Kitchen faucet delta starting to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
Water comes out from the connections at the valve if I wiggle the long neck a bit. The oring inside may have worn out somehow. The under part looks like as attached. I would need to remove the canvas kind of stuff to replace the faucet assembly.

Is the purpose of the canvas covering to protect the wood underside from the risk of water leakage?
IMG20231112144441.jpg

IMG20231112144459.jpg

Last edited:
Why don't you just repair the faucet? Parts are readily available and it's a very easy job.

Unscrew the onoff handle and replace the inside orings?
This would be easy but water is coming out from the bottom of the handle as well as the flange at the base (where the faucet neck rotates).

Worst case is I have to remove the double sink first to replace the faucet

The repair kit available in most every plumbing department can be purchased with everything you should need for a complete repair. You want the kit which includes the ball, the seal that goes over the ball, two large o rings for the spout, two rubber seats and springs, also make sure you get some faucet grease. It is a simple repair, loosen the set screw to remove the handle and unscrew the large cap above the spout. You now can remove the spout and replace everything, 15 minutes tops and your faucet will be as good as new.

Google how to repair your Delta faucet and you should find a youtube that can walk you through it.

I wouldn't think you need to remove the sink. However, based on the pictures it looks like someone put a hole in the escutcheon plate for the sprayer. Also, the red tape on the water line? Sorry, but it looks like a hack job and should be done correctly with the right fixture. I assume someone else did this install, probably the PO? It looks like a problem waiting to happen. Buy a new replacement fixture and you not only will learn about your boat and water system, you will proactively fix it before you have more than a simple leak in an old fixture. It's not an expensive fix and you will learn more about your boat.

Thanks for the info.
Nevertheless could you post a picture or link of the repair kit and the grease.

What is the escutcheon plate?

The boat was just purchased. Its probably from the previous owners

Delta usually has a lifetime warranty on the faucet. Call them and they will likely send you the parts needed to fix it if it is indeed a Delta faucet.

It has delta embossed at the base. But warranty claim usually requires purchase proof and model number, both are not available

What is the escutcheon plate?

The boat was just purchased. Its probably from the previous owners

It's the trim plate that is the base of the faucet.

Attachments

• chrome-kraus-escutcheons-plates-dp01ch-64_600.jpg
    chrome-kraus-escutcheons-plates-dp01ch-64_600.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 23
Greetings,
Mr. p. Personally I would rip out all that fabric. There should be no need what-so-ever to "protect" anything under the sink since there shouldn't be any leaks. What is shown in the picture is the perfect environment for mold to grow. Dark, potentially damp at times, with little to no moving air. I suspect that material is there to simply "pretty up" the area.
If you're concerned about appearances, clean and paint.

It has delta embossed at the base. But warranty claim usually requires purchase proof and model number, both are not available

I have gotten parts from Delta without any purchase or receipt info. They have photos of the models on the web site. Also I have asked the operator about model numbers.

Greetings,
Mr. p. Personally I would rip out all that fabric. There should be no need what-so-ever to "protect" anything under the sink since there shouldn't be any leaks. What is shown in the picture is the perfect environment for mold to grow. Dark, potentially damp at times, with little to no moving air. I suspect that material is there to simply "pretty up" the area.
If you're concerned about appearances, clean and paint.

Thanks. Now I see the cloth is not important.

I have gotten parts from Delta without any purchase or receipt info. They have photos of the models on the web site. Also I have asked the operator about model numbers.

Thanks. Their service looks great.

Ok, the base. I didn't notice the location of the hole is not authentic.

I wouldn't think you need to remove the sink. However, based on the pictures it looks like someone put a hole in the escutcheon plate for the sprayer. Also, the red tape on the water line? Sorry, but it looks like a hack job and should be done correctly with the right fixture. I assume someone else did this install, probably the PO? It looks like a problem waiting to happen. Buy a new replacement fixture and you not only will learn about your boat and water system, you will proactively fix it before you have more than a simple leak in an old fixture. It's not an expensive fix and you will learn more about your boat.

What is the new replacement fixture? Could you give a link?

Water line comes from a white bottle. Does it look like a filter?

Attachments

• IMG20231112145810.jpg
    IMG20231112145810.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 33
What is the new replacement fixture? Could you give a link?

For the most part any standard faucet with 1/2" male threaded inlet shanks would probably work. You will need to measure the spread between inlets (basically the holes in the sink where the shanks feed through) and figure out what height your sink and anything above it can clear. You will find many options and you choose based on your budget. Based on the shutoff valve (if you have one) size, you can then figure out the length of the sink water line(s) to buy. Personally, I would probably opt to remove the water filter, assuming that's what your picture is.

The bottom line is, you are following someone else's work and it's probably not standard. Follow all of your water lines and map out what you currently have, then you will have a starting point and can plan your system repair/replacement.

My boat is 40 years old and recently finished replacing and upgrading my entire water system, (freshwater, raw water, black water). Now I know every inch, turn, valve components and connections (there are now 88 connections total, yes I counted!), pipes, lines, head, tanks,.hotwater, etc)

Water line comes from a white bottle. Does it look like a filter?

Right. That's a filter. The bottom part should unscrew to reveal the cartridge. You have flow so it's not clogged, but I'd check to see if there's actually a cartridge in there. Any hardware or big box store should have them, it's a regular household item.

The 800# gorilla in the salon is actually doing it. I've replaced faucets in our 42 GB. Took three weeks for my ribs to heal leaning on that door sill while stretching my full wide short length to undo the 1. faucet fixture, 2. hot water 3. cold water lines. Each item took a seperate trip whereupon the admiral suggetested "possibly a libation between sessions would ease the volume on your swearing. One boater already called 911. Said it sounded like your necktie got caught in an alternator belt - whatever that means."

Easy? Sure. Most boat stuff is easy - if you can get to it. Enjoy the journey. Likely you'll find many surprses behind the curtain.

Recomnend you upgrade to a marine grade faucet. Overtime your residential faucet will rust snd fail again. I have replaced most of my faucets with Ambassador faucets. They have a pull out sprayer and can be a dual purpose shower / sink faucet in the head. They work well in the galley as well. $200 on Amazon. There is a spray/ full flow adapter available as well for a few. dollars. I recomnend it.

Thanks, this sounds good product.
Delta has already sent the repair kit to me. I'll apply the repair first.

Recomnend you upgrade to a marine grade faucet. Overtime your residential faucet will rust snd fail again. I have replaced most of my faucets with Ambassador faucets. They have a pull out sprayer and can be a dual purpose shower / sink faucet in the head. They work well in the galley as well. $200 on Amazon. There is a spray/ full flow adapter available as well for a few. dollars. I recomnend it.

The 800# gorilla in the salon is actually doing it. I've replaced faucets in our 42 GB. Took three weeks for my ribs to heal leaning on that door sill while stretching my full wide short length to undo the 1. faucet fixture, 2. hot water 3. cold water lines. Each item took a seperate trip whereupon the admiral suggetested "possibly a libation between sessions would ease the volume on your swearing. One boater already called 911. Said it sounded like your necktie got caught in an alternator belt - whatever that means."

Easy? Sure. Most boat stuff is easy - if you can get to it. Enjoy the journey. Likely you'll find many surprses behind the curtain.

On one of our boats about 12 boats ago and many years, I was replacing a galley faucet. Reaching it was tough, not impossible but you could see impossible from there. I hate doing plumbing since I always get a drip. It literally took 12 painful tries before I got the thing to stop dripping. Did I mention I hate doing plumbing??? My wife used to ask me since I seemed to hate working on the boat why did I do it all the time. I asked her why she thought I hated working on the boat. She said because I swear all the time while I am working. I explained to her that swearing was just a part of working on the boat. It may not help but it makes me feel better…

Last edited:
what is the 800# gorilla?

Back
Top Bottom