GB36CT - Leaking Water Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiker519

Vessel Name
Signal V
Vessel Make
1981 Grand Banks 36' Classic Trawler
1981 Grand Banks 36 Classic Trawler w/ original aluminum fresh water tanks. There are two tanks by the transom and one has started leaking. Spoke to the yard service manager who gave me a rough quote of $15K-20K to replace and a week's labor.
Quick check of google found ready made plastic tanks in sizes close to the original ones.
Can someone give me their personal experience with this problem and a more reasonable ($) repair.
Thanks, Jay

Mine cost $5k but that was in 2016. In the 36CL, it’s a PITA & it’s a lot of labor. You have to cut up one tank in order to remove the other from the lazarette. Steering gear must be disassembled. Replacement tanks have to be slightly smaller and often have to make mock ups in order to determine what size you can get back in that space. Replace the bilge pump hose while you have good access.

Good morning hiker.
I just removed the port water tank that was leaking. It was stainless. Went through 12 Sawzall blades and 5 grinding discs. Looking to replace with Ronco Plastics 60 gal tank. Collecting cardboard to make mock up to insure I can get tank in lazerette to install. I have posted pics in this forum. Also replacing wet exhaust hose and repairing top of rudder post/table. Lag screws decintgrating and wood rotting.
1979 GB 36 #599.

Agree it will end up more work than you might expect. Things like rotten platform, etc. But it isn’t rocket science, just some maybe difficult manual labor. I would DIY it if you have any skills in working with tools. Cut up ne tank. If they are aluminum they will cut up easily. Remove the second tank. Check the area for any rot and repair as necessary. Clean up the lazarette and paint it. Install the new tanks. I would absolutely go with a Ronco tank. Figure out what fittings you will need and where and they will install them in the tank for you.

1981 Grand Banks 36 Classic Trawler w/ original aluminum fresh water tanks. There are two tanks by the transom and one has started leaking. Spoke to the yard service manager who gave me a rough quote of $15K-20K to replace and a week's labor.
Quick check of google found ready made plastic tanks in sizes close to the original ones.
Can someone give me their personal experience with this problem and a more reasonable ($) repair.
Thanks, Jay

Hi Jay. Based on my personal experience with each of my last three boats, all of which required either water or fuel tank replacement(s), your local yard quote of ~$20K (including the tanks), for a turn-key replacement with OEM-volume water tanks, is not unreasonable. While you can save considerable money if you do it yourself, this is not a simple job. You will likely encounter other items (rudder shelf(s), exhaust hoses, rot, water lines, paint, etc.) to R&R in the lazarette after you've reefed out the original tanks, as will the boatyard. Plan to spend additional time and money to remedy these issues as well, as there'll never be a better time to do so.

Much of the yard cost (and yours, should you chose to DIY) is hard, dirty work in a cramped location. And absolutely do BOTH tanks, as if one's failed, the second is on it's way. While Ronco roto-moulded plastic tanks are a viable replacement option, be aware that compromises in capacity will likely occur, as only custom welded metallic tanks can optimize the available volume and installation compromises. Furthermore, use of welded 316L stainless tanks from a respected marine tank manufacturer (or plastic, if you can stand the volume compromises) versus the OEM aluminum is HIGHLY desired. Joe Schmo the welder down the street is NOT your friend here, as choices of manufacturing method, material, wall thickness, baffling, welding techniques, testing, etc. are not things that should be compromised after going through the labor of removing, refitting the lazarette, and reinstalling your tanks.

Rocket science it's not. Standard marine engineering it is. Which doesn't come easy or cheaply. Personally, I prefer more water tank volume to less, and rest easier knowing mine are constructed of food-grade 316L stainless steel, properly resting, bedded, and secured.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks, Jay

If you go to this thread and post #23 you will see water tanks that have been replaced in the last 5 or 10 years. (1984 GB 36 Classic) Same boat as yours. The company name and phone number is there. Call them and get a quote for the tanks. That will give you the price for material. Now you have some solid information as opposed to opinions. Let us know what they give you for a price on the 3 tanks. If you need any other info from me just pm me.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/1973-36-gb-water-tank-removal-67665-2.html

Back
Top Bottom