Instrument lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Figment

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TRITON
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
Weather caused us to run a few hours past sunset the other day, our first night-running on this boat , prompting the discovery that none of the engine instruments lights are working, upper or lower.

Before I start poking and tracing, does anyone know off the top of their head if GB wired those lights to the engine circuits or to the running light circuit or to some other source?

Weather caused us to run a few hours past sunset the other day, our first night-running on this boat , prompting the discovery that none of the engine instruments lights are working, upper or lower.

Before I start poking and tracing, does anyone know off the top of their head if GB wired those lights to the engine circuits or to the running light circuit or to some other source?
I have both a breaker and on/off toggle for running lights

On mine, the nav and instruments lights are on the same breaker.

On my 1995 GB 42 CL, the instrument lights come on with the Navigation Lights breaker. They are not on the engine circuit.

If they were on the engine circuit then they would be on every time the engines are running. Mine have been on the nav light circuit.

A combination of answers; yes I found a switch (not labeled), powered from the starboard engine circuit.

I agree that powering them from the nav/running light circuit makes more sense, but my personal score is now tied... I've had 3 boats wired to running lights, and now this is the 3rd wired to engine circuit.

Back
Top Bottom