Garmin with TimeZero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stiggy

Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 48 Northsea
We just recently purchased a KK that has a full Garmin electronics suite. While the installation is proper and seems to be working well enough, i certainly miss Furuno and TimeZero. Before we go down the route of a full replacement, which i rather not do near term, I'm going to try and run a NUC with TimeZero running on it. It seems to be able to grab most things off the network and display them just fine. While not crucial it would be nice to have Timezero running the routes (at least displaying them) and have the autopilot steer based off of these. Somehow share planned routes between the two. I know a workaround would be through Navionics and then to TZ iBoat on an iPad and upload to the TZ cloud, which is fine for planning but routinely we adjust courses on long passages and the two would get out of sync rather quickly without a way to resync them.

Has anyone tried to integrate the two? Garmin system has GPSMAP 8616 and 8612s with a Reactor 40 A/P.

You should be able to have the G autopilot follow routes from TZ. You may be able to export routes to an SD card from the G and them import into TZ. But you won’t be able to have routes that are created or changed on one system automatically show on the other system. So you will need to pick one or the other for your routes

You should be able to have the G autopilot follow routes from TZ. You may be able to export routes to an SD card from the G and them import into TZ. But you won’t be able to have routes that are created or changed on one system automatically show on the other system. So you will need to pick one or the other for your routes
For the first part have the Reactor follow the TZ Routes, that would probably be preferable. I would then just use the Garmin Display for Sounder/Radar. I'll have to explore that further. As of now I'm unable to have it track anything from TZ.

You probably need to tell the AP to use nav data from TZ rather than G. I’m assuming is can be configured to do that, but I have zero direct exp with G.

You probably need to tell the AP to use nav data from TZ rather than G. I’m assuming is can be configured to do that, but I have zero direct exp with G.
Thanks @twistedtree, I figured it out and pretty much exactly that. A/P get's its data now from the N2k Network and TZ outputs navdata to NMEA2000. Beetronics screen ordered and now either keeping the Garmin 12" as a spare or i'll sell it. I feel like I can run it in this configuration for a year or two and decide whether or not to go back to Furuno.

When i purchased my boat it had Furuno TZtouch (ver 1) in the PH and FB and a Garmin in the PH. All routes and waypoints were on the Garmin, and the AP worked with the Garmin. Radar and depth sounder worked with the Furuno. The Garmin wasn't reliable so I replaced it with TimeZero running on a NUC with a 22" Beatronics monitor. It didn't talk well with the ver 1 TZtouch. It was a pain not having access on the FB to waypoints and routes. I ended up selling what I could sell and installing 2 more monitors. Now I have only one system to learn (TimeZero) and it's duplicated in the PH and FB. I can use routes and waypoints on the FB now. Only problem is there is no redundancy. Otherwise I'm very happy with the setup.

It was a GPSmap 8215, and purchased by previous owner in 2014 (same as Furuno gear). When operating the boat the Furuno would randomly go into "SOS mode", start beeping and the screen would lock. I had to reboot to get it working again. It was a toy compared to TimeZero.

It was a toy compared to TimeZero.
I am comparing 2024 products and I am sure a lot has changed since 2014. I have studied the online resources for 9" version of both the Garmin GPSMAP 943 and Furuno TZ and found them very similar in chartplotter functions. The Garmin allows engine instrumentation over N2K with virtual gauges where I did not find that feature on the Furuno platform. How exactly was the Garmin like a toy compared to the Furuno?

I just noticed my prior post said the Furuno locked up, I meant to say Garmin.

I was comparing the 10 year old Garmin to the new TimeZero software. TimeZero is very intuitive and feature packed. First, it allows me to use any hardware I care to use. I replaced a 19" Garmin and 14" Furuno with 2 22" touchscreens for a fraction of the cost of similar sized Garmins. Plus it has a lot of useful features (too many to list) like integrated weather, enunciated alarms (in words, like "anchor alarm"), automated routes, unlimited waypoints and routes, easy sorting functions, large name size limits....

I've used Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno and now TimeZero. I'll never go back to the others.

Does TimeZero let you build pages or screens of instruments to display engine and other N2K data? That's an important part of what I'm after in a Multifunction Display.

I’ve been in a similar boat with mixing Garmin and TimeZero. Running TimeZero on a NUC sounds like a solid plan. I’d suggest connecting the NUC to your NMEA 2000 network if you haven’t already—it’s a good way to share data between systems. For syncing routes, I’ve had some luck with cloud services or apps that update in real-time. Just be prepared for a bit of fiddling to keep everything in sync, especially if you’re constantly adjusting courses.

A lot of fiddling is what I'm trying to avoid. Keeping all the components within one manufacturer seems to be the best way to avoid it.

I have a verry complex Garmin system and n2k with maretron and victron systems. I am not familiar with the TZ, However the Garmin does everything you are speaking of. Full integration with the full Garmin system does everything you mentioned well. Yes you may need to learn a new system layout. But i think you will be very happy after learning it. Make sure the system is up to date . Garmin is running on ver 36. All can be done through the active captain app you can put on your phone or tablet and plan at home and easily download on the boat later. It even has auto routing . Press 2 points and it creates routes based on your specifications.

The 8600 series is still there upper end system and fully supported with Garmin.

On our first trip with the system laid how I would like at least initially.
Timezero blows Garmin out of the water quite literally in my opinion. I have an Intel NUC running TZ Navigator and use the 16" Garmin to run a radar overlay. The routes don't transfer but that's fine, reduced clutter for the garmin display. I will most like move to a full Furuno system some time down the line but right now this works. New TZ Charts are fantastic as well, updating is two mouse clicks.
If you want an all in one and no fiddle system, the Garmin is fine. For me at least once you see the capabilities of TZ there's no going back.
The newest revisions to TimeZero iBoat iOS app make it my goto app as well. I can sit and build a route with assist on my iPad and it immediately shows up in TimeZero on the NUC and vice versa. No need for Navionics at all now.

TimeZero I'm an be very simply connected to the N2000 (and/or N0183) network and use network data. My engine and fuel tank is not on the N2000 network, so I don't display that.

Can you get 2 22" and 1 17" touchscreen Garmin MFDs connected to the network for $6000?

I have been boat shopping, and noticed a lot of newer Krogens have Garmin, which doesn’t make sense to me in an ocean going yacht. It is annoying to have to immediately spend $50/100,000 to install the Furuno equipment which should have been there in the first place. A higher percentage of Nordhavns seem to have Furuno.

I wouldn't necessarily think you need to replace Garmin because your boat is a long distance trawler. I do think Furuno has a reputation for being reliable. Garmin has a big share of the market it seems. I like TimeZero for it's superior functions. But I am they guy that bought separate components for my stereo system, not the all-in-one.

The other big thing Furuno has going for it is the radar.
As I am boat shopping, I would offer a lower price which reflects the need to replace the Garmin, or find a boat which has fully depreciated electronics, or a Furuno system.
The propensity of Krogen owners to select Garmin over Furuno is another data point in Nordhavn’s favor as a blue water cruiser.

The other big thing Furuno has going for it is the radar.
As I am boat shopping, I would offer a lower price which reflects the need to replace the Garmin, or find a boat which has fully depreciated electronics, or a Furuno system.
The propensity of Krogen owners to select Garmin over Furuno is another data point in Nordhavn’s favor as a blue water cruiser.
This was definitely a consideration when we were looking between Nordhavn's and KK's. The KK we ended up with has Garmin as described above, newer electronics and installed well which at least gives us a platform to learn the boat and adjust over time before we make the leap to blue water.

This feels like a Ford vs. Chevy or Rocna vs. Mantus thing. I see lots of opinions, but very few details or facts. Since when does the presence of Furuno electronics on Nordhavn (except the N51, I see) impugn Krogen because some are fitted with Garmin? What exactly does TimeZero do that Garmin doesn’t do? I don’t have either, but I am in the market and have studied the marketing literature and YouTube reviews of both. They all do the same thing in my estimation.

This feels like a Ford vs. Chevy or Rocna vs. Mantus thing. I see lots of opinions, but very few details or facts. Since when does the presence of Furuno electronics on Nordhavn (except the N51, I see) impugn Krogen because some are fitted with Garmin? What exactly does TimeZero do that Garmin doesn’t do? I don’t have either, but I am in the market and have studied the marketing literature and YouTube reviews of both. They all do the same thing in my estimation.
You're not wrong, it is very similar. What works for you may be very different than what works for others. Ideally I would try to personally use both if you can.

Ideally I would try to personally use both if you can.
That has been far more difficult than I expected. There are few retailers that carry high end MFD equipment and have display demos available, at least here in western Lake Erie. Friends with various brands are happy to share, but their systems are all from various generations and not what is currently available.

That has been far more difficult than I expected. There are few retailers that carry high end MFD equipment and have display demos available, at least here in western Lake Erie. Friends with various brands are happy to share, but their systems are all from various generations and not what is currently available.
Yea your best bet would be to try and make it to a big trawler boat show. If you are ever out in Seattle I would be glad to show you our setup and have friends with both complete newer systems on various boats.

I have had boats with Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine, and now TimeZero. I can tell you that TimeZero is much more feature rich and intuitive, has a superior on screen manual, doesn't have as many restrictions in name character length, number of waypoints, etc., and has access to a great library of charts. It's an added bonus that my $6,000 TimeZero system would cost over $30k if it was made by Garmin.

TimeZero also has knowledgeable humans you can call to ask questions to about the software. Have you tried to call Garmin lately?

We just recently purchased a KK that has a full Garmin electronics suite. While the installation is proper and seems to be working well enough, i certainly miss Furuno and TimeZero. Before we go down the route of a full replacement, which i rather not do near term, I'm going to try and run a NUC with TimeZero running on it. It seems to be able to grab most things off the network and display them just fine. While not crucial it would be nice to have Timezero running the routes (at least displaying them) and have the autopilot steer based off of these. Somehow share planned routes between the two. I know a workaround would be through Navionics and then to TZ iBoat on an iPad and upload to the TZ cloud, which is fine for planning but routinely we adjust courses on long passages and the two would get out of sync rather quickly without a way to resync them.

Has anyone tried to integrate the two? Garmin system has GPSMAP 8616 and 8612s with a Reactor 40 A/P.
I'm considering changing from Rose Point Coastal Explorer software to TZ Navigator. We have 4 Garmin 8616's on board and I plan routes on the PC, then upload to Garmin via a SD Card. Can the same thing be done with exporting from TZ onto an SD card to input into the Garmin?

I have had boats with Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine, and now TimeZero. I can tell you that TimeZero is much more feature rich and intuitive, has a superior on screen manual, doesn't have as many restrictions in name character length, number of waypoints, etc., and has access to a great library of charts. It's an added bonus that my $6,000 TimeZero system would cost over $30k if it was made by Garmin.

TimeZero also has knowledgeable humans you can call to ask questions to about the software. Have you tried to call Garmin lately?
I've had Raymarine and Garmin equipment on the boats we've had. Currently we have a new boat with Garmin MFD's. I've always used Rose Point Coastal Explorer (started with Nobeltec prior to TZ change). Considering switching my PC routing software to TZ Navigator. However, I would plan to still export the routes and import into the Garmin devices via SD Card. Is this what you do as well with TZ?

I'm considering changing from Rose Point Coastal Explorer software to TZ Navigator. We have 4 Garmin 8616's on board and I plan routes on the PC, then upload to Garmin via a SD Card. Can the same thing be done with exporting from TZ onto an SD card to input into the Garmin?
I have not tried that but I'm headed down to boat later and I'll give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom