Gas or electric dinghy outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've owned the Torqeedo 1103 for six months (on a 10' Achilles inflatable) and are very pleased with it. We use it to shuttle us to shore while at moorings or at anchor and also sunset rides around the harbor. If your use case requires speed (>6 kts) plus long range, it's not the right choice. I'd expect the cost premium of electric will continue to narrow so time is on everyone's side.

I was looking at the Torqeedo when I found ePropulsion. I think it's a better motor, certainly looks better, but also other advantages at slightly less cost.

Long term storage of a gas OB motor (assuming no other regular use) awaiting that magic day when it is needed as a get-home seems to me a risky proposition. If I wanted an OB get-home and the boat was light enough, I'd go with a propane powered OB. For now, I am happy with Tow BoatUS as a simpler and maybe cheaper alternative in the long run.

If this is in reply to my posts, it would be dual duty for the dinghy and as a limp out of the way option if the main quits on the mothership.

Another plus for electric is when there are many smaller trips from home dock to surrounding areas, just charging the dinghy vs finding more gas could be a plus. Lake Union might be the perfect spot - can't go fast anyways, lots of public docks and places to go, and just plug in when back at the home slip.

The low end torque of an electric motor should also lend itself to higher thrust props like the T9.9s The actual weight of the motors is actually decent too:

Navy 6.0: 68lbs
Cruise 4.0: 37lbs (this is at the point that my co-pilot could carry it)
Yamaha T9.9 High Thrust 100 lbs.

Of course if it doesn't work in practice, then it becomes a bit of a moot point.

Our motorhome runs on Diesel and electricity (the roof has 1800W of Solar) -- no propane or anything else. We previously had a Diesel truck, with a trailer with a gasoline generator, and propane heat+stove. We are pretty happy to not have to run around after a trip and top off three different fuel types. Most of our around the house stuff is now electric too -- lawnmower, chainsaw, leaf blowers, hedge trimmer, and weed eater are all Greenworks 80v electric. That simplifies life as they all use the same batteries - no more 2 stroke mix, and so much maintenance no longer worried about.

This thread reeks of

Out w the old in w the new

When we bought our current boat in Newport, RI a few years ago we were running out of prep time for the long run. On the way to Rhode Island before a stop at Defender in Waterford, CT to buy a dingy I pulled up Craigslist. A guy in Clinton, CT nearby had a 4HP, two stroke Yamaha for sale. I pulled off I-95, found his house. He had about 25 outboards and pieces for maybe 25 more in his garage and in the tall grass in his backyard. "Here, you want this one, this one will run great until we're both dead and you won't care anymore." Vintage 1983. He's right, so far it's still running perfectly, I can still get parts, integrated fuel tank, nice and simple. The 1:99 oil ratio is kind of a ridiculous spec, but I just slosh in a few drops, close enough.

I figure the mothership is complicated and high maintenance enough without complicating my life with charging and limited run times and all the other stuff, just for a dingy motor. As long as I can jerk my arm on the pull cord that thing will run forever.

When we bought our current boat in Newport, RI a few years ago we were running out of prep time for the long run. On the way to Rhode Island before a stop at Defender in Waterford, CT to buy a dingy I pulled up Craigslist. A guy in Clinton, CT nearby had a 4HP, two stroke Yamaha for sale. I pulled off I-95, found his house. He had about 25 outboards and pieces for maybe 25 more in his garage and in the tall grass in his backyard. "Here, you want this one, this one will run great until we're both dead and you won't care anymore." Vintage 1983. He's right, so far it's still running perfectly, I can still get parts, integrated fuel tank, nice and simple. The 1:99 oil ratio is kind of a ridiculous spec, but I just slosh in a few drops, close enough.

I figure the mothership is complicated and high maintenance enough without complicating my life with charging and limited run times and all the other stuff, just for a dingy motor. As long as I can jerk my arm on the pull cord that thing will run forever.

Nothing against a good reliable 2-stroke. Again, this original post was about considering electric as a better option over a new small 4 stroke outboard for all the reasons stated previously.

I figure the mothership is complicated and high maintenance enough without complicating my life with charging and limited run times and all the other stuff, just for a dingy motor.

I couldn't help but reply regarding maintenance and complication. Nothing could be simpler than electric. Just requires occasionally plugging in a charger. Range is likely more than most people need for a dinghy over days of use without charging. No gas or oil to carry on board or on the dinghy. No winterization. No maintenance. Instant start. Includes reverse (not available on the smallest gas outboards w/o turning the motor 180). Lighter weight, easy to handle.

All that aside, you also enjoy perfectly clean, silent motoring, no smoke or fumes of any kind. Again, not suggesting you get rid of a perfectly good gas motor, but if looking to purchase a new motor for whatever reason, electric makes a strong case.

Last edited:
Nothing against a good reliable 2-stroke. Again, this original post was about considering electric as a better option over a new small 4 stroke outboard for all the reasons stated previously.
YES! Thanks for the course correction...I'm guilty of it as well. :hide:

USED is only a dirty word to folks selling new whatever and to the air police.

There are many used great 2 stroke dink motors to be found , light , reliable with great parts , usually in stock.

Very happy with my Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 plus. Charged the battery through the inverter today while cruising. Does a great job pushing my Trinka 10. No more gasoline on the boat and can be stored inside without issues.

Ted

Very happy with my Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 plus. Charged the battery through the inverter today while cruising. Does a great job pushing my Trinka 10. No more gasoline on the boat and can be stored inside without issues.

Ted

I have the same motor and like it a lot. Best electric on the market right now in my opinion.

I have an electric motor for my mirror dinghy. I am excited to use it. Hopefully soon. i will report back. After I circumnavigate earth...
just kidding about the last part.

Great thread!

We are planning our first tender purchase for our first cruising yacht; an OA 42 Sedan. Right in the middle of the PNW in Blaine, WA. We usually cruise with 3 people and 2 large dogs. We are all 60-ish years old. I think we would be happy with the speed of a 3hp on a tender, but this is a guess. We've just been "marina rats" with our 30 Tolly and now this boat which we've had for 6 months. My swim platform is 11'8" long and about 28" wide. For our purposes, I'm thinking of a 10.5 to 11' tender.

Part of my attraction to electric is the ability to hoist the boat onto the swimstep with simple Weaver Davits or something similar. Why bother with SeaWise with an electric motor if it can be so easily removed?

Also trying to figure out if there is more value with the Torqeedo price premium. These days I believe I'd prefer to support the German economy over Chinese.

Advice appreciated; thank you

Last edited:
Forget the Torqueedo and look at Epropulsion. Very happy with mine on my Trinka 10. It's made in Taiwan and the design and quality is exceptional!

Ted

Agree with eProp over Torqueedo. Lower cost, longer battery life, faster charge, nicer design and appearance. No contest in my opinion. Doesn't go real fast but many other advantages.

Part of my attraction to electric is the ability to hoist the boat onto the swimstep with simple Weaver Davits or something similar. Why bother with SeaWise with an electric motor if it can be so easily removed?

The only reason for the elaborate Seawise rotate-it-upright outboard mount is 4 stroke outboards. You didn't need to do that with most small 2 strokes, and for sure you don't need to do in with an electric. The electric is just as happy sideways as right side up. No reason to remove it.

I do something similar with an 11 ft inflatable (125 Lbs) resting on the swimstep and a 15 hp 2-stroke Merc on a transom mount. Both are lifted into and out of place with a $400 Garhauer Lifting Davit.

https://www.garhauermarine.com/tran...lifting-davit-engine-hoist-ld-6-1-m-long.html
ld_6-1_m_long_1.jpg

I boat in the relatively docile waters of the CA Delta and SF Bay. I would be very comfortable going outside with GGate with the dink lifted and secured in place.

I also have a Honda 2HP 4-stroke that I used to run on my old 9.5 ft dink with only 15" tubes. It's noisy but efficient and lightweight...only 27 lbs IIRC.

The Merc 15 makes the bigger and dryer $500 Costco dink much more fun, comfortable and utilitarian. I've covered more than 30 miles in the dink one day just shooting Delta Bridges.

Attachments

• dink loaded.jpg
    dink loaded.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 42
  • dink floating.jpg
    dink floating.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 45
  • dink on swimstep.jpg
    dink on swimstep.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 41
dinghy

Great thread!

We are planning our first tender purchase for our first cruising yacht; an OA 42 Sedan. Right in the middle of the PNW in Blaine, WA. We usually cruise with 3 people and 2 large dogs. We are all 60-ish years old. I think we would be happy with the speed of a 3hp on a tender, but this is a guess. We've just been "marina rats" with our 30 Tolly and now this boat which we've had for 6 months. My swim platform is 11'8" long and about 28" wide. For our purposes, I'm thinking of a 10.5 to 11' tender.

Also trying to figure out if there is more value with the Torqeedo price premium. These days I believe I'd prefer to support the German economy over Chinese.

Advice appreciated; thank you

I recommend the Walker Bay 10. It's a light, plastic lapstrake dinghy. Looks good and is indestructible. Very affordable. They also sell an inflatable collar which makes it a RIB if you want that. A Suzuki gas engine is cheap and dependable. It weighs 27.5 lbs. I don't like electric engines. Battery powered has too many issues for me. Carry a two gallon gas can and you won't be stranded.

I recommend the Walker Bay 10. It's a light, plastic lapstrake dinghy. Looks good and is indestructible. Very affordable. They also sell an inflatable collar which makes it a RIB if you want that. A Suzuki gas engine is cheap and dependable. It weighs 27.5 lbs. I don't like electric engines. Battery powered has too many issues for me. Carry a two gallon gas can and you won't be stranded.

The smallest 4-stroke Suzuki is 2.5 hp, 30lbs, very noisy. There are more problems with these tiny 4-stroke outboards than with electric. You don't have infinite range, but an electric motor is perfect for the way many of us use a dinghy.

I can't talk to Torqueedo, but I've been very happy with my ePropulsion on a 10' porta-bote. That assumes you are not using the dingy for a lot of exploration or long distances (from one side of the island to another regularly). In that case, I feel gas wins out due to lifting range restrictions.

Electric or gas

The smallest 4-stroke Suzuki is 2.5 hp, 30lbs, very noisy. There are more problems with these tiny 4-stroke outboards than with electric. You don't have infinite range, but an electric motor is perfect for the way many of us use a dinghy.

The Suzuki 2.5 is advertised at 27.5- 29 lbs. I don’t find it that loud. From Online Outboards it sells for $790 with no sales tax or shipping charge and is quite reliable. The Torqueedo is 3.0 hp, weighs 39 lbs and costs between $2500-$2900 plus tax, depending upon where you buy it. A spare battery is $700. I can buy 3-4 Suzuki’s for the price of one electric and spare battery. You can get it worked on almost anywhere. I’m just not a fan of electric but it’s personal choice. This is just my opinion, based on my personal likes and dislikes.

The Suzuki 2.5 is advertised at 27.5- 29 lbs. I don’t find it that loud. From Online Outboards it sells for $790 with no sales tax or shipping charge and is quite reliable. The Torqueedo is 3.0 hp, weighs 39 lbs and costs between $2500-$2900 plus tax, depending upon where you buy it. A spare battery is $700. I can buy 3-4 Suzuki’s for the price of one electric and spare battery. You can get it worked on almost anywhere. I’m just not a fan of electric but it’s personal choice. This is just my opinion, based on my personal likes and dislikes.

According to the Suzuki website "The Suzuki DF2.5 portable outboard is the smallest Suzuki 4-stroke to date. Weighing just 30 pounds, the DF2.5 is the lightest Suzuki 4-stroke motor ever built. "

For my eProp electric, ($2000) the motor is 23 lbs and the battery is 19 lbs. The battery is easily disconnected so I can hand the battery and then the motor from the dinghy to my wife on the boat. I see no need for a spare battery as I can get hours of runtime from a single charge and longer than the Torqeedo. As I stated earlier in this thread, there is zero maintenance, easy to store with no gas, virtually silent, has a true reverse, starts every time with no fuss. I know they are not inexpensive, but for me, the benefits outweigh the cost. Peace of mind that my wife can solo to shore and back without an issue is priceless. Matter of personal opinion like you stated, but after 2 seasons with a new but finicky 3.5 hp Merc, this is like a godsend. Read some reviews and you'll see carb problems are very common on many of these tiny motors. Deal with that a few times and I might win you over!

Last edited:
I've got zero experience or knowledge about E outboards
but
I've got many hours behind an electric fishing trolling motor without ever a snag. I'd imagine now days with much better battery tech things are pretty good.

I can totally get what your point is about them backinblue
A couple years ago, sick of dealing with hard to start small gas engined lawn equipment, I switched to an electric weed eater and hedge trimmer. Eventually my gas blower dies so I bought an ego blower...and when my walk behind mower died it was replaced with an ego mower. The lithium batteries for these things charge quick and have plenty of range. Just good in every way (except price)

I've got zero experience or knowledge about E outboards
but
I've got many hours behind an electric fishing trolling motor without ever a snag. I'd imagine now days with much better battery tech things are pretty good.

I can totally get what your point is about them backinblue
A couple years ago, sick of dealing with hard to start small gas engined lawn equipment, I switched to an electric weed eater and hedge trimmer. Eventually my gas blower dies so I bought an ego blower...and when my walk behind mower died it was replaced with an ego mower. The lithium batteries for these things charge quick and have plenty of range. Just good in every way (except price)

You are correct, all small gas engines will eventually be electric. My lawn equipment is slowly becoming electric as well. The new electric outboards are quite different than a trolling motor, self-contained and much more power. I'm not pushing the "green" agenda, just that I had such a negative experience with a brand new Merc (and later learned that it's fairly common) that I started this discussion to educate others and possibly save them from the same mistake.

I'm wondering how an electric motor survives getting dunked in salt water. Has anyone experienced this?

My little 3hp 2 stroke Merc has been dumped a couple times when landing on a surf beach. It is a PITA flushing and drying it afterwards but so far it hasn't been terminal. Would an e-motor survive?

I'm wondering how an electric motor survives getting dunked in salt water. Has anyone experienced this?

My little 3hp 2 stroke Merc has been dumped a couple times when landing on a surf beach. It is a PITA flushing and drying it afterwards but so far it hasn't been terminal. Would an e-motor survive?

The actual electric motor is in a sealed space in front of the prop so it is underwater anyway. Unique I think to eProp, is that the battery floats in case you were to drop it. I don't see how dumping the motor could do an harm. I don't know for a fact, but I would bet that I could totally submerge my motor while running and it would continue to do so.

Last edited:
I have a non-mechanical spouse. Something she can run without fear of issues is worth a lot.

The ability store the motor in a lazarette with no fear of any leakage or fumes is worth a lot.

As I age, handling 2 parts x 20 lbs is better than 1 times 30 lbs. From a swim platform, into a dingy. Worth a lot.

electric vs gas

According to the Suzuki website "The Suzuki DF2.5 portable outboard is the smallest Suzuki 4-stroke to date. Weighing just 30 pounds, the DF2.5 is the lightest Suzuki 4-stroke motor ever built. "

For my eProp electric, ($2000) the motor is 23 lbs and the battery is 19 lbs. The battery is easily disconnected so I can hand the battery and then the motor from the dinghy to my wife on the boat. I see no need for a spare battery as I can get hours of runtime from a single charge and longer than the Torqeedo. As I stated earlier in this thread, there is zero maintenance, easy to store with no gas, virtually silent, has a true reverse, starts every time with no fuss. I know they are not inexpensive, but for me, the benefits outweigh the cost. Peace of mind that my wife can solo to shore and back without an issue is priceless. Matter of personal opinion like you stated, but after 2 seasons with a new but finicky 3.5 hp Merc, this is like a godsend. Read some reviews and you'll see carb problems are very common on many of these tiny motors. Deal with that a few times and I might win you over!

There are different models of electric but all are quite expensive and heavy. Based on your dismounting SOP, I highly recommend a spare battery because
just at the moment you are handing the wife your battery, some jerk will blow through the anchorage on a jet ski, kick up a wake and the battery goes in the drink.
When I read that your experience was with a Merc, I now understand. Merc, Evinrude & Johnson are the worst products on the market, IMO. I have a Tohatsu kicker on my 22' C Dory. It's 12 years old and starts and runs like a champ. There are multiple ads for the Suzuki 2.5 that advertise between 27.5 lbs and 30 lbs in the specifications. I haven't weighed mine but it's very light. If it gets too heavy, I'll install a davit.
I understand your reasons for liking the electric version but for me, a good 4 stroke Asian made gas engine is the answer.
Good discussion. Merry Christmas!

There are different models of electric but all are quite expensive and heavy. Based on your dismounting SOP, I highly recommend a spare battery because
just at the moment you are handing the wife your battery, some jerk will blow through the anchorage on a jet ski, kick up a wake and the battery goes in the drink.
When I read that your experience was with a Merc, I now understand. Merc, Evinrude & Johnson are the worst products on the market, IMO. I have a Tohatsu kicker on my 22' C Dory. It's 12 years old and starts and runs like a champ. There are multiple ads for the Suzuki 2.5 that advertise between 27.5 lbs and 30 lbs in the specifications. I haven't weighed mine but it's very light. If it gets too heavy, I'll install a davit.
I understand your reasons for liking the electric version but for me, a good 4 stroke Asian made gas engine is the answer.
Good discussion. Merry Christmas!

Thanks Bryant. Just a couple more clarifying points....
To my knowledge, Merc is built by Tohatsu and may be identical except for branding. But I agree with you, the small 4-stroke Mercs are prone to problems for whatever reason. Overall, my electric is heavier than 30lbs, but the motor and battery are 2 separate pieces that are each much lighter and easy to handle. Regarding dropping the battery, it floats! Not sure that is true with the Torqueedo. Merry Christmas to you as well!

Back
Top Bottom