Grand Banks history: John Newton, Larry Drake & Bob Dorris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi! My dad is John Newton, the founder of Grand Banks. He is 93y young and we (I am his sixth of six children) are writing a book about the beginnings of the Grand Banks story. We want to cover a lot of territory. So ... do you have specific questions about American Marine / Grand Banks from 1958-1975? We would love to answer as many questions in the book as we can, so fire away. Also, we would love to track down some of dad's favorite marine architects or biographical info of same, specifically Larry Drake and Robert S. Dorris.

Hi! My dad is John Newton, the founder of Grand Banks. He is 93y young and we (I am his sixth of six children) are writing a book about the beginnings of the Grand Banks story. We want to cover a lot of territory. So ... do you have specific questions about American Marine / Grand Banks from 1958-1975? We would love to answer as many questions in the book as we can, so fire away. Also, we would love to track down some of dad's favorite marine architects or biographical info of same, specifically Larry Drake and Robert S. Dorris.
Sara,

It was nice to speak with you today. I spoke with Donna and she is going to have Chuck call you and your dad probably later today.

I was not aware Larry Drake was involved with Grand Banks. I am aware of some of his designs and met him in the 1990's. We enjoyed some good conversations and I learned some stuff from him. In the 1960's I was asked to watch a newly launched 65' sport fisher named "Yelad" while the owners went out for dinner. Quite an honor for a 16-year-old. On another note, my father ordered a GB-32. I think it would have been about 1967 but not sure. It was one of the wood boats and I remember the smell of varnish and teak. We went up to Long Beach to see the boat unloaded from a ship. Did Larry Drake design the Alaskan? I know Art DeFever did the boats in the 1990's but what about the wood boats in the '60's? Will look forward to the book!

I was not aware Larry Drake was involved with Grand Banks. I am aware of some of his designs and met him in the 1990's. We enjoyed some good conversations and I learned some stuff from him. In the 1960's I was asked to watch a newly launched 65' sport fisher named "Yelad" while the owners went out for dinner. Quite an honor for a 16-year-old. On another note, my father ordered a GB-32. I think it would have been about 1967 but not sure. It was one of the wood boats and I remember the smell of varnish and teak. We went up to Long Beach to see the boat unloaded from a ship. Did Larry Drake design the Alaskan? I know Art DeFever did the boats in the 1990's but what about the wood boats in the '60's? Will look forward to the book!
Mark, thanks for the reply! No, Larry Drake wasn't involved with the GBs or American Marine. But in 1976, when my dad started making the Amapala sportfisherman in Central America, Drake was the designer. Do you have any biographical data on him? When he passed, maybe, or the town he lived in? He was a very talented designer that doesn't get enough credit. Bob Dorris designed the Alaskan. In the mid-80s Tony Fleming and Anton Emmerton hired Drake to design the first Fleming yacht.

Mark, thanks for the reply! No, Larry Drake wasn't involved with the GBs or American Marine. But in 1976, when my dad started making the Amapala sportfisherman in Central America, Drake was the designer. Do you have any biographical data on him? When he passed, maybe, or the town he lived in? He was a very talented designer that doesn't get enough credit. Bob Dorris designed the Alaskan. In the mid-80s Tony Fleming and Anton Emmerton hired Drake to design the first Fleming yacht.
Sorry that I don't have much information on Larry Drake. We weren't friends really, I met him at a real estate training program as apparently he also had a real estate license. I visited him a couple of times in his office on Shelter Island, San Diego and we chatted about boats. As I travel around on the water I still occasionally see an older boat that has the distinctive window treatment of a Drake design, that being a low-trunk cabin with a line of low, long windows of the same size. I recall he was a gentle, pleasant man. I wish I could offer more information.

Back
Top Bottom