Is a "battery balancer" worth it when installing a new pair of AGM in series?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtdums

Vessel Name
Up Next
Vessel Make
Sabreline
New 24v bow thruster getting installed along with a pair of new AGM batteries...is a fairly inexpensive "battery balancer" like this one from Victron:
Victron battery balancer
cheap insurance to protect the pair of batteries for long term reliability?

Plan is to use a 24v ac to dc victron smart charger to charge the batteries (generator on board and limited time spent on the hook realistically). Anyone want to offer a suggestion on charger choice?

Jim D
1990 Sabreline Fast Trawler

I wouldn't bother. And especially so given your use pattern which will regularly get the batteries back to full charge and hold them at float using shore power.

I've run 8 AGMs in series on an industrial lift for decades. They don't seem to go out of balance. Might if operated in a partial state of charge for a long time, but that will kill the AGMs regardless. A 12V is after all 6 cells in series, and you can get to those nodes to balance them.

The Victron smart chargers are great, I've got about 5 of them. While powered with AC, you can BLE into them with your phone and see the state, charge history, etc.

Thanks for the reply from both of you. I like the look of those Victron chargers and have heard good things. Came across the balancer while looking at charger options so this helps to clear it up. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom