Fuel injector pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So after all my dirty fuel issues I pulled out injectors for a birthday. Guy at diesel shop said one of the two sets of injectors were completely blocked and full of water. Other side had normal wear. He recommended pulling off injector pump also for him to have a quick look at.
This all sounds reasonable as the port motor was getting the bulk of the dirty fuel, just because of the way the fuel tank manifold works!
Anyway, I know this has all been spoken about heaps, but any simple advice for injector pump timing would be much appreciated!
Also the rubber boots for the injectors on outside of motor all appeared to have a ring of silicone it looked like to help in sealing?
Should I do same when putting back together??

Thanks in advance, Adam

What engine is it?

Also, did you know you got water into the inj pump? As in misfiring and stalling?

2715e 120 Ford Lehman.

Changed about 30 filters over 100 hrs of motoring. Constantly draining water traps on filters, motors stalling, change out filter, bleed, get going again!

Port motor was worst and became quite Smokey on final 10 hours of journey, the same motor with the blocked injectors and making diesel in engine sump.

To your question about injector pump timing of a 2715E, I have removed and reinstalled the inj pump from one of these engines in the past and did the timing. There is a special tool to use at the pump which has a point which slots into a dimple seen through an access port. However, when I called Brian at American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA to check on this, he suggested that I could eyeball the dimple's "centeredness" as long as the timing mark on the flywheel (observed through the viewing port at the back end of the drain pan with flashlight and mirror) was at 20-thing degrees (check with him on the exact degrees).

In the several times over three decades I removed and reinstalled the injectors on my two 2715Es I never used any sealant on the seals where the fuel injection lines go through the side of the head, and I never had any leaks. I do not suppose there would be any harm in using some high temperature sealant, but you should be able to just make sure the surfaces are clean and snug them up.

I made my own alignment tool by drilling a hole in a half inch pipe plug andfiberglassinf a sharpened nail into the center.

pete

Great, away from boat for a few days and waiting on pumps to return.
Doesn’t sound too complicated, cheers for advice, will let you know how I go!

Have put new injectors and refurbished pumps back together on boat now. Bought a cheap flexible telescopic camera to see timing marks on flywheel, aligned dimple on pump with hole, everything perfect. Put both back together and engines didn’t fire. Questioned mechanic who did injectors and pump and he told me flywheel does two rotations to pumps one, so could be 180 degrees out??
50/50 chance I was eight, but after checking rockers moving at timing mark, turns out both were 180 degrees out!!!!!
So pull them off again, re install and everything’s good.
Have since drained old fuel, added fresh and re drained, sight glasses clean as now.
Touch wood, all is good.
Thanks for all help.

Back
Top Bottom