Important topic, requiring wide-ranging input...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not that I want to end this thread but stop freezing your gin!!! You can make a great drink w/o freezing your alcohol? How many bars do that?

Dear...dear...62 posts over what is a very 1st world problem. Everyone must be be-calmed or something. ? time to do some maintenance..? :hide:

Dear Scott, just turn the fridge up to between 6-8ºC - cold enough to be safe, and save a heap of watts. And if you still get slush just put the gin in the fridge, and pop in an ice cube, (lime, lemon or whatever), if desired. Problem solved. I agree about the Schweppes, by the way. :)

Now, about that maintenance. You've been enjoying the sights so much I'm sure sometihing is being neglected..? :D

Not that I want to end this thread but stop freezing your gin!!! You can make a great drink w/o freezing your alcohol? How many bars do that?

Yeah, but they either shake or stir with ice that dilutes the mix.

I like my Martinis full strength, so I freeze the mix and then pour into a frozen glass, no ice.

Wonderful - :)

Capt Tom: Interesting. What is the alcohol content of this? Can’t read it…

RTF beat me to it. I had a bottle of Death's Door last year. Not bad at all. I may buy another just for the name and the looks of the bottle. I'm generally a Tanqueray guy.

Dear...dear...62 posts over what is a very 1st world problem. Everyone must be be-calmed or something. ? time to do some maintenance..? :hide:

Dear Scott, just turn the fridge up to between 6-8ºC - cold enough to be safe, and save a heap of watts. And if you still get slush just put the gin in the fridge, and pop in an ice cube, (lime, lemon or whatever), if desired. Problem solved. I agree about the Schweppes, by the way. :)

Now, about that maintenance. You've been enjoying the sights so much I'm sure sometihing is being neglected..? :D

Well, I could write about an adventure with a macerator pump that failed at a very inopportune time. Or the fresh water pump that failed last week after 12 trouble-free years or the Jabsco joker valve that failed, or the toilet discharge hose that clogged, or the Whale sump level switch that I had to replace for the SECOND time this year already. All not so fun, but I'm sure pretty routine for TF members. It seems that it has been a year of plumbing-related failures for me. Fortunately, I had spare parts with me to cover just about all the failures. Much more fun to write and debate about gin...and tonics!

Last edited:
Thanks RTF. Fun but also informative.

I saw a mosquito a few minutes ago. Hand me the antidote!

Update...

New bottle of Tanqueray now in freezer at -26 to -27C and it has not turned to slush after almost a week! While I agree I need to work on finding a way to raise my freezer temp, I have drawn the short-term conclusion that my last bottle -- the only bottle of Tanqueray to ever turn to slush on me -- was tampered with at some point in the production/delivery process. There was an unbroken Italy "tax seal" on it, but I don't remember if the metal cap seal was broken or not. I think I would have noticed if it were broken...but maybe I missed it.

Anyway, I will continue to put the Tanq. in the freezer as long as it doesn't freeze, because I like it that cold.

I really appreciate all the interesting input in this thread. It certainly elevated my knowledge of Gin & Gin drinks. Some new things to try!!!

It's new...but purchased in Italy. Hmmm. I've been storing Tanqueray for years in this very same freezer...and it never froze before.

I even store Limoncello in the same freezer (31% alcohol) and it never freezes -- but this could be due to the acidity from the lemon (???)

Its probably the Italian Urine that's freezing!!

Scott,
I like how your signature tells where you are from and where you are currently. Have you ever tried Skol gin? I'll try to paste in an image. I like both Bombay and Tanqueray but this is cheaper and we like it better for martinis (gin on the rocks with olives at our house.)

12291786506270.png

Frig getting 2 cold.......

Hi... Not an uncommon problem.. Your Frig has an Air Leak somewhere, & warm, moist air is leaking into the unit, preventing the unit from shutting down, trying to keep the temp. at the setpoint, but preventing the unit from shutting due to the new air leaking in.. Biggest offender is normally the door gasket... Check Closely, & look for any cracks or punctures in the inside liner. also.........Ken

Opportunity!

Hootch freezes up? Great - try making a Cosmopolitan with your favorite recipe. Freeze it. When frozen (it will be a thick slush) spoon it into preferably a martini glass, and be ready! As it melts it goes through a lite syrupy stage with a wonderful mouth feel and full flavor as it slowly turns into a normal liquid state, frosting the glass in the mean time. Spectacular!

But, two are too many and three aren’t enough! Hold back a designated helmsman for MOB duty.

Name it a “Boatwright”!

Aviation gin. A local product that has gone national.
Sorry for the sideways drift!

I pour this over glacier ice that I pack out of the mountains.

Attachments

• 20210922_155223.jpg
    20210922_155223.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
There is a saying that maritinis are like womens breasts. One is not enough, and three is too many!

Most of us learn that rule empirically.

Last time I have alcohol freeze was on a mountain top in Wildflicken West Germany (FRG) with 11th Armored Cav. (The location and the company I kept should explain why we had the bottle.) It was in winter of 72.

Why in the hell do you store your Tanqueray gin in the freezer?
I can't get my head around this, no matter the temperature of the freezer.
If you want your gin cool, just stick it in the same fridge you store your tonic and possibly lemons/limes.
That's what we do in Australia (i.e. those who prefer their gin cool).
Do you store your gin in your freezer or fridge at home, as well?

Last edited:
Why in the hell do you store your Tanqueray gin in the freezer?
I can't get my head around this, no matter the temperature of the freezer.
If you want your gin cool, just stick it in the same fridge you store your tonic and possibly lemons/limes.
That's what we do in Australia (i.e. those who prefer their gin cool).
Do you store your gin in your freezer or fridge at home, as well?

1) Because I like it that way.
2) Yes, in the freezer - but my freezer is a mere -19c at home

I have two freezers on my GB42, both set to -20c.
Keeps everything that I wish to freeze, frozen - e.g. meat, ice cream, etc

BTW... I once took care of a 103 year old sprightly Gent who walked into my clinic totally under his own steam, no assistants, sharp as the proverbial tack, and funny as hell. I asked him.. " OK.. whats the secret?". His response: " ONLY Tanqueray, ONLY in the freezer... but most importantly... Shake EXACTLY 50 TIMES!!... no more! no less!"...
That was about 30 years ago... to this day, I have never made any kind of shaken cocktail any other way!!! At 66... working towards the goal of 103 !!
Pete

The answer...

It seems that even though the temperature dial in the refrigerator goes up to 7, anything above 3 1/2 will cause it to run continuously, leading to frost build up in the back of the refrigerator and freezing of Gin (!) in the freezer. Keeping it at 3 1/2 or below resolves all problems. As an afterthought, I read the manual...and it basically said to do this. Hmm... RTFM.

Last edited:
ASD knows. I thought people stopped drinking bathtub gin a long time ago.

Fun fact, just like heat will remove alcohol, so too will cold. So yes your slushy is missing the alcohol you bought the longer it stays in the freezer.

Scott, do you know what pulling the leg is?

Last edited:
My scotch doesn't freeze, even on the coldest setting. Or I'm opening the door too often to take a pull. Could be you need to drink straight from the bottle.

Maybe you're drinking the wrong booze.

Proper Dark & Stormy

Now how true are you to the “correct “ way to make a dark and stormy?

On my boat, the 'correct' way is using a large Tervis cup, add 4 large ice cubes, pour in about 3/4 of a can of Goslings ginger beer, add 1 1/4 lines of Goslings Dark Rum(using the lines on the Tervis), then add the remainder of the ginger beer. The result is a great tasting Dark & Stormy with no left over ginger beer to mess with! :thumb:

Attachments

• 20230719_130053.jpg
    20230719_130053.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 37
On my boat, the 'correct' way is using a large Tervis cup, add 4 large ice cubes, pour in about 3/4 of a can of Goslings ginger beer, add 1 1/4 lines of Goslings Dark Rum(using the lines on the Tervis), then add the remainder of the ginger beer. The result is a great tasting Dark & Stormy with no left over ginger beer to mess with! :thumb:

When not in New England I always got a blank stare from folks and bartenders about a "Dahhhk & Stormae". And even if they did know they made it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom