Steadying sail design/rigging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting the shots of the hull, this is really interesting!
It looks to me like the “fantail”? flat area that the rudder hangs from is added on to the original hull, completely destroying the sleek lines of the original displacement hull shape, and obviously creating a good deal of drag as well as throwing some square chine into the mix to further confuse the hull design.
I’m sure you could open up some interesting discussion about your hull over at boat design.com, if you are interested in understanding what’s happening down there!
I would certainly be interested in a discussion like that. I am not familiar with that web site.

The added ' air tank ' was recommended by a naval architect, which was involved in the ' corrections '. I don't have documentations however. What I know is from this forum, where some members sent in info, how this boat was built and altered.
The purpose of that air tank in the aft was to lift the boat up a bit. It was squatting too much. I think it worked somewhat, but there was a price to pay on the performance. I don't think I would want to remove this tank, or alter the hull any further. At one point I would consider a ' bilge keel ' option, but I have no solid plans on this.

Interesting discussion there. I am no expert but do agree that the added "air tanks" for buoyancy probably have a great hinderance on the following sea performance. They helped with the trim aspect of the boat but detracted from the handling aspect.

Interesting discussion there. I am no expert but do agree that the added "air tanks" for buoyancy probably have a great hinderance on the following sea performance. They helped with the trim aspect of the boat but detracted from the handling aspect.
Anytime you add features to a hull, blending their lines with the existing hull shape is important .
I would think that nicely faired “hips” would have been a more elegant solution, even at the drag cost of having a submerged and widened transom.

Are you saying that the airtank should be removed and ' hips ' installed, instead?

I am no NA it just seems it wasn't well executed, instead of a following sea be able to pass under the stern it hits a very abrupt wall below the waterline. It doesn't seem very hydrodynamic from any angle.

Thanks Charlie, you took the words right out of my mouth!
It’s LeoKa’s boat, totally his call, and his wallet!
The NA, if there was one involved, had no concern for anything other than a simple, easily built solution to stability at rest

Thank you for cheering me up. Lol.
Yes, it is what it is. I have not given up on a solution, but everything depends on future travels, budget, and age. The struggle continues.
No matter how I slice it, I need a competent NA who could make feasible solutions, which I can afford.
I suspect the ocean crossing dream is gone. However, if there was a way to make this boat capable for coastal cruising, a destination to Mexico, or Florida, could be still in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom