Important topic, requiring wide-ranging input...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Talk about great gin - Empress, distilled in Sidney. And yes, it’s purple!

Not just purple, Condy's crystals purple

pp-3-390x487.jpg

Life is too short for cheap gin. When you absolutely, positively have to get your scorching hot, muggy summer afternoon drink on, Hendrick's Gin & Fever Tree tonic. Accept no substitutes!

Just curious if you have also checked the fridge temp? I'm assuming there is one thermostat for the fridge/freezer. Something doesn't seem right. I set my thermostat based on the fridge temp and the freezer is whatever it is, but seems plenty cold as ice doesn't melt. Not sure I'd bother using freezer space for alcohol. The slush likely has less alcohol content than the gin. Just like if a beer freezes, the water will turn to slush and you are left with a more alcoholic liquid. It's sometimes done purposely to make a more alcoholic beer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_beer
But also, remember that some drinks benefit from the water from melting. Like a whiskey on the rocks for instance, if that's how you enjoy it. If the alcohol is as cold as the ice, very little melting happens. I like an ice cold g&t too, but I'll use lots of cubes to get there.

I prefer speyside or Islay single malts. Use one small ice cube to add the right amount of water. Served with a Granny Smith, crackers and extra sharp cheddar. But wife prefers Hendricks with either paper thin cucumber slices or crushed cucumber. She occasionally will add an antimalerial. Then it’s Schweppes of course. She likes water crackers with Brie as the side.
My paternal grandmother kept a large porcelain crock under the sink for potato peals. Ran her own still. Added fruit peelings, pepper or spices. Then straight into the freezer. Served in a water glass. Don’t ever recall ice forming in it.

I have to weigh in on the tonic debate. I've tried Fever Tree and it's good, but I wouldn't say it vastly superior. Schweppes is my go-to as well but I'll go one step further. The best is the 7 oz bottles or cans (cans are better for boating). A freshly opened tonic is required if you want to make a great drink. Admit that it's not the most cost-effective, but if you are paying for good gin, don't skimp on the tonic. Unless you are making several drinks at once, or over a short time, the single-use cans and bottles are the best.

I mix Martinis as follows;

8 ounce stainless steel bottle
1.5 ounces Martini & Rossi vermouth
6 large olives
Fill remainder with Bombay Sapphire
Rest in freezer for at least 3 hours

My freezer (in house not boat) has never frozen this mix. Gets a little thick but never grainy.

Gin makes me grin... :D

I, too, was a fan of Schweppes (NOT the diet version!) until I discovered Fever Tree tonic waters. I was surprised how much of a difference premium tonic water can make in a G&T.
Fever Tree is good. I go for Q tonic. Hendricks gin. Cubes made of tonic so there's no water dilution, gotta shake and stir to de-carbonate before pouring in the cube tray. Then the fresh squeezed juice of half a lime in each GnT.

Fever Tree is good. I go for Q tonic. Hendricks gin. Cubes made of tonic so there's no water dilution, gotta shake and stir to de-carbonate before pouring in the cube tray. Then the fresh squeezed juice of half a lime in each GnT.

But then there is no carbonation in your drink? I'm not a fan of flat tonic. I'll point out again that some drinks improve with a little water/ice dillution, but I realize it's a matter of personal preference. For instance I like to shake a martini vigorously so that it is super cold with small fragmants of ice floating on top. Besides, who wants to wait 3 hours for a drink!

But then there is no carbonation in your drink? I'm not a fan of flat tonic. I'll point out again that some drinks improve with a little water/ice dillution, but I realize it's a matter of personal preference. For instance I like to shake a martini vigorously so that it is super cold with small fragmants of ice floating on top. Besides, who wants to wait 3 hours for a drink!
I wasn't clear enough in my description. The de-cabonating is for the cube tonic only. Fully carbonated tonic is poured into the beverage.

I do like Empress & Fever Tree as my top choice for a g&t. Would not recommend Empress for a martini. I do prefer a single malt scotch but I am very picky and prefer only East Highland Single Malts. Not a fan of costal or island malts.

Now how true are you to the “correct “ way to make a dark and stormy?

Tough dilemma. How olds the Tanqueray? If it sits around with the cap off could the alcohol content could go down as it evaporates? :D

It's new...but purchased in Italy. Hmmm. I've been storing Tanqueray for years in this very same freezer...and it never froze before.

I even store Limoncello in the same freezer (31% alcohol) and it never freezes -- but this could be due to the acidity from the lemon (???)

Preliminary results are in. -26C in my freezer!

Final results are in. -27c in my freezer. Maybe I will try to contact the manufacturer to see if there's any way I can control this, as from my viewpoint, I only seem to be able to control the refrigerator.

Something is definitely wrong with your freezer control (thermostat?). Zero degrees F is a common household freezer setting.

I think you may be right. Will try to contact the manufacturer about this.

I think many of us would happily go for that! In my mind, the G&T is the "it's hot out and I want something refreshing" drink.

But it IS hot out, at least where I am ;-)

Talk about great gin - Empress, distilled in Sidney. And yes, it’s purple!

Very interesting. Never knew purple Gin existed. Will have to look for this and give it a try! (assuming they export it...

Gin makes me grin... :D

I, too, was a fan of Schweppes (NOT the diet version!) until I discovered Fever Tree tonic waters. I was surprised how much of a difference premium tonic water can make in a G&T.

Thank you for putting me on to Fever Tree. Never heard of this before. I checked and it is available in Sweden (which is a surprise...). I will have to give this a try!

Just curious if you have also checked the fridge temp? I'm assuming there is one thermostat for the fridge/freezer. Something doesn't seem right. I set my thermostat based on the fridge temp and the freezer is whatever it is, but seems plenty cold as ice doesn't melt. Not sure I'd bother using freezer space for alcohol. The slush likely has less alcohol content than the gin. Just like if a beer freezes, the water will turn to slush and you are left with a more alcoholic liquid. It's sometimes done purposely to make a more alcoholic beer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_beer
But also, remember that some drinks benefit from the water from melting. Like a whiskey on the rocks for instance, if that's how you enjoy it. If the alcohol is as cold as the ice, very little melting happens. I like an ice cold g&t too, but I'll use lots of cubes to get there.

Fridge temp, which I can control, is 4-6c where I have it set (i.e. about medium). I haven't experimented to see if the freezer gets less cold if I make the fridge temp higher. Unfortunately, I don't want the fridge temp any higher than 4-6c, as things will spoil faster.

I suspect you may be right about the slush. I find I need to use two shots of slush gin to produce an "equivalent" drink to a 1-shot non-slush gin drink. All these experiments and conclusions are very scientific, of course...

I have to weigh in on the tonic debate. I've tried Fever Tree and it's good, but I wouldn't say it vastly superior. Schweppes is my go-to as well but I'll go one step further. The best is the 7 oz bottles or cans (cans are better for boating). A freshly opened tonic is required if you want to make a great drink. Admit that it's not the most cost-effective, but if you are paying for good gin, don't skimp on the tonic. Unless you are making several drinks at once, or over a short time, the single-use cans and bottles are the best.

I couldn't agree more about the small cans of tonic. In the long run, I think they just might be more cost-effective, if I consider the countless drinks I've ruined with nearly flat tonic. I can't quite get my head around why I can keep a 1 1/2 liter bottle of coke going forever without it losing its fizz -- and Tonic, I can't even keep the remains of a 50cl bottle for a week without it going flat. The little cans solved the problem...but, alas, they are not readily available everywhere. We had no problem getting them in France. They are not to be found in Italy. In Sweden, it's only 50cl, 1 liter and 1 1/ liter bottles.

Attachments

• G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 36
I see the problem here. Your gin needs a higher alcohol content.
Deaths-Door.jpg

It’s not just the alcohol that effects freezing point but rather everything that’s in solution. Have you tried a different brand?

It’s not just the alcohol that effects freezing point but rather everything that’s in solution. Have you tried a different brand?

Sapphire freezes faster, with slightly less alcohol content. Something has changed, however. I have stored Tanqueray in this freezer over the years, with no freezing. I am doing a new test tonight. Placed a new, unopened bottle of Tanqueray in the freezer. It will be interesting if it does not freeze…

Capt Tom: Interesting. What is the alcohol content of this? Can’t read it…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom