Fuel Dock Prices - anyone filling up these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I see Crude Oil closed today at negative $35/bbl (yes, that means that if someone had a barrel of oil to sell, they'd have to pay someone $35 to take it off their hands). It got me thinking......if diesel at the fuel dock was, say, $2/gallon when crude was $35/bbl; and it's now -$35/bbl, does that mean......the fuel dock would cut me a check for filling up? Definitely has my buddy with a 52-foot powercat hankering to blow down the coast at 25-kts.

What are people seeing at fuel docks these days? At least ones that are open?

Peter
St Pete FL

I see Crude Oil closed today at negative $35/bbl (yes, that means that if someone had a barrel of oil to sell, they'd have to pay someone $35 to take it off their hands). It got me thinking......if diesel at the fuel dock was, say, $2/gallon when crude was $35/bbl; and it's now -$35/bbl, does that mean......the fuel dock would cut me a check for filling up? Definitely has my buddy with a 52-foot powercat hankering to blow down the coast at 25-kts.

What are people seeing at fuel docks these days? At least ones that are open?

Peter
St Pete FL

"I see Crude Oil closed today at negative $35/bbl (yes, that means that if someone had a barrel of oil to sell, they'd have to pay someone $35 to take it off their hands)"
That was for May options which were expiring.

"does that mean......the fuel dock would cut me a check for filling up?"
No, not unless the 'bought' some of this fuel and then arranged delivery to their storage and paid for those costs.

"What are people seeing at fuel docks these days? At least ones that are open?"
No docks open here - we are in a hot spot.

$4.85/gallon in the Bahamas and that’s down from over $5 two weeks ago. What is Pemex charging?

I left Playa del Carmen Mexico 2-weeks ago. Diesel was $16MXN/Liter. At current exchange rate of around $24MX/$1USD, works out to around $2.50/gallon. It's probably come down since then.

Crazy world these days. I thought Crude at $30/bbl a few weeks ago was a bargain. Jeesh - was I wrong.

My observation is fuel docks are way behind the market. They price based on what they paid for the oil in their tank, not what the market will bear.

Hope you're doing well in Bahamas Larry. I know you don't get too many crocodile tears from many for being stuck on a boat in Bahamas, but I (for one) know that the uncertainty is unnerving. Not exactly Omaha Beach, but still, unnerving.

Good luck -

Peter

Took on 160 gallons at Osprey Marina in South Carolina yesterday. 1.49 a gallon with my 10 cent a gallon Boat US discount. I'm happy, happy.

Brownsville, WA - 1.76/g

Bought 600+ gallons....

Last season our marina charged $4 per gallon (gas/petrol). Somehow I suspect this season it will be: $4.00 per gallon.

National news said, tankers are having to pay to offload their fuel in the US. First time in history.
Doesn't explain gasoline still at $1.79/gal
I suspect some fake news.

Last edited:
Talking Australia, where we always pay more per volume than the US for all fuels, whereas on average before this pandemic, one was lucky to get diesel at less than $1.50 a litre, yes, litre, not gallon), and petrol, (what you call gas), at $1.50/L about average, depending on octane, now diesel is ~ $1.20/L and we are getting eg E10 gas for as low as ~ 79cents/L. So although the low price of oil is relevant, I suspect it is mainly the drop in consumption that's causing most of our drop, as the cost of oil seems to not affect things very much normally. They (fuel co's) blame it for price hikes, if it goes up, but when it drops it takes ages for that to be passed on in fuel price dropping. As a result most of us are not feeling much sympathy for the fuel co's at present. :nonono:

Diesel by truck right now around $1.45. Much like the stock market, I'm holding 17,000 gallons at $2.75 or more.

Pops up on my feed this morning. (-;

attachment.php

Attachments

• screengrab-20200421-110248~01.jpg
    screengrab-20200421-110248~01.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,129
We took on over a tonne when we went back in the water last week.
Then we paid $1.14/litre

Looking forward to lower prices and I'll get another 2 tonne.

100LL (small airplane gas) is cheaper than I ever remember. Usually Anything under $6/ gallon was a decent price.

Attachments

• 447936BE-9521-49BF-AB1F-579CEE60198B.jpg
    447936BE-9521-49BF-AB1F-579CEE60198B.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 77
I fueled up yesterday in Bellingham, WA. It was $1.94 before taxes. With taxes 2.11.

Fuel dock at my marina opens this weekend, so I'm curious to see what their prices are. Hopefully lower than they were at the end of last year. Of course, I'll be launching in a few weeks with full tanks, as I filled up at $4.39/gal before hauling last October...

NC delivery by truck last week - 300 gallons at $1.79 including tax.

I filled up in Everett on Saturday, 3.57 a gallon.

Gasoline at the pump for cars less than $1.00 per gallon in Central Wisconsin. I have not purchased any for the boat yet. I filled it last fall as is my custom with $4.00 per gallon diesel.

I have new fuel tanks in my boat, too bad, the old ones would have leaked out all the fuel over the winter and I could have the opportunity to refill at less than $2.00 per gallon

pete

Based on Waterway Guide NE Florida still running between $2:70 and $3:00 for diesel.

I don't think its because of their last fill as boating around here is more active than usual with many more boats out during the week. We took a ride yesterday in our runabout and filled up with gas at Palm Cove Marina at $2.95 all in. Diesel is $2:80.

We will definitely watch it in the next couple of weeks as we plan to still head out for a month or two when this all blows over.

The old thumbrule of mortgage rates and gasoline prices; up fast and down slow.

Based on Waterway Guide NE Florida still running between $2:70 and $3:00 for diesel.

I don't think its because of their last fill as boating around here is more active than usual with many more boats out during the week. We took a ride yesterday in our runabout and filled up with gas at Palm Cove Marina at $2.95 all in. Diesel is $2:80.

We will definitely watch it in the next couple of weeks as we plan to still head out for a month or two when this all blows over.

The marinas will be slow to reduce while fuel trucks are already way down.

Just picked up 1300 gallons yesterday at Jankovich in San Pedro and paid $1.99 per gallon out the door. I was very excited!!

I needed about 300 gallons and filled up at Cap Sante (Anacortes) fuel dock about a month ago. $2.17 per gallon, including tax. I heard recently that diesel at the Port of Brownsville fuel dock is below $2 a gallon!

Talking Australia, where we always pay more per volume than the US for all fuels, whereas on average before this pandemic, one was lucky to get diesel at less than $1.50 a litre, yes, litre, not gallon), and petrol, (what you call gas), at $1.50/L about average, depending on octane, now diesel is ~ $1.20/L and we are getting eg E10 gas for as low as ~ 79cents/L. So although the low price of oil is relevant, I suspect it is mainly the drop in consumption that's causing most of our drop, as the cost of oil seems to not affect things very much normally. They (fuel co's) blame it for price hikes, if it goes up, but when it drops it takes ages for that to be passed on in fuel price dropping. As a result most of us are not feeling much sympathy for the fuel co's at present. :nonono:

Same sort of situation regarding fuel prices here in Canada.

Our marina store is closed and you have to phone to arrange fueling, so I've started taking a 20 litre jerry can of diesel when I drop down to the boat.

Todays price was $1.10 per litre. Both gas and diesel prices get lower as you go inland. Just checked diesel in Prince George (600km east of here) and it's .78 cents a litre.

Last edited:
We ran our tanks down last summer in anticipation of replacing our port tank. While the tank replacement didn’t work out we will be starting this year with less than 1/2 tanks. Finally I beat the system. Usually I buy high and sell low... We are scheduled for launch on the 30th if the yard interpreted the new stay closed order correctly.

Filled up 2 weeks ago in Seattle on lake union for $1.54/gal diesel. Now it’s $1.19. Gonna go top those 200 gallons I burned back off! Ballard Oil and Covich Williams for the win.

We are getting shafted, marina fuel still at $1.45a litre, that works out at about $5.20 Au a US gallon.

Checked diesel prices by phone last week. Campbell River and False Creek Fuels were very similar, around $0.95/L. It depended on volume purchased.

This similar price is unusual as in past Campbell River was always much lower. Perhaps they are still stuck with fuel purchase before this recent fall in prices?

Filled up last Wednesday, 26 gallons of diesel at $2.64 at Edenton Marina. For my Nimble Wanderer, that's about 1/3 of total capacity. After filling up, I went out for a 42 naut. mile ride. Came back, the fuel gauge is still pegged at full.

Back
Top Bottom