High Freeboard, Short Handed - How To Grab A Mooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The discussions have focused on getting ONE line onto the mooring. I was taught to attach two , one from each side of the bow and doubling back to the same side. The "theory" being that the lines would not chafe in the mooring ring or mooring pennant eye-shackle as a single line would. Is this recommended? or overkill? in peoples experience? Thanks Paul

Most times you don't put a line "on" the mooring you make the mooring pennant fast on your boat. A proper mooring has a pickup line made to a pennant which in turn is shackled into the top chain of the mooring, the ball ideally just keeps the whole mess at the surface. I realize there are other setups in different regions but here in Maine where the majority of boats are kept on a mooring this is fairly standard.

I use 2 lines. My rule of thumb when docking, mooring, or anchoring, is get safe and secure, then make it pretty. So, secure through one hauser, and then add the second line through the other hauser.

Ted

"hauser" is correctly spelled hawser and using a generally accepted definition is a line over 3in. diameter used for towing. Like many nautical terms it has been bastardized over the years so that there no longer exists a hard definition.

I think his auto correct changed it from " hawse hole".

Ted is pretty salty.

That is pretty standard for many town based recreational moorings south of New England.

Most times you don't put a line "on" the mooring you make the mooring pennant fast on your boat. A proper mooring has a pickup line made to a pennant which in turn is shackled into the top chain of the mooring, the ball ideally just keeps the whole mess at the surface. I realize there are other setups in different regions but here in Maine where the majority of boats are kept on a mooring this is fairly standard.

It depends a bit on the design of the mooring. In some cases, the lines are short and for a high freeboard boat it's better to add some chafe protection and a line through the loop in the mooring pennant to add some length and reduce the mooring ball banging on the hull. If the mooring lines are of a setup where they're not kept above the surface that also helps keep the slime off the boat.

I've personally seen a variety of designs used on moorings. Ball to float things, pickup stick that you grab and lift to retrieve the (slimy) pennant. Ball with a stick on top, pennant routed through stick and hanging from the top. Ball with a loop on the top intended for you to run a line through the loop (this type being the most challenging to pick up from a tall boat).

I had one of these and it worked great, until it didn't :ermm: The rotatory mechanism froze and it grabbed onto the ring of the mooring ball, but would not complete the rotation and I was leaning over the bow, now holding onto the device which was stuck on the ring. I cannot remember how I got it dislodged, but it nearly caused me to go overboard as I struggled to get it loose.

I took it home and dismantled it. There was debris, which looked like dried sea water encrusted into the ball bearings that were used to facilitate the rotation.

Lesson learned is to check the device before you leave the dock to make sure it works, and probably to wash it down when you return. Finally, it may need some lubrication periodically.

Glad I read about your experience! We’ve used our Hook & Moor at least 100 times over the years and it has always worked. Every. Single. Time.

However, I’m now going to check it during the season. But more importantly, give the head a fresh water rinse if for any reason it dipped into salt water (which has happened a time or two).

It depends a bit on the design of the mooring. In some cases, the lines are short and for a high freeboard boat it's better to add some chafe protection and a line through the loop in the mooring pennant to add some length and reduce the mooring ball banging on the hull. If the mooring lines are of a setup where they're not kept above the surface that also helps keep the slime off the boat.

I've personally seen a variety of designs used on moorings. Ball to float things, pickup stick that you grab and lift to retrieve the (slimy) pennant. Ball with a stick on top, pennant routed through stick and hanging from the top. Ball with a loop on the top intended for you to run a line through the loop (this type being the most challenging to pick up from a tall boat).

As I alluded different places may have a different setup, what I described is what's most common where I am and over many years has proven sufficient and easy to deal with. Running a line through an eye to form a bridle works temporarily but will chafe rapidly. You're better served by picking up the eye and forming a bridle by making the center of your bridle fast in the eye with a double cow hitch so the lines won't chafe and is easy to remove.

As I alluded different places may have a different setup, what I described is what's most common where I am and over many years has proven sufficient and easy to deal with. Running a line through an eye to form a bridle works temporarily but will chafe rapidly. You're better served by picking up the eye and forming a bridle by making the center of your bridle fast in the eye with a double cow hitch so the lines won't chafe and is easy to remove.

I agree, just running a line through to form a bridle isn't a great way to do it. Especially if you don't feed both ends of the line back to the same cleat.

....by making the center of your bridle fast in the eye with a double cow hitch ....

And here I was thinking that a prusik knot was the way to go... when actually I was envisioning the double cow hitch in my mind...

Learn something new every day... then go celebrate with an adult beverage :D

And here I was thinking that a prusik knot was the way to go... when actually I was envisioning the double cow hitch in my mind...

Learn something new every day... then go celebrate with an adult beverage :D

With a single wrap it's a cow hitch or larks head, with two its a double cow hitch, double larks head or a prusik if you're more into mountain climbing, but I was staying with the nautical theme.

Back
Top Bottom