Isotherm CR130 Drink Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Hi all,

There as a thread here a bit ago about upgrading the thermostat in a boat fridge to a digital one. It didn't happen to show how to modify the wiring, so I figured I'd post what I did with my Isotherm CR130 Drink.

I'd been low-key wrestling with mine since buying the boat, never happy with the temperature difference between the upper and lower shelves, the compressor ventilation, the cabinet ventilation, or the wide (10+ F) temperature swing.

Initially, I replaced the thermostat with like kind, but the new one behaved just like the old one. Then I tried out a digital controller "thermostat", and it got a tighter range, but the top was still significantly warmer than the bottom, so I went back to the analog vs permanently changing things.

Ultimately, I upgraded the compressor fan to one with a little more CFM, more than doubled the cabinet ventilation, and added a digital controller in place of the OEM thermostat. I am now finally happy.

Recently, the compressor fan died, which cause the unit to shut down on an over-temperature fault (There is a connection for LED-based diagnosis on the controller, nothing on a fixed display). There was also a diver who shut off my pedestal power while I was gone. This caused me to be concerned that the fridge or freezer could warm up while I was gone, then cool back off later, and I'd never know the difference -- until I ate bad food. So, I added continuous Wi-Fi monitoring.

The monitor I'm now using, which, as a bonus, also allows me to control my HVAC via Wi-Fi, is the one below, from Amazon. I now have two hubs, each one controls one AC unit, as well as temp/humidity sensors in each cabin and engine compartment, as well as one in the fridge and one in the freezer.

-- SwitchBot WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer 3 Pack with Hub Mini, IP65 Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Wireless, Humidity/Temperature/Dewpoint/VPD/Absolute Humidity Sensor with Smart Alerts, Works with Alexa https://a.co/d/amvHMT1

The "digital thermostat" controller I'm using is also from Amazon:

-- bayite DC 12V Fahrenheit Digital Temperature Controller 10A 1 Relay with Sensor https://a.co/d/gIPeYlt

I've included a marked-up version of how Isotherm's schematic showing how I wired it in as well as a picture of the installation. It may not be clear in the picture, but I have a SPST On/Off switch where the old thermostat knob used to be. It replaces the "click past 0 to off/Click past off to 0/On" feature of the old thermostat.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Similar modification might or might not work for you, I might have goofed something on the drawing, or what I did could cause a fire, explosion, or hole in the Universe any moment now. So, please use this only for inspiration, not as a guaranteed solution.

Attachments

• 20230703_161140.jpg
    20230703_161140.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 46
  • ThermostatUpgradeCR130Drink.jpg
    ThermostatUpgradeCR130Drink.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 42
Seems like a lot, but if it makes you happy it’s worth it.
I just use an ice cube in a ziplock bag to let me know if the freezer went down.

I just use an ice cube in a ziplock bag to let me know if the freezer went down.

That's a great idea!

But it doesn't work for the fridge.

The temperature monitoring didn't take any real work. It was done in seconds. Install the app, plug in and pair the hub, pull battery tabs and place the wireless Bluetooth sensors wherever I wanted them, give them meaningful names in the app. Done.

The cabinet ventilation needed to be addressed. It just wasn't adequately vented from the get go. I dont think the PO, or whoever set that cabinet up for him, ever checked temps to know how hot it was getting inside that cabinet. It only took a couple hours of time to do it. I procrastinated too long. At a minimum it helps efficiency. It likely also helps longevity.

As for the thermostat, the replacement took some time. I thought it would go faster, but it was probably a couple or three hours by the time I pulled the unit out, chased the wires, looked at the schematic, decided how I wanted to run the wires and physically mount things, and get it all neatly done and put back.

But, indeed, having a much better behaved fridge and monitoring makes me happy. The control over the AC is a nice bonus.

And, heck, as a belt and suspenders approach....I've. Ow got an ice cube in a ziplock in the freezer. So, thanks for that!

The other thing about the ice cube approach is that, unlike the Wi-Fi monitored approach, it doesn't enable me to call a boat neighbor to fix whatever the problem might be, just let's me know that all of my good is waste once itnis too late to do anything about it.

I still like it as. A low-tech, highly reliable fail safe, though.

So the Switchbot saved my butt. See attachments.

Several weeks ago, there was a spike in the freezer temperature, but not enough to defrost anything. I put in my controller diagnostic LED pigtail and it flashed a totally nonsensical code. The mechanical thermostat, evaporator, and compressor, etc, were all found to be fine by bypassing the controller. I power cycled the controller and it went back to normal operation.

I decided to replace the controller next time I was at the boat and to hope for the best until then. But, no such luck.

The temperature again rose without explanation. I had a friend empty the freezer before it got above freeing. It seemed to plateau. Then the temperature rose to room temperature and stayed there for a long while, before returning to the plateau of barely freezing.

I replaced the controller and all seems well.

If I'd waited gor an ice cube in a ziplock to melt, I'd have come back weeks later to a freezer of thawed fish (and more) and whatever insects, rodents, and flora had found them.

The sensor in the flybridge cooler also let me know that the person washing the boat tripped the GFCI.

Maybe having a sensor in every cabin and compartment in the bost was overkill. But the $45 Inspent for the hub and the sensors for the refrigerator, freezer, and cooler is now officially among the few best examples I have of small boat money almost unimaginably well spent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_014130_SwitchBot.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_014130_SwitchBot.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231122_014228_SwitchBot.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_014228_SwitchBot.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231122_014130_SwitchBot (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_014130_SwitchBot (1).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231122_014228_SwitchBot (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_014228_SwitchBot (1).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15
Good save. You are correct, the ice cube in a bag won’t save the contents of the freezer, it only saves you from eating spoiled food.

Today is a happy day...

Because I thought I was the only person crazy enough to monitor my frige temperature

:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26
Today is a happy day...

Because I thought I was the only person crazy enough to monitor my frige temperature

Also, what do you use for smoke and co? I have FirstAlert wireless and interconnected, but not remote monitorable.

Thanks!

Today is a happy day...

Obviously important, look at the size of the tile.
What system is that?

Back
Top Bottom