Helmsman Support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amxr39

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Allegro
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E Hull #61
I have had my 38E Pilot House for about 3 months now. I’m hull 61. I have, what I’ve been told by Helmsmsn are typical problems. I fully understand that there will be problems with a complex system like a boat. I’m not going to go in to detains at this time.
I’m just curious about the warranty response you have been getting from Helmsman.
I’m on the East Coast, so I’d like to hear honest answers from the East Coast gang. Then, I’ll report my experiences.
Thank you.

Rating 10 on a 10 point scale.

Including support on gear that is not their responsibility.

I don't have one, but I've heard nothing but good reports from several Helmsman owners about Scott and his team. What problems are you having?

I haven’t posted on TF for the past year, but I have been checking in periodically to see what everyone is up to. This post caught my attention, so I wanted to comment.

We have a Helmsman 43 / Hull #4 and took delivery over 7 years ago.

I run the boat weekly, 52 weeks per year, and we spend a considerable amount of our time offshore at the Channel Islands where we are unplugged for several weeks at a time. Our boating is not in protected waters and it has seen a lot of pounding and structurally she has held up amazing well. The single Cummins is a fuel efficient, reliable power plant. The rest of the systems (Domestic, Water, Fuel, etc) have all held up very well.

We chartered a 2022 Trawler this past Spring in the PNW and travelled from Bellingham to P Louisa (BC) over a 10 day period and the experience reminded us how much we like our boat. This is my honest take on how we feel, but that’s enough cheer leading from me. There are some great boats out there (AT, NT, and of course the venerable Nordhavn, KK, and others). As boat owners we all develop an affection towards our boats in appreciation of the adventures they have afforded us.

The original post is soliciting comments from people on the East Coast regarding Helmsman’s service. I am on the West Coast, but 1,300 miles away from their home office in WA. Here is my experience regarding service:

-The Helmsman team has supported me from day one.

-During the commission process, Scott spent all of the time I needed to familiarize myself with the boats systems. They are fairly simple boats system wise, so it didn’t take very long.

-When I needed service on some routine items during the teething period, they fixed them.

-I communicate with a few other H owners of various vintages and they have the same feelings I am expressing above.

-Fast forward to now, the majority of the parts can be sourced in North America and on the rare occasion when I need a one off, Helmsman had it shipped to me. I banged up my water level trim on a rough docking this year and the new piece is hitch hiking over on the new H46 and then they will ship it down to me.

Hope everyone has been well and enjoying their time on the water.

Fletcher.

Attachments

• DJI_0014.JPG
    DJI_0014.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 7
Fletcher, your post is greatly appreciated. Our Helmsman, a 38E-hull 40, was a pleasure to own and operate cruising year round in the PNW. We had the best after sale service from Helmsman and experienced no major mechanical issues during our cruising, including a trip to SE Alaska. I'm eagerly awaiting my H46, due this month in Seattle, with I guess, your replacement trim, which I'm sure, Helmsman will send it to you promptly.

Fletcher, your post is greatly appreciated. Our Helmsman, a 38E-hull 40, was a pleasure to own and operate cruising year round in the PNW. We had the best after sale service from Helmsman and experienced no major mechanical issues during our cruising, including a trip to SE Alaska. I'm eagerly awaiting my H46, due this month in Seattle, with I guess, your replacement trim, which I'm sure, Helmsman will send it to you promptly.
That's awesome! Your 46 isn't even here yet and it's already done a delivery mission!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom