Inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are talking boats here.
So what's $1000 extra for real quality vs budget in the scheme of things?

Don't get me wrong, I am the epitome of doing things on a budget, but only so I can buy the good stuff where it actually matters.

There’s a short answer to this and it’s one word ….. Victron Quattro there simply is nothing that comes close to it absolutely seamless in its simplicity and reliability.

That's two words ;) but I tend to agree
In the 6 years if full time usage I have not regretted the decision to spend a little bit extra for our multiplus vs a yum cha brand.

Last edited:
Yes same for me Simi I’ve had Four years now with the Victron Quattro 48volt 240volt 8kva working 24/7 on 20kw of lithium and it’s been absolutely flawless haven’t touched it, just like living on the grid in a boat except when the sun dosent shine I’ve got to fire up the Genset for a hour a day, amazing product and worth that little bit more even for just peace of mind :)

IF I under understand you correctly, step aboard, turn on the inverter, turn on the charger and do not worry?

Again, the balance of battery bank size, size of inverter output, size of charger input, alternator output main engine, size of generator output and finally output of solar array to charger? Even I am confused.

Last edited:
Fiability of Victron ?

Some model of Victron the people in charge to repair them don't like them, they said very bad concept inside, need lot of time to only reach the part .
Victron answer : buy a new one
Repairer answer : no sorry we don't put hand on this model
Unfortunately it is the model we have on board and not one but 3... :-(

I need to repair the left one : nobody want put hand on, I said to Victron : ok I will buy a new one

Answer of Victron : you must change the 3 one because not sure the "newest" could work with the older one ...

In my point of view 3 inverter it is stupid because 9kw !!??
One , for our use it is enough but for sale the boat I want put it in his original concept.
If I must buy inverter I will buy again a Studer now fitted 21 year ago on our former boat and still working since that time

Attachments

• 100_1971.jpg
    100_1971.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
long-course, are your 3 inverters in parallel or are you generating 3-phase power?

No only 220v

long-course, are your 3 inverters in parallel or are you generating 3-phase power?

But they put 3 in sorry I don't know the word say in "cascade"

one up to 3kw, after the second enter in service and if need more the third one also work.
But with "only" 8 x 12 volts battery of 250ap each ( classic lead one ) it is not logic too much inverter to compare with the ressource of the batteries.
24 volts 1000 amp. (if we could empty them to zero ... but for lead acid we kill them -))
One inverter is enough for our type of use

If I remember the Studer was also 3000 w continue and 9000w during may be 10' and 12000w instant.

Long-cour.62, you are saying you X number of 8DX12vt batteries, of what chemistry? FLA or AGM??
Are you saying, you normally run with 1 inverter on- line and the other 2 join in and drop out automatically as necessary to support the load?

Last edited:
Yes basic lead/acid one

Yes basic lead/acid
Yes only use one inverter it is far enough for us at sea or anchorage, on two month at anchorage we used our genset only 4 time 45mn for...baking.
The rest of the time solar panel/batteries/inverter even cooking in the day time.
Yes on the Victron book they wrotte "parralele" for this type of installation

Attachments

• 20221016_154730.jpg
    20221016_154730.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 21
Yes basic lead/acid
Yes only use one inverter it is far enough for us at sea or anchorage, on two month at anchorage we used our genset only 4 time 45mn for...baking.
The rest of the time solar panel/batteries/inverter even cooking in the day time.
Yes on the Victron book they wrotte "parralele" for this type of installation

I would say yours is 3 phase 415 volts by the lay out, best plan try to source second hand unit to replace, the units are over 10 years old you have in photo, second hand market should be active .or remove and take to another dealer for second opinion there isn’t many boards in these units can’t see why it would be a problem to repair if faulty.

We spec’d outback for the solar. In that function works fine.
For house inverter have had Magnus and Victron. No difference between them for my use pattern. Don’t like either of their screens. On last boat put on PHilippi as whole boat monitoring (all batteries, electrical sources, tanks etc.) and ignored the other screens. Miss it now.

We spec’d outback for the solar. In that function works fine.
For house inverter have had Magnus and Victron. No difference between them for my use pattern. Don’t like either of their screens. On last boat put on PHilippi as whole boat monitoring (all batteries, electrical sources, tanks etc.) and ignored the other screens. Miss it now.

Interesting thread tangent. I spec'd a Magnum inverter specifically because it is hard-wired without creation of a Bluetooth or WiFi. I do have VIctron MPPT controllers that are Bluetooth based and I like the interface.....when it is broadcasting which has been a bit finnicky. I find the Blue Sea M2 monitors more reliable longterm than anything network based that will eventually become obsolete. That said, the LED M2's are a bit less intuitive, as is the Magnum monitor. There are also no advanced calculations possible as there would be with fully integrated data sources into an App (Victron, Maretron, etc.). A nice capability, but a tradeoff I am happy to make for longterm reliability. In the end, I want/need some basic SoC related readings and that's it.

BTW - if it makes a difference to anyone, the Auto-Generator-Start (AGS) feature for Magnum is an incredibly simple install, even for 3-wire generators such as Northern Lights (third wire is for pre-heat). May have changed, but 3-years ago when I was looking, the VIctron required a separate component for AGS, and install was far from intuitive.

Peter

Last edited:
With the Phillipi it’s a bit of a pain to set up tank volumes when not simple rectangles, put in the shunts and test accuracy, temperature and the rest. But once done it was flawless for a decade. Even after changing from Chinese FLA to lifelines.
On a single screen got SOC for everything and %age, in and out draws from solar, wind, shore, inverter, genset and all tanks. It could take all engine information but never set that up as it was in a sailboat.
Sensors and monitor all hard wired and connections marine grade plug and play. If I wasn’t running out of money doing other projects would put it in to our current boat.

Back
Top Bottom