Leaking sliding windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We would like to change the weather stripping on our 1984 President 41 salon sliding windows, the stripping seems to be on side tracks. Does anyone know how to remove the windows, without removing the frame? They don’t lift high enough to slide them out. Or is there any way to remove the stripping without removing the windows?

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 50
I have similar windows. I have looked at this as well I am assuming the window needs to be removed and hopefully there are screws holding the frame together. But not really sure. like you I realize that lifting the window will not allow it to come out. . I need to accomplish the same job on my boat. If you figure it out please keep us up to date

I just did this to starboard side of my boat, port next. I just did the bottom the sides and top are still okay. I was able to remove the old by prying it out with a need nose pliers and a screwdriver (it broke apart it was brittle)
Obviously sliding the window back and for to get it out from both sides.. I cleaned the tracks with a hose and scotchbrite. I then cut the new material about 1 in larger than needed . I also cut in the drainage slots/hole to match the aluminum slots I tide a string to one end of the new material with a small hole in it. then I lubed up the window, the tracks and the new weather stripping with soap water and I was able to pull it under the sliding windows. By pulling the string and sliding the window back and forth. I have done 4 windows so far, it easier than it sounds.
Good luck
Ron

This is about the only flaw in our boat as well. The windows have a frame from the outside with a track slides that the window rides in and then a cover piece over it. I have tried to salvage mine but it is nearly impossible. If you can remove the entire inner frame you can make new tracks out of UHMW plastic and reinstall. My Aluminum frame looks terrible (sanded, scratched and beat up due to removal) I am making all new frames and track with NO sliding windows. 2 separate pieces of tinted glass.

I just did this to starboard side of my boat, port next. I just did the bottom the sides and top are still okay. I was able to remove the old by prying it out with a need nose pliers and a screwdriver (it broke apart it was brittle)
Obviously sliding the window back and for to get it out from both sides.. I cleaned the tracks with a hose and scotchbrite. I then cut the new material about 1 in larger than needed . I also cut in the drainage slots/hole to match the aluminum slots I tide a string to one end of the new material with a small hole in it. then I lubed up the window, the tracks and the new weather stripping with soap water and I was able to pull it under the sliding windows. By pulling the string and sliding the window back and forth. I have done 4 windows so far, it easier than it sounds.
Good luck
Ron
Wow thank you that gives me some hope

Good luck
Ron
This is brilliant were you able to do this with the windows in place?

I have done this. My laminate glass slider was cracked and I had to replace it. You can purchase new stainless steel tracks with the weather stripping. It’s not cheap and it comes in 8’ lengths if I recall. In my case I took off the inside frame. The whole thing was a b$(&(ch, but I managed it. I also eventually had to remove the fixed window and rebed it. Somewhere on the forum is a thread on this process.

Jim

Here it is…

Jim

Did this on my 1973 Concorde to replace a couple cracked laminated glass panes. I had almost enough clearance to lift them out, needed maybe another 1/32". The tracks are plastic inside an aluminum frame and I'm assuming that when new you could deflect the plastic enough to force the window in or out. But after 50 years in the sun they've become too hard. My solution was to use a sharp chisel to shave enough material off the top of the track to get the pane out. I cut the new acrylic panes just a tiny bit smaller so they fit easily.

Obviously sliding the window back and for to get it out from both sides.. I cleaned the tracks with a hose and scotchbrite. I then cut the new material about 1 in larger than needed . I also cut in the drainage slots/hole to match the aluminum slots I tide a string to one end of the new material with a small hole in it. then I lubed up the window, the tracks and the new weather stripping with soap water and I was able to pull it under the sliding windows. By pulling the string and sliding the window back and forth. I have done 4 windows so far, it easier than it sounds with the help of window installation toronto.
Good luck
Ron
I have a new (1 year old)two story home. On the upstairs windows we had (horizontal) sliding windows installed. During the spring storms the windows that were facing the storm leaked like a sieve around the bottom seals and the window frame would fill up with water. If the wind was blowing hard enough the water would overflow into the house. The window people said that this is a characteristic of this type of window and weren’t going to do anything about it. The builder has since paid to install storm windows over the existing windows. Are sliding windows really that bad?

That is not correct. The windows should have weep holes that let the water drain. If you remove the sliders the bottom piece that the windows slide on should be able to be removed (it's like an inverted U channel).
Under that on the outside face of the frame is usually a slot for water to drain out. The usually problem is that contractors usually caulk and install trim over this weep hole.

Just google window weep hole.

Ron

Jim on JDCAVE, where did you purchase the stainless steel tracks ?

Back
Top Bottom