It finally happened to me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Noticed an AC voltage drop on the boat, and it was the shore power plug. The shore power cord came with the boat 24 years ago and it should have been replaced earlier.

Attachments

• Fried Plug.jpg
    Fried Plug.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
Only 24 years? You don't want to rush these things. I heard from some guy that all you need to do is use a healthy dob of dielectric grease and you should be good for another 10 years.... or not!

In all seriousness, I am glad you caught it before it became an actual fire and I appreciate the reminder.

24 years...lol. I guess I cant judge too hard. I used the one that came with the boat for a few years and I have no idea how old it was. My marina recently replaced the shore power pedestals, so I took that opportunity to buy a nice new cord and replace the boats shore power plug. Should be good for a while.

This is always a concern. I have a thermal cam and scan the plug inside and out every now and then. Even new they can get warm.

Some years ago we had a guest slip at Dana Point, California. Comes the morning and no shore power, so I cranked up the gen set. Later on I talked to the maintenance guy replacing a receptacle. He could not understand why he was always replacing receptacles. I showed him a boat that had bare wires stuffed into the receptacle because they did not have the proper plug. He never knew that went on.

That wins the prize for stupid on the dock.

I'm still using the dock cord that came with the boat. The boat has a 50A, 125V input socket and of course all the docks have 30A. Yeah there was the 30A-50A adapter cord. No boot either side.

Last year I trimmed off about 15 feet of cord and put on a 50A plug and boot so it would be nice and tight. The 30A side was molded and still looking good and cutting the cable and stripping showed good wire. The plug and boot was well over a hundred bucks, but now it's right.

Last edited:
After mine fried at the boat end last year I went with a Smartpower cord. Less chance of catching the boat on fire, I think.

Back
Top Bottom