Galley up, or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see any need to compromise in my galley location. I want what I want and I want it now. When I'm cooking I don't want to have to take a single step, let alone three, to talk to my wife or guests. And when my wife is cooking, I want to be able to talk to her without her having to reposition. I'm spoiled that way.

When dining and I'm ready for another bottle of wine, I like reaching for the fridge less than a step away. When a group is mingling in the salon, I like the chips and salsa right next to the caviar within reach on the kitchen counter. I like the aroma of cooking right there in my living room.

Of course, some would disagree. My friends with professionally crewed boats prefer to keep all of the support staff out of sight and out of mind. Food magically appears on the table, the boat moves itself from port to port and cleans itself after the owners turn in.

I've never lived that way. During family gatherings such as Thanksgiving, the kitchen is the epicenter of all activity. Guests and family alike drift through; sampling, laughing, cajoling and often times conscripted into service removing trash or cranking the ice cream freezer... all with the undercurrent of food preparation as the backdrop. For us, it's a resounding "galley up!"

(Its kinda scary perched on top of this soap box. I'll get down now)

I'm old, and I don't live aboard, but one of my prerequisites was as few stairs as possible, so I could continue to drive and enjoy my boat into my rusty (not golden) years. So, I love my up galley (and the good visibility of the lower helm.) I have 2 stairs going to the stateroom and head, and of course the ladder going to the flybridge, which now has a removable extension, so I can climb it one handed after shoulder surgery last winter. And since the gallery is L-shaped and open to the salon, I can put a couple of folding chairs in there. I will look for some pictures.

Obviously there isn't a 'right' answer. We've had both. I could list advantages and disadvantages for both. What we found looking at boats was you really had to look critically at the galley for practicality regardless of where it was located. You could tell some galleys were more for show than use.

I've seen poor galleys and good galleys both located up and down. One thing we learned was that with the galley up you tend to put more stuff away to keep it neat.

Galley

Another vote for a down galley- I like the separation.

I like the galley down. It's just 2 steps and has a serving/conversation window

Btw 34 MainshipII

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_184925789.jpg
    IMG_20190722_184925789.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 26
Galley

Another vote for a down galley- I like the separation.

I like the galley down. It's just 2 steps and has a serving/conversation window

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_184925789.jpg
    IMG_20190722_184925789.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 18
Thank so very much. We may just take you up on this offer come spring.
We are slipped at the narrows in Orillia, and there's just not many trawlers in this area. There is a Tolleycraft 34 in our marina, but I only spoke with the owners briefly, so I haven't had a chance to hint to them that I'd like to take a look inside, :whistling:
Maybe they're on this forum? Lol
Al.

Hi Df - Our 34' Tolly tri cabin has galley up... love it!! 34' sedan Tollys are mostly galley up too. What model and year is the 34'er Tolly you mention?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom