Help with Norcold DE0061 refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DWJensen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
Heritage East 36 Sundeck
Looking for a bit of help / advice (or even suggestions for a service person in my area).

Our Norcold DE0061 fridge freezer has a perplexing problem: It freezes and cools nicely, most of the time. The freezer chills to zero F and the fridge down to 40 (during FL summer with ambient temps in the 90's). Thing is, it'll stay cold like that for a few hours and then the freezer thaws and the fridge warms up to 50 or higher and it'll refreeze and cool again. Initially we though that we must not have closed the freezer door completely and that's why we had thawed food, nope - It continued to happen. Then checked door seals using the dollar bill test and they seem good all the way around. Tried running on DC and shore power and it still does it on both power sources.

I did a search here and read several threads referencing thermostat and fan issues, but didn't see anything with the same symptoms we're experiencing. Any suggestions as to where to start?

For reference, it's a Norcold DE0061, serial number 15759978

Would also appreciate any references for a repair person in SWFL - Englewood / Placida / Port Charlotte area.

Thanks.

I'd suspect either a sticky thermostat or a flaky control module. The refrigeration bits are likely fine, being that it cools fine when it's working.

I actually have the same fridge with the same problem. It cools great and keeps 5-10 deg (F) in the freezer and 35 in the fridge no problem at all. Sometimes for days, then it seems to just stay on and not really cool - slowly getting warmer inside. As if the compressor is running but not cooling. I find that if I switch off all power for 10 minutes, then turn back on (without touching the thermostat) it usually immediately starts to work properly again... till the next time.

I'm wondering if its overheating. During this off season, I'm going to pull it out and see if the fan is working and the coils clean.

Ken

It could be overheating. Add a vent high and low. Then put in a low draw fan blowing air in at the bottom or out at the top depending on where you can fit the fan. I use a 5” 50 mAmp fan and it is dead quiet. It moves enough air to make a huge difference in the operation of the refer. This is the one I have used on 2 boats. Got it on Amazon.

Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown)

It could be overheating. Add a vent high and low. Then put in a low draw fan blowing air in at the bottom or out at the top depending on where you can fit the fan. I use a 5” 50 mAmp fan and it is dead quiet. It moves enough air to make a huge difference in the operation of the refer. This is the one I have used on 2 boats. Got it on Amazon.

Thanks, that's a good recommendation. I think it has to be something like that. The cabinet is well vented top and bottom but the fridge has been in there since 2016. The fan that is supposed to be in there may not be working or there could be an accumulation of dust on the coils.

Ken

They are notorious for compressor over heating. This trips the internal thermo and shuts it down. After a long cool down period it resets. Get ready for a new fridge.

I have the same fridge. I've been toying with the idea of adding a fan at the vent.

Anyone know where to connect it so it'll come on when the compressor is running?

Should it be a 12VDC fan or would something different be better?

I have the same fridge and it mostly works fine. I did leave it off for a week at one point (empty of course) and had a lot of difficulty in getting it going again. It would run but not cool. Over several days I had it on for a few hours at a time, but then turned off for a few hours when no cooling. After 4 or 5 attempts it finally started working. I now do not turn it off for more than 30 minutes of so for de-frosting.

I can only surmise that the coolant developed an air-lock when I had it off for the week. Likely a different issue to those noted above. I'd like info on adding a an as well - it can't hurt!

I have the same fridge. I've been toying with the idea of adding a fan at the vent.

Anyone know where to connect it so it'll come on when the compressor is running?

Should it be a 12VDC fan or would something different be better?

Our last boat had a Vitrifugo refer and the circuit board had dedicated terminals for a fan up to .5 amps. I added a 50 mAmp fan and it made a huge difference. On this boat we just replaced the refer with an Isotherm. Unfortunately Isotherm doesn’t spec a fan so I added another 50 mAmp fan and just wired it into the 12 volt feed to the refer. So it comes on whenever there is 12 volt power to the refer. But at 50 mAmps I can live with that. This is what I used. Got it on Amazon.

Went down to the boat this morning and turned the fridge on. I could hear the fan and compressor start up and cycle off and on for the first couple of minutes, then they stayed on steady and I could feel the plate in the freezer chilling.

So the fan works. Haven't removed the unit to check the coils, but the spaces above and below look clean. I can't reproduce the chilling/thawing cycle, it seems random and we can't always catch it. I guess my next step is to find someone who has the tools and knowledge to come take a look at it.

Any suggestions in the Port Charlotte / Placida / Englewood area?

Gotta love intermittent problems. They are tough to troubleshoot.

Back
Top Bottom