Help with my Trawler search.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubancrisis

Vessel Name
Malecón
Vessel Make
Amel 50
Looking to buy a Trawler and would like to see as many as possible. I've signed up for the PM Trawlerfest in Baltimore, September 2024. Been reading threads on this forum and thinking it may be a waste of time. I want to maximize my time seeing as many Trawlers as possible. I want to talk to experts in the field and see as many brands as possible. My virtual search is leading me to a Nordhavn 55 or something equivalent. Have never stepped foot on a Trawler. I'm coming from the sailing world so I have some learning to do. Is the Miami boat show the way to go? I've not been able to find a list of boats or brands that will be at the Baltimore show. It's my hope the threads I've read here with regards to the Baltimore show in particular are old and no longer the case. It would be a shame if the show is a bust for me. I'm working on developing a relationship with a broker but haven't found anyone yet who is engaging enough to earn my business.

When I read, "Been reading threads on this forum and thinking it may be a waste of time," I thought, OK, we try here. Are we failing you?

Unfortunately, TrawlerFests are not the same as in days of old. Ask for the list of trawlers that will be on display. That list might not be worth the trip, but the camaraderie might be and perhaps you can get something out of some of the classes.

Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show is in November. MBS is February. Also, not what it used to be, especially for trawlers. The slips are so craaazy expensive, that most boats on display are in the $zillion price range. Having said that, Ft. Lauderdale is the boating capital of the world and a trip anytime to the area will provide lots of reasonable boats for you to inspect.

When I read, "Been reading threads on this forum and thinking it may be a waste of time," I thought, OK, we try here. Are we failing you?
I assumed he meant that TF might be a waste of time, TF as in TrawlerFest, not TrawlerForum.

We used to go to the Trawler Fests back when Bill Partalore still ran PMM. Sine then they have deteriorated significantly IMO.

We used to go to the Trawler Fests back when Bill Partalore still ran PMM. Sine then they have deteriorated significantly IMO.
The PMM "new" owners subsequently weren't Bill et all, but TF was still worth going to. I was so disappointed in a few consecutive TFs, that I quit going (I used to fly to Baltimore and Anacortes for TF). Then I gave it another shot and went to TF in Stuart last year. It took me all of about 20 minutes to walk the docks before I left.

Jeff Merrill (JMYS Broker) has a fairly active YouTube channel. He does a summary of TrawlerFests. Not an endorsement but gives some idea of what to expect and you can decide if it meets your needs. Baltimore TrawlerFest video from last year looks a bit lean. @Nick F almost new Helmsman 38 will be there and for sale.

Anacortes TrawlerFest (April 2024 - probably the largest most 'trawler' of the TFs)

Stuart FL (Mar 2024 - skip to 30:00 mark to get to the docks).

Baltimore MD 2023.

Good luck with your venture.

Peter

Can't speak to Baltimore Trawler fest but many boat shows publish a list of (used) boats that will be there, that is fairly accurate and complete around 2 weeks or so before the event. Relatively few new boats appear because they are sold long in advance (unless the owners are nice/unconcerned enough to lend them to be shown).

If you're just starting to learn about trawlers, I'd say go to any of the large outdoor shows that are convenient for you. After a couple of them, you'll narrow down your preferences and then could consider tracking down specific boats at specific shows. Also will figure out which brokers you tend to like (and dislike) after talking with them and seeing their offerings.

Looking to buy a Trawler and would like to see as many as possible. I've signed up for the PM Trawlerfest in Baltimore, September 2024. Been reading threads on this forum and thinking it may be a waste of time. I want to maximize my time seeing as many Trawlers as possible. I want to talk to experts in the field and see as many brands as possible. My virtual search is leading me to a Nordhavn 55 or something equivalent. Have never stepped foot on a Trawler. I'm coming from the sailing world so I have some learning to do. Is the Miami boat show the way to go? I've not been able to find a list of boats or brands that will be at the Baltimore show. It's my hope the threads I've read here with regards to the Baltimore show in particular are old and no longer the case. It would be a shame if the show is a bust for me. I'm working on developing a relationship with a broker but haven't found anyone yet who is engaging enough to earn my business.
If you are seriously considering boats in that market or not sure what will suit you best, I highly recommend Zimmerman’s Yacht Purchase Service. They will help you focus on the boats best suited to you, save you a lot of time and cost you nothing. They only work as buyers brokers.

No. I read a few posts which stated Trawler fest Baltimore might be a waste of time. I’m grateful for all the knowledge this forum brings together.

When starting from scratch, I do recommend going to a trawlerfest. Does not matter which, the seminars are largely similar. The boats on show are lean, but so is the market. The seminars give you a lot of information that is general, but it is where you should start. The perpetural questions of single vs. twin engines, displacement or semi-displacement hull and why, insurance (hard to get and you need experience or training), financing, etc. You get to talk to others about their choices to the issues noted abve. There will be plenty of time to look at boats later on. The seminars will lay a foundtation allowing you to narrow your search to styles and models of boats.

For a broker for a buyer, I recommend Zimmerman (see Flatswing above) service. Steve Zimmerman owned a number of yards in the Chesapeake region now bearing his name, and his agents all worked for him in these yards. They know trawlers, they know the business, they own trawlers, they cruise. Does not cost to use them as they split commissions with the seller's broker. You have to be serious, however, and lay out some money initially. This is put in an account for their travels to/from your boat and its inspections. If not used, you will get it back when you make your purchase. They will look for and at boats before you do or simultaneoulsy, and will advise whether to proceede further. They know and have contacts with banks and insurance agents. They will not do anything without consuting you and getting your permission/approval. Their "base" is Chesapeake Bay, but their agents live elsewhere. I used them, and the agent was in Bar Harbor, Maine. I purchased my boat in CT, and I paid my agent's gas, meals and motel to inspect the boat with me and again to be there for the survey. They have reps at the trawlerfests so you can talk to them before signing up, and Steve Zimmerman usually gives one of the seminars. The Zimmerman service warranties its work. Jeff Merrill has a large business doing the same sorts of sevices. For years he was with Nordhavn. He is centered on west coast, but he sells boats on the east coast as well.

A good local broker can do much of the same as I have described above, but he or she realistically cannot be expected to fly or drive several hundred miles to inspect a boat for a client without some reimbursement of expenses.

Last edited:
At trawler fest you will usually see only 3-4 trawlers for sale, a tiny fraction of the entire market.

A virtual look on Yachtworls or Boattrader will yield many more possibilities.

BTW, I hate Yachtworld for its archaic way of entering search criteria and Boattrader has limited abilities to narrow your search. But AFAIK, there is nothing better.

Oh, well!!!

David

One option is to do a mini boat shopping vacation to the Pacific Northwest. There are usually a number of trawlers on the market in the Seattle area and also in Anacortes which is about 2 hours north of Seattle. At the moment you can find a selection of Nordhavns, Selenes and Flemings. And if you are zeroing in on a particular style there are a couple charter companies that have trawlers in their fleets if you want to go for a week to validate your thinking.

100% agree with getting on boats, videos can only get you so far. Sometimes you just need to go sit on a boat to understand "how if feels" and discover simple things like if I am sitting in the salon can I see the water out the windows.

Good luck with your search!

Was at Baltimore Trawlerfest last year. There were 3 or 4 manufacturers displaying a representative model w/ the new owner aboard. Helpful to chat w/ the owners. Selection is limited otherwise. Not like boats at the Annapolis Sailboat Show.

I second Zimmerman's YPS program. Bought our DeFever using them, quite helpful and came a with warranty, plus a yard credit. Both of which we used.

Your sure fire way is both w/ something like Zimmerman's and this forum. Helpful as we went through a multi-year journey of trying to find the right boat.

Good luck.....

Give Curtis Stokes a call in Ft. Lauderdale. He will listen to your ideas and guide you until you find the boat that you need and want.

Reactions: TJM
Last year at the Baltimore TF there was only 1 boat in the Nordhavn 55 realm, a Selene 53.

I would recommend contacting a broker (I used Jeff Merrill) and have them arrange visits aboard different boats. Jeff works hard, he's ethical, not tied to any one brand, has a lot of industry experience, and has a lot of back room connections to people that will be selling their boats but not on the market yet.

Curtis Stokes will show you "looper trawlers" all day, but not many Nordhavns or Selenes.

The advice to talk to Zimmerman is good; unlike most brokers, you would be paying them, not the selling broker, but from what I know you will probably find it well worthwhile.
Meanwhile, if you go to the Trawlerfest website they have a list of boats that will be exhibited, which this year have a few in the range you are looking: no Nordhavns, but a couple of Selene's, a Fleming and an Offshore.
You should call them before going, though, because I have found that all the boats they list sometimes don't show up. I found the overall quality of the show fell off when the ownership changed, and haven't been for 4 or 5 years.
If you really know that you want a Nordhavn, you can contact them direct in Dana Point; they are friendly and helpful, and probably the most knowledgeable about the boats that are available and where they are.
Good luck!
Peter

Sent you a message through conversations.
Hope you do make it to Trawlerfest and we get the opportunity to meet.

Last year at the Baltimore TF there was only 1 boat in the Nordhavn 55 realm, a Selene 53.

I would recommend contacting a broker (I used Jeff Merrill) and have them arrange visits aboard different boats. Jeff works hard, he's ethical, not tied to any one brand, has a lot of industry experience, and has a lot of back room connections to people that will be selling their boats but not on the market yet.

Curtis Stokes will show you "looper trawlers" all day, but not many Nordhavns or Selenes.
My personal experience is that Curtis Stokes will show any boat in any continent that you are interested in:)
If you have an unlimited budget the world is your oyster. If you are looking for a 55 foot Nordhavn and your budget is less than $900,000.00 you are wasting your time.
Unless you are going to self insure, and accept personal liability, and/or want a boat that is 55 plus in length or longer, you will need to have a long history of experience handling a big boat, or have the money to afford to pay for a professional capit

My personal experience is that Curtis Stokes will show any boat in any continent that you are interested in:)
If you have an unlimited budget the world is your oyster. If you are looking for a 55 foot Nordhavn and your budget is less than $900,000.00 you are wasting your time.
Unless you are going to self insure, and accept personal liability, and/or want a boat that is 55 plus in length or longer, you will need to have a long history of experience handling a big boat, or have the money to afford to pay for a professional capit
Very good points. I'm not sure what my plans would be if my budget was "unlimited". But, like most humans I've constraints. Having said this yes, I've budgeted quite a bit north of the number you quoted and have an "ample" amount budgeted monthly for maintenance. Your point about insurance does bring me concern. I'm not sure what a "long" history of sailing means or if I fit that mold. Self insuring such a valuable asset seems a bit irresponsible. I currently have insurance for my Amel 50 which is in Europe, don't know if a Power boat of similar size is more difficult to insure.

As a trawler owner and commercial fisherman, I recommend determining a few things before settling on a make or model. I would make a list of my requirements. Determine a size range, including vessel length, weight, and range. One engine or two? Condition, new, used, or in need of complete refit. Price range. Last but not least is to consider the vessel’s location. Do you want to run the perfect vessel from one side of the country through Panama Canal to bring it home? Does paying $50,000 to $80,000 to put it on a vessel transport ship to get it home work for you. Once you have these answers you can focus your search. Consider things such as do you want walk around decks or full width house, a cockpit or flush deck, etc. Many things can be added or modified, but focus on the features that either can’t or are cost prohibitive to alter. You should then be able to form a relatively short list of vessels to consider. I have a Hatteras 65 Long Range Cruiser. I fish a 52’ Little Hoquiam Seamaster. Both very heavy, both long range, but very different to operate. Have fun looking
G. Doc Dueber

We are in a similar situation, with retirement looming, we're looking. We're flying up to Baltimore to trawlerfest look at boats. I did notice they've posted a list of boats that will be there, some of which we are interested in. I don't think I saw any Nordhavn's on the list, which was a bit of a disappointment. Looking for a boat that's not mainstream seems to be a bit of a scavenger hunt. If you end up going, maybe we can meet up and compare notes.

Training Capitan.
Very good points. I'm not sure what my plans would be if my budget was "unlimited". But, like most humans I've constraints. Having said this yes, I've budgeted quite a bit north of the number you quoted and have an "ample" amount budgeted monthly for maintenance. Your point about insurance does bring me concern. I'm not sure what a "long" history of sailing means or if I fit that mold. Self insuring such a valuable asset seems a bit irresponsible. I currently have insurance for my Amel 50 which is in Europe, don't know if a Power boat of similar size is more difficult to insure.
sorry if I sound negative. If you are in the $1.5 US and up you can surely find a nice trawler. The insurance issue in the US can be a major issue.
Being an experienced sailor will help you in several ways:
Determine how you are going to use your boat:
1. Are you planning on long term cruising or just occasional voyages?
2. Do you want a planing "fast" trawler that comes with higher fuel burn; or are you ok with sail boat speed?
3. Are you planning on Blue water cruising in Oceans and large bodies of water or are you more of a coastal in land waterway boater?
4. Are you mechanically inclined to maintain your engines, generators, air conditioners and electrical systems?
5. Do you like a project boat that you can recondition and bring up to standards or do you want a nice new shine boat... that you will find you need to bring up to your standards?
6. It goes without saying that any boat you are seriously considering making an offer on needs a complete survey.
A hull and structural and a mechanical survey and electronics survey.
7. As most boaters know: wood rots, Aluminum pits, steel rusts and fiberglass blisters:)
8. You also need to think about where your boat will be : on a mooring ball; in a slip in a Marina; at anchor; or stored on the hard. Anchoring out has become more restrictive and marinas continue to be more expensive every year.
9. Good luck and enjoy your quest to find that vessel you are looking for.

Reactions: TJM
As a trawler owner and commercial fisherman, I recommend determining a few things before settling on a make or model. I would make a list of my requirements. Determine a size range, including vessel length, weight, and range. One engine or two? Condition, new, used, or in need of complete refit. Price range. Last but not least is to consider the vessel’s location. Do you want to run the perfect vessel from one side of the country through Panama Canal to bring it home? Does paying $50,000 to $80,000 to put it on a vessel transport ship to get it home work for you. Once you have these answers you can focus your search. Consider things such as do you want walk around decks or full width house, a cockpit or flush deck, etc. Many things can be added or modified, but focus on the features that either can’t or are cost prohibitive to alter. You should then be able to form a relatively short list of vessels to consider. I have a Hatteras 65 Long Range Cruiser. I fish a 52’ Little Hoquiam Seamaster. Both very heavy, both long range, but very different to operate. Have fun looking
G. Doc Dueber
Thanks for the input, Doc. As far as size range I think 55’ is something I can handle short handed. 60’ and above may be a bit of a reach for me and may require too much crew. I also want a boat with enough size to cross oceans or tread through rough waters. Sail boats are my only blue water experience so I’ve no idea what “heavy weather” is to a Trawler. I personally have zero problem casting the lines knowing I’ll be seeing 30+ knot winds. Location of the vessel is not an issue at all. If it’s located in the pacific NW then I will take delivery and head to Alaska for a few seasons. Then, head south to the Panama Canal. If it’s in FLA or the east coast then I’ll head to the Bahamas and the Caribbean, then to the Panama Canal. Or maybe cross back to the canaries. So, I will not be putting the boat on a transport. Full walk around? I still haven’t see these boats in the flesh so I have to figure that out. Some of the Nordhavns I’ve looked at with only starboard side access benefit from the increased interior volume. Looks good in the videos.

Being you somewhat qualified the type of boat and level of investment with the Nordhaven 55, I would recommend that you take a serious look at the Helmsman Trawler company.

I spoke with the owner(s), (husband and wife), while looking over their boats at the last Trawler Fest in Stuart earlier this year. Loved the quality of the build (very high), and their willingness of the company to satisfy a buyer.

The 46' model is currently their biggest but have a 52' in production as I understand it.

Was also very surprised with the value as a brand new 46' was in the range of $950k-$1.1 depending on options. Extremely good value compared to other Trawler brands.

If you would rather buy used, there are usually a couple for sale. Great boat!

When I downsize from my 60' yacht as I age, I will most likely seriously look at building a new Helmsman.

Daniel Kiefer
M/V: Miss Ann

Being you somewhat qualified the type of boat and level of investment with the Nordhaven 55, I would recommend that you take a serious look at the Helmsman Trawler company.

I spoke with the owner(s), (husband and wife), while looking over their boats at the last Trawler Fest in Stuart earlier this year. Loved the quality of the build (very high), and their willingness of the company to satisfy a buyer.

The 46' model is currently their biggest but have a 52' in production as I understand it.

Was also very surprised with the value as a brand new 46' was in the range of $950k-$1.1 depending on options. Extremely good value compared to other Trawler brands.

If you would rather buy used, there are usually a couple for sale. Great boat!

When I downsize from my 60' yacht as I age, I will most likely seriously look at building a new Helmsman.

Daniel Kiefer
M/V: Miss Ann

TravelFest is NOT waste of time. You learn a lot there and meet the right people to mingle with. Yes, they show most of new and expensive ones but walk them you can get other type of boats and narrow down what you want. I did 2 already and going to Baltimore again A lot of great classes. For finding the boat when you know which one you want, year, how much you can afford is probably not the best place. I am looking too. It is not easy.

Training Capitan.

sorry if I sound negative. If you are in the $1.5 US and up you can surely find a nice trawler. The insurance issue in the US can be a major issue.
Being an experienced sailor will help you in several ways:
Determine how you are going to use your boat:
1. Are you planning on long term cruising or just occasional voyages?
2. Do you want a planing "fast" trawler that comes with higher fuel burn; or are you ok with sail boat speed?
3. Are you planning on Blue water cruising in Oceans and large bodies of water or are you more of a coastal in land waterway boater?
4. Are you mechanically inclined to maintain your engines, generators, air conditioners and electrical systems?
5. Do you like a project boat that you can recondition and bring up to standards or do you want a nice new shine boat... that you will find you need to bring up to your standards?
6. It goes without saying that any boat you are seriously considering making an offer on needs a complete survey.
A hull and structural and a mechanical survey and electronics survey.
7. As most boaters know: wood rots, Aluminum pits, steel rusts and fiberglass blisters:)
8. You also need to think about where your boat will be : on a mooring ball; in a slip in a Marina; at anchor; or stored on the hard. Anchoring out has become more restrictive and marinas continue to be more expensive every year.
9. Good luck and enjoy your quest to find that vessel you are looking for.
Thank you for this list. I've been building it and it did help me to narrow down on type of trawler. Now I am looking on price and availability.

I have been to several TrawlerFests in both Florida and Maryland over the years. Outside of overpriced and overcrowded seminars, it's pretty much a waste of time and money, IMHO. Way back when, they were good venues but not now. Very few boats to look at.

Back
Top Bottom