Greenline 39: General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless I'm very mistaken, Greenline still uses the Volvo 2.5L 5-cyl. turbodiesels, outputting up to 240HP. These since '15, when they replaced the VW 5-cyl 2.5L TDi of 165HP - basically the same block, but the Volvo has 4 valves/cyl rather than the "normal" 2, and a more powerful turbo. Also, the reliability of the Volvo inline hybrid implementation is much improved with a different clutch design.

Pete
Greenline used a Volvo-Penta D3 220 for many years. They are just now swapping them in new builds for a Yanmar 250 because Volvo is sunsetting the D3 line. We have the D3 220 in our 2019 GL39. It will require some additional engineering if you ever have to repower since new D3s will not be available at some point.

GL39 dinghy option

A few questions for the 39' owners. We are family of 4 with kids 9 and 10. We are wondering if we could just squeeze into a 39 and if the kids don't want to sleep together, we can use the salon table. We would like to be able to go all over Puget Sound including up as far as Desolation Sound, and certainly all over the islands.

Two things give me pause about the '39.

1. Dinghy. Other boats we are looking at can manage a 3.5M dinghy just fine on davits, and this would be easily big enough for our family and a couple of small dogs. What kind of dinghy solutions have you all used? Is there a reasonable davit solution, or a great inflatable option that stows somewhere handy?

2. Holding tank capacity. 20g doesn't feel like a lot for a family of four. Has anyone upgraded theirs?

Thanks for your advice,
-Tim

Here is the dinghy davit system we use for our GL39. It works well and the arms are easily removed when not in use. It is available online from Defender. I had custom backing plates made as well. You can get the schematics from the manufacturer. It is rated at 500 lbs. We only use an inflatable with a torqeedo electric outboard which is probably around 150lbs. We usually stow the engine instead of leaving it on the inflatable.

I agree the holding tank is on the small side. There is a factory option for more capacity but it would need to be a second tank in a different location. I would check where they locate it.

Hope that helps!

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 22
How was Greenline in covering the warranty on your boat?
My thinking was to buy a boat about two years old that may have owner upgrades that has some depreciation.
Thank you again for your advice. It is greatly appreciated

Not a bad strategy. As for my warranty experience, I had none. No issues occurred until, of course, after my warranty period expired.
I have not heard about what others may have experienced resolving warranty issues. Maybe they will comment in this thread...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom