, the filter will continue to work. Just be aware of these things if you find mysterious symptoms in the future.

If you don't have one of those buttons, no worries.

Yes, location was a debated point. With both up and down stream recommendations, we decided on upstream or pulling thru similar to fuel and oil filters. But your point is well taken and logical, as those filters don't have little red buttons!

Thank you, will monitor, and can easily change if/as needed.

So when at a marina or tied to my dock I run city water thru a filer I made. You can get all the parts at Lowes. I use a charcoal filter. I change it every 60 days.

Then from my water tank on the uphill side of the pump I have 2 filters in series. I change them every 6 months. These will be changed in February. The reason for the placement of the filters uphill from the pump is to protect the pump from crude in the water tank. 20220124_142322.jpg20220124_141950.jpg

Yes, location was a debated point. With both up and down stream recommendations, we decided on upstream or pulling thru similar to fuel and oil filters. But your point is well taken and logical, as those filters don't have little red buttons!

Thank you, will monitor, and can easily change if/as needed.

Good, then I bet you will be fine. I think you'll be happy with the filter also. I did the same thing you did and it's nice having the carbon block filter. It really helps with taste.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom